Mustang insurance from A-Plan

Thread: Have I got a dodgy light conversion?

Have I got a dodgy light conversion?

I checked behind the light clusters when I bought the car for any 'slave bulbs' when I bought it, but I failed to notice this little bundle cable tied up out the way.

Sure enough, they flash with the indicators, so I'm guessing I need to get this rectified.

My cruise control works perfectly, and no other problems.

Reason I was digging around the area was because I recently found out that the rear side markers are actual lights and not just indicators, so I was poking around on how to access it (I wanted to be sure before levering the lense from the front).

I found that not only have the beed disconnected, but thay've run off with the bulb holders , anyone know where I can get some?

Mocgb No
    Nick (NMH) will be along with some advice on that
    Geoff

1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
    2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
    2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Those bulb holders in your picture look awfully similar to the side-marker ones!

Failing that, I'm sure I've got a couple lying around so if you do end up needing them drop me a mail.

Oh, and yes, you do need to get your wiring sorted!

Mocgb No
    Are the bulbs in your first pic for left and right indicators? (ie one for each side)

It looks like a conversion on cars done by Atlantic Sports Cars, as its the same as my '05, which was sold new by them. James tells me they have never had a SJB problem when I rang for advice, and they've probably sold more s197s than anyone in the UK in the last 6+ years.

My car has no rear marker lights either, so if you manage to get them working let me know
    Last edited by sonicbloo; 28-07-2011 at 11:01 PM.
    Paul

current ride(s): ........... torch red 2005 GT convertible ....................................sonic blue 2003 GT convertible..................................

gone but not forgotten ............. 1970 351-4v Mach 1..................1972 351-2v convertible.................1994 GT convertible

Quote Originally Posted by sonicbloo View Post
    Are the bulbs in your first pic for left and right indicators? (ie one for each side)

It looks like a conversion on cars done by Atlantic Sports Cars, as its the same as my '05, which was sold new by them. James tells me they have never had a SJB problem when I rang for advice, and they've probably sold more s197s than anyone in the UK in the last 6+ years.

My car has no rear marker lights either, so if you manage to get them working let me know
    Yes mate, they are for the indicators. While your comment does provide me with solace, the hundreds of threads stating 'slave bulbs in the boot mean SJB death' does the opposite.

The side markers on mine are just missing the bulbs holders and bulbs, then they should work.

Mocgb No
    I would not think so. You will have two more on the other side of the car.
    The use of bulbs is not the best / safest way of replaceing the load on the SJB box.
    The wiring looks to be neatly done so the convertion should be OK
    07 mustang GT/CS conv
    Vista Blue
    Cloth roof
    Black/dove seats
    Cantering on propane
    NICK

all I can say yet again on this topic is if done with relays and fuses then you should have no probs with slave bulbs think there is a lot of dodgy conversions out there where relays are not used so causing a lot of these coments and load resistors have there own issues as well, i should know had to dig a set out from 3inches into a styrene bumper pad after a poor istall by a company ie hot glue melts when hot dont use it to stick on load resistors they get roasting.

Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by NMH View Post
    I would not think so. You will have two more on the other side of the car.
    Hi Nick

mine has the same 2 bulbs on the drivers side, one flashes for each side. They have been put in the same location due to my car having the shaker 1000 fitted in the trunk

not sure if ALL atlantic conversions are like this or just the early ones, my car is May 2005, so will have been done before any SJB problems were known about. It's obviously been done for 6+ years and no problems so far (touch wood)

perhaps James (atlantic) could shed some light ?(no pun intended)
    Paul

current ride(s): ........... torch red 2005 GT convertible ....................................sonic blue 2003 GT convertible..................................

gone but not forgotten ............. 1970 351-4v Mach 1..................1972 351-2v convertible.................1994 GT convertible

Mocgb No

Load resistors or Bulbs are NOT required !

A few seconds cutting four component leads in the SJB, totally negates the requirement for dummy load resistors, or bulbs!

The following is used at your own risk etc etc....

The devices in the SJB used to control the rear lights are called highside drivers.

They switch on, and off, their associated lamp, but they also report back to the SJB's processor the 'status' of the load i.e.Bulb filament.

The 'status' output is 'high' under 'satisfactory load conditions', and switches 'low' when a 'fault' in the load circuit is detected.

Cutting the status pin (4), prevents the high side driver from signalling a 'fault' condition to the SJB onboard processor. The processor then goes 'merrily about its tasks', thinking that all is OK.

Below are pictures of the SJB with the covers removed.

The devices we are interested in are: RL1 14, RL2 18, and in the 2nd (lower quality pic, crap phone cam) 40 RR, 47 RR2 (note these last two orientation is inverted wrt to the first pic).

Cutting pin 4 (status pin) of the above mentioned devices will negates the requirement for dummy load resistors, or bulbs.

AS STATED BEFORE, DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Pinout of High side driver (2nd device is the outline used in the SJB)

Last edited by robbed666; 29-07-2011 at 05:43 PM.

"F..... your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside."
    "History is a set of lies that people have agreed upon."
    "In the game of chess you can never let your opponent see your pieces"

Blimey rob, your knowledge of this is scary.

So, would you suggest I remove my SJB, send it to you to cut the relevant bits, then refit and remove all my slave bulbs?

Mocgb No
    Sorry, but I don't work on other peoples cars, liabilty etc...

Just sharing what I've discovered about SJB lighting issues and 'loads' and for future reference......

I 'mapped' the other functions high side drivers as well.....

The CHMSL pin 39 is a favourite to go when all the rear brake lights are connected to it's output.

Head low Left, or Head low right, are the ones that shut down after a few seconds, if the rear fog light has been directly connected to either, to achieve a rear fog light on only dipped beam
    Last edited by robbed666; 29-07-2011 at 06:56 PM.

"F..... your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside."
    "History is a set of lies that people have agreed upon."
    "In the game of chess you can never let your opponent see your pieces"