PDA

View Full Version : Roush short throw shifter problem.

Dan Brown
23-03-2009, 04:47 PM
I have a Roush short throw shifter and when i accelerate hard and go to change gear she dont seem to want to go in. I have concentrated when changing and made sure the clutch is all the way in and my changes are straight etc but i still have the same problem finding the next gear. I thought it might have been me trying to shift to quick but shifting quickly when normal driving doesn't pose a problem. Im baffled??? anyone ahd this problem or would know why??? Im thinkin of changing back to standard! :gears

LuS1fer
23-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Which gear? if you mean 3rd then it can be a common problem. Mine seems to work OK but the best is supposed to be the MGW shifter. I occasionally had the problem with fast shifts on the stock shifter.

benny.c
24-03-2009, 11:49 AM
The torque of the engine on higher powered cars can twist the shifter out of line when trying to shift. There's a part you can fit to stop this happening but I can't for the life of me remember what it is called :confused:

My Hurst shifter was better after fitting the supercharger for some reason - never miss 2-3 now.

I found the stock shifter horrible from 2-3 when pushing on.

Dan Brown
24-03-2009, 11:49 AM
It seems to be a problem with 2nd 3rd n 4th more so to third and forth. Fifth dont seem to be a drama. Why would this happen. If the clutch has disconnected from the drive i cant think what could cause it.

Ade
24-03-2009, 11:53 AM
I've noticed a problem when changing 2nd to 3rd, but this is only occasional, again when accelerating hard.

ChalkOutline
24-03-2009, 12:01 PM
The torque of the engine on higher powered cars can twist the shifter out of line when trying to shift. There's a part you can fit to stop this happening but I can't for the life of me remember what it is called :confused:

I too have read about this (so it MUST be real) :rolleyes:

I've had the Roush short shifter fitted for under a week. It is "short" and fairly stiff (I'm thinking it will free up a little over time).

What occurs to me is that the shifter is stilll changing the same physical gears within the gearbox, so any torque/alignment issues should happen regardless. Maybe the short shift just lets you "feel" the problem more (esp as you'll be shifting more aggressively as a result)? :confused:

LuS1fer
24-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Part of the cure with the aftermarket shifter is the poly bushes which stops the flex at either end. You can also fit better engine mounting brackets which increases noise but the engine doesn't twist when it revolves.

Dan Brown
24-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Part of the cure with the aftermarket shifter is the poly bushes which stops the flex at either end. You can also fit better engine mounting brackets which increases noise but the engine doesn't twist when it revolves.

Do they do poly bushes for the roush shifter then. If so how much and how difficult to fit. I really want this sorted before takin her on the strip. Im going up against my bro's charger at shakespear race way in May and will never live it down if i miss shifts or worse, Lose! Lol.

Old Boy
24-03-2009, 12:54 PM
I have a Roush short throw shifter and when i accelerate hard and go to change gear she dont seem to want to go in. I have concentrated when changing and made sure the clutch is all the way in and my changes are straight etc but i still have the same problem finding the next gear. I thought it might have been me trying to shift to quick but shifting quickly when normal driving doesn't pose a problem. Im baffled??? anyone ahd this problem or would know why??? Im thinkin of changing back to standard! :gears

Had a similar problem recently - selecting 1st and then into 2nd - the rest of forward gear changes were OK - selecting reverse was a bit of a problem.

Clutch adjustment - followed the instructions in the handbook on clutch adjustment (Lift the clutch pedal up with your foot while in gear then depressing pedal fully and feel the click) - seemed better but problem back again.

Dan Brown
24-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Had a similar problem recently - selecting 1st and then into 2nd - the rest of forward gear changes were OK - selecting reverse was a bit of a problem.

Clutch adjustment - followed the instructions in the handbook on clutch adjustment (Lift the clutch pedal up with your foot while in gear then depressing pedal fully and feel the click) - seemed better but problem back again.

Also find it hard to find reverse at times too. I really wanna try a standard shifter to see the difference. Will try the clutch thing.

LuS1fer
24-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Do they do poly bushes for the roush shifter then. If so how much and how difficult to fit. I really want this sorted before takin her on the strip. Im going up against my bro's charger at shakespear race way in May and will never live it down if i miss shifts or worse, Lose! Lol.

It already has the poly bushings. What I meant is that the stock rubber bushings will be worse in terms of flex. Check everything is tight but don't overtighten or you'll break it.

This is an article about the Hurst but they all operate on the same principle:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/02/HurstShifter/index.php

Arkady001
24-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Assuming that it's roughly the same design as the Hurst and FRPP items, it's possible the mounting bolts at the rear of the shifter unit are slightly loose - try removing the centre console and trying to move the shifter around - hopefully you'll be able to see if it is...
If so, jack up the car and check underneath that the attachment bolts are still tight...

It's easier if you remove the driveshaft, believe me...and it's a PITA whichever way you carve it up...
At the same time you can stick some more sound-mat insulation up in there to quieten it down if it's too noisy...

Dan Brown
25-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Spoke to my brother about this. He had to fit a torque strap to his charger because it was twisting so much. He recomends poly engine mounts as a last resort due to the vibration it could cause making the ride unpleasant. He thinks that the strap should cure it if there is no adjustment to be rectified on the shifter linkage. Do they do a torque strap for the 289?

LuS1fer
25-03-2009, 11:05 AM
I doubt it. It's a 281 anyway :p

The mounts will make it harsher and it's a lot of work which might be better directed to buying an MGW shifter - www.mgwltd.com

The difficulty with reverse is a normal feature of all these manual boxes and taking your foot off the clutch and depressing it again normally resolves it. Get it in my Mazda 5 too and it really annoys me.

Edited to add that I have a strut brace and a bottom A-arm brace which might help stiffen the whole thing up but equally may have no effect at all.....

Dan Brown
25-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Im only missing the upper strut and it's on my wish list anyway. Sounds like pheasable anyway, will chaeck the link. 281? explain, i thought we had 289ci

benny.c
25-03-2009, 05:35 PM
4.6L is 281ci :)

CaliSpecial
25-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Seems like this is a really common problem with the Roush Short Throw Shifter, and also the Hurst, although to a lesser degree. I've read several threads on it, but none suggesting a cure.

http://www.fnsweet.com/forums/05-09-roush-mustangs/39597-missing-third-speed-shifting.html

Seems the MGW is the way to go!

Andy.

LuS1fer
25-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Im only missing the upper strut and it's on my wish list anyway. Sounds like pheasable anyway, will chaeck the link. 281? explain, i thought we had 289ci

THe old Mustangs were 289ci or 4.7, ours are 4.6 or 281. The 5.4 is a 329/330

Dan Brown
25-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Ah right. Probs what confused me.