Mustang insurance from A-Plan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take for lacquer to harden?

How long does it take for lacquer to harden?

Some of you will know that I have sprayed some window louvers for my Mustang. All I need to do now is waite for the laquer to harden before flatterning and polishing. I used proper 2 coat car lacquer from the paint suppliers we use at work. I cant seem to find on the can how long it takes to harden. I put on about five coats and after 3 days its still soft. For those in the know how long should i have to waite before I can start to flattern back and polish? Also the first attemp stuffed up beause after spraying I put them in a oven at 45c to bake off which I shouldnt of done but was woundering now that they have had a few days to air dry this time, could it help the hardening by putting them back in the oven now?

If you have any knowledge that would be great

Cheers

Russ

No Mustang at the moment. Past: 1971 Mach 1 - 2005 Mustang GT - 1997 GT

Ie, if your doing a car wing it can be "touch" dry after a fairly short time even without the use of heating or a booth, was any of it 2 pac?
    3 days is way too long anyway.

Mocgb No
    touch dry won't be enough to flatten it. You'll "pull" it if you try to use wet and dry or anything else to flatten it prior to polishing it. It shouldn't be taking as long you say though.
    2006 Mustang GT Premium
    Manual
    Tungsten
    Pypes Pype Bomb Axle backs
    C&L CAI & 98RON tune

Horsey
    Capel 2007
    Capel 2008

"Internet Explorer is brilliant! Without it, you can't download Firefox"

Im not sure what you mean by saying "3 days is way to long" to long for what? It was single pack laquer that I used. I did the last coats Monday night and if I leave my finger on the paint for to long it leaves an imprint so its still to soft!

Russ

I would say there is something amiss here, even with the multiple coats you have put on it should be hard enough to flatten back by now !

Mocgb No
    Thats exactly what I mean... 3 days is a stupid amount of time to be still soft. As others have said, it should be touch dry in a few minutes, and hard within 48 hours tops.. a fraction of that if baked.

Something's not right there Russ.
    2006 Mustang GT Premium
    Manual
    Tungsten
    Pypes Pype Bomb Axle backs
    C&L CAI & 98RON tune

Horsey
    Capel 2007
    Capel 2008

"Internet Explorer is brilliant! Without it, you can't download Firefox"

Mocgb No
    A lot depends on how many coats you gave to much and it will never go hard 40 min bake at 85 deg then cool you should be able to flat and machine polish

HTH

I really hope there isant anything wrong as that would mean ive stuffed up again! when we say hard enough to flat back how hard are we talking? If i press my nail into into it it marks it, if i hold it for to long them it leaves a finger marks, is that to soft? (im guessing it is) If i have put to much lacquer on which i have a bad habbit of doing, what can I do to save haveing to strip all of the paint off for a secound time?
    Last edited by Rustang; 27-03-2009 at 07:29 PM.

Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustang View Post
    I really hope there isant anything wrong as that would mean ive stuffed up again! when we say hard enough to flat back how hard are we talking? If i press my nail into into it it marks it, if i hold it for to long them it leaves a finger marks, is that to soft? (im guessing it is) If i have put to much lacquer on which i have a bad habbit of doing, what can I do to save haveing to strip all of the paint off for a secound time?

leave them in the sun for a long time! take them to your local paint shop and ask if they can put them in the oven when they bake other cars! failing that the laquer wont dry, sorry not much else you can do. more dosent meen better in the paint world

Balls, I need to learn less is more! I was told on the phone by the paint suppliers not to flase dry the lacquer in the oven which is what I did when I first sprayed them, as soon as the last coat went on i put them in the oven so Im worried the bubbles will appear again if they went back in the oven. I had to strip it back that time! I dont really 100% know what Im doing if Im honest, Im only using the basic skills that I use at work to spray stuff be 99% of the time its just a grey primmer finnish! I thought I would save some money and learn some stuff if i did it myself looks like I have just messed up again! I cant belive I may have to strip the paint off again, man I suck!

Russ

Mocgb No
    just wait till the hotter weather and leave them in the sun. its a learning process been doing it for 25 years still f&^k up sometimes

I quess so, Just want to get them on!, will see what they are like next week! Cheers for the knowledge!

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Rustang View Post
    I quess so, Just want to get them on!, will see what they are like next week! Cheers for the knowledge!

Russ
    Is there somewhere less harsh than the oven but better than room temp - what about the airing cupboard or shelf above a radiator - can't do any harm? might help??

Don't do youself down though, I have seen your thread on the louvres and you have done a fantastic job making them -

When i said touch dry i meant dry to the touch, unless your using a booth you would'nt be trying to rub something down immediatly after painting.
    I'm not up with modern water based paint, but i have sprayed a few cars in my time and laquer is not the easiest thing to get right.

Mocgb No
    you could use either a heat gun or a hair drier for a bit to try and dry them or put next to a radiator. i am surprised that it is still soft after a few days with being a 1 pack laquer.

or it could just be a bad batch of laquer
    Last edited by elvis1985; 27-03-2009 at 11:15 PM.

I'm not crazy. my mother had me tested