Mustang insurance from A-Plan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Lass needing advice on getting first Stang.

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Jo
    Mocgb No

Newbie Lass needing advice on getting first Stang.

Hi Guyz

So if you read my introduction in the newbies section you will know who I am,if not I am Jo

I am a northern born and bred lass but was exported to Wiltshire around 10 years ago I am the wrong side of 40 and love cars!

First car was a Mk1 Capri early driving history was a few Minis (The Original BL Jobby) and my whole life has just revolved around cars ever since!

Current car is a Mercedes w124 230e of 89 Vintage affectionately known as Bruno but ever since my brother bought a Mustang II back in 1990 I have always wanted a Mustang

Sadly that II was short lived it was a hatch but most of the hatch was gone! It ended up being that rotten it was sold to somebody who gave it a send off as a Banger Racer

Anyway There have been a few cars on my long term Bucket List and a Mustang is one of them

I have always loved the underdog and I really want a mustang II but have realised the money i have its either a II or more realistically an SN95?

I think if I get an SN95 I will always pine for a II.........................................

I thought about posting in both II and SN95 sections but thought hey ill post here and get both points of view

I really want a V8 at least once in my life if its an SN95 I want a V8 if its a II I don't mind a V6 is that odd?

I do wonder if V6 SN95's are that bad? They seem to be very cheap.............

If I could get a driving,tested usable II for SN95 money id rather have a II I wouldn't care if it was a bit of a beater as long as it was legal

Ive seen a few II's go over the past year for the money I can afford but never had the funds back then,sods law huh?

But now It seems the prices are rising.

I recently spied a nice II for 4k but then over night the vendor decided it was worth another 2k just because it had an MOT and Bang no longer viable

So there you have it,looking for advice from both Mustang II and SN95 owners,I need an Automatic as I cant drive stick as they say in the good ole

Looking forward to your input guyz

Jo
    Last edited by Jollystang; 25-02-2017 at 08:44 PM.

My advice is to get an SN95 V8

I could give all sorts of reasons but let's just say my
    Opinion is SN95 Auto V8

It will be more reliable than a II and hopefully less rusty/rust prone

By putting the word out here you will have fifty sets of eyes looking out for one for you
    Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
    We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Real Name
    Clive
    Mocgb No
    Welcome Jo,

As Pete says a SN95 is probably your best bet if you're shopping with your head.

But if you do find a good II then go for it, nothing worse than not getting what you really want.

---1969 Sportsroof -----------------1986 GT-------------------1995 V6

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Jo
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by pmustang View Post
    My advice is to get an SN95 V8

I could give all sorts of reasons but let's just say my
    Opinion is SN95 Auto V8

It will be more reliable than a II and hopefully less rusty/rust prone

By putting the word out here you will have fifty sets of eyes looking out for one for you
    Thanks pmustang

I think deep down I know the SN95 is the safe option but the II keeps tugging

I never used to like the SN95 until one passed me a few months ago,they look more impressive in the flesh than photos do them justice

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Jo
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestang View Post
    Welcome Jo,

As Pete says a SN95 is probably your best bet if you're shopping with your head.

But if you do find a good II then go for it, nothing worse than not getting what you really want.
    Hi Clive

Just realised our Names are on the left (sorry Pete LOL)

Is that SN95 V6 one you own or owned? How did you get on with the V6?

I really want a V8 as I have never had one before but sometimes wonder if I should start of with a V6 and work my way up?

Mocgb No
    Welcome Jo, and commiserations on leaving the North!

I initially thought a II would easily be available for 4k (when one comes up for sale - which isn't too often)

However, on ebay at the moment there is a II currently bid up to 1950 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-musta...0AAOSwNnRYe9ev , and it looks to be an incomplete project/moneypit, so maybe prices are at last rising.

Based on that , an SN95 maybe your best introduction to a Mustang, or maybe a Fox Body 79-93. I've had 2 SN95 V8's and they both gave new car reliability, and there is little to worry about in terms of rust even though they are upto 23 years old now. You could get a V8 within a 4k budget, but you would get a better condition V6 for the same money.

Whatever you choose, good luck
    Paul

current ride ( ....and a Viper when 8 cylinders are not enough....)

......................sonic blue 2003 GT convertible........................

gone but not forgotten

70 351-4v Mach 1........72 351-2v convertible........94 GT convertible........05 GT convertible

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Jo
    Mocgb No
    Can anybody suggest any other good places to look?

I have been checking eBay,Gumtree,Autotrader,CarandClassic,Here

Any other places I should be looking?

Real Name
    Clive
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollystang View Post
    Hi Clive
    Is that SN95 V6 one you own or owned? How did you get on with the V6?

I really want a V8 as I have never had one before but sometimes wonder if I should start of with a V6 and work my way up?
    The SN95 in my sig was the first Mustang I got back in 2008 and still have it, it's a great little car never had any real trouble with it apart from having to change the gearbox fluid and accumulator pistons when i first got it to get rid of a gearbox shudder that can occur with the Japanese imports (although head gaskets are prone to fail).

The 86' GT is a lot more fun to drive as it has the V8 soundtrack

As sonicbloo says why not a Foxbody?

Quote Originally Posted by Jollystang View Post
    Can anybody suggest any other good places to look?

I have been checking eBay,Gumtree,Autotrader,CarandClassic,Here

Any other places I should be looking?
    Apart from the ones you've listed I would also look at Facebook as there are dedicated UK groups for each of the different types

---1969 Sportsroof -----------------1986 GT-------------------1995 V6

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Jo
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicbloo View Post
    Welcome Jo, and commiserations on leaving the North!

I initially thought a II would easily be available for 4k (when one comes up for sale - which isn't too often)

However, on ebay at the moment there is a II currently bid up to 1950 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-musta...0AAOSwNnRYe9ev , and it looks to be an incomplete project/moneypit, so maybe prices are at last rising.

Based on that , an SN95 maybe your best introduction to a Mustang, or maybe a Fox Body 79-93. I've had 2 SN95 V8's and they both gave new car reliability, and there is little to worry about in terms of rust even though they are upto 23 years old now. You could get a V8 within a 4k budget, but you would get a better condition V6 for the same money.

Whatever you choose, good luck
    Hi Paul

Yeah I saw the 75 II the worrying thing is its not far from me and had it had a whole tailgate I fear id be bidding!

I miss up North a little but still venture up. I hail from the Wirral

Ive never been a fan of the Fox Body nothing against them just not my thing.

I think if I got a V6 Sn95 id always wonder...................

What if???????????

I have no experience with the II, however i have owned my sn95 cobra for 10 years (since i was 18, might i add)

I have done almost exactly 100k miles since i bought it and has been used daily for almost the entire time i have owned it. Rain, snow, shine, all that fun stuff. It has been dead nuts reliable. For the first year i was chasing down small issues that kept me busy, and allowed me to learn a lot about this car. They never stopped the car from starting first time and were usually squeaks or rattles.

Its a shame you have left the north, i could have shown you around it.

Foxbody and sn95 cars are in my opinion are a great choice. They have a few of the quirks from the earlier cars yet you dont have to work on them anywhere near as often. I often read that if you buy a classic you must be prepared to work on it, however i havent owned one so i have no personal experience.
    1998 SVT Cobra
    1989 Thunderbird Super Coupe

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Jo
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra_neill View Post
    I have no experience with the II, however i have owned my sn95 cobra for 10 years (since i was 18, might i add)

I have done almost exactly 100k miles since i bought it and has been used daily for almost the entire time i have owned it. Rain, snow, shine, all that fun stuff. It has been dead nuts reliable. For the first year i was chasing down small issues that kept me busy, and allowed me to learn a lot about this car. They never stopped the car from starting first time and were usually squeaks or rattles.

Its a shame you have left the north, i could have shown you around it.

Foxbody and sn95 cars are in my opinion are a great choice. They have a few of the quirks from the earlier cars yet you dont have to work on them anywhere near as often. I often read that if you buy a classic you must be prepared to work on it, however i havent owned one so i have no personal experience.
    Looks like I will be looking for an SN95 unless anybody else tells me anything different Neill

Nobody has steered me in the direction of the II and im just not keen on the shape of the Fox,nothing against them just don't do anything for me.

Love the SN95's I am seeing here though

Real Name
    Paul
    Newbury, Berkshire (Berkshire Area Secretary)
    Mocgb No
    Hi Jo

Welcome to the forum

I'll echo what the others have said. The SN95 is a safe bet. The S197 in my signature, below, is my pride and joy, but I recently (well, just over a year ago!) bought a '99 V6 SN95 as a daily driver to replace a string of BMWs. You'll certainly have a lot more choice with an SN95, too.

Given my S197 is a V8, I was didn't mind if my SN95 ended up being a V6.....and that is indeed what I got. I wanted a "New Edge" as the '99-'04 cars became known, simply because I wanted the newest I could afford and I (slightly) prefer the later model shape. I could have got a V8 if I'd gone for an '94-'98 but condition was important to me. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the V6 although it'll never sound as good as a V8. There's probably not that much difference in fuel economy between them, either. Mine's an auto (4-speed + overdrive) and it's a nice enough 'box.

Where in Wiltshire are you? We have a monthly meet in Newbury (Berkshire) and often have a few guys n gals travel East from Wiltshire, so it might not be too far for you to travel to come and see us and have a look at some cars. You're certainly welcome to have a good nose around mine. Here's the link to today's meet (my SN95 is the filthy black one, but you'll see we had 2 V8s, the yellow one and the green one) :

http://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthre...t-January-2017

Real Name
    Adrian
    Mocgb No
    Don't know if this is any good to you?

I've no idea who the seller is but it popped up on one of the groups I belong to onFacebook this afternoon

Doesn't show any picture of the drivers seat that needs work

Dash picture shows it having done 164k Miles with no warning lights on whilst the engine is ticking over

Reg plate is BC 51 NBG

Might be worth a contact at least

Adrian.
    1998 - 4.6L V8 - Manual Box - Ford Mustang - Now Sold

Replaced With

2001 - 5.4L V8 - Auto - F150 Extended Cab StepSide 4x4

Real Name
    Paul
    Newbury, Berkshire (Berkshire Area Secretary)
    Mocgb No
    That seems a great price for a New Edge.....although the miles won't be in its favour. Not that they can't take the miles, as they certainly can

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Jo
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by Twin Turbo View Post
    Hi Jo

Welcome to the forum

I'll echo what the others have said. The SN95 is a safe bet. The S197 in my signature, below, is my pride and joy, but I recently (well, just over a year ago!) bought a '99 V6 SN95 as a daily driver to replace a string of BMWs. You'll certainly have a lot more choice with an SN95, too.

Given my S197 is a V8, I was didn't mind if my SN95 ended up being a V6.....and that is indeed what I got. I wanted a "New Edge" as the '99-'04 cars became known, simply because I wanted the newest I could afford and I (slightly) prefer the later model shape. I could have got a V8 if I'd gone for an '94-'98 but condition was important to me. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the V6 although it'll never sound as good as a V8. There's probably not that much difference in fuel economy between them, either. Mine's an auto (4-speed + overdrive) and it's a nice enough 'box.

Where in Wiltshire are you? We have a monthly meet in Newbury (Berkshire) and often have a few guys n gals travel East from Wiltshire, so it might not be too far for you to travel to come and see us and have a look at some cars. You're certainly welcome to have a good nose around mine. Here's the link to today's meet (my SN95 is the filthy black one, but you'll see we had 2 V8s, the yellow one and the green one) :

http://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthre...t-January-2017
    Hi Paul

What a shame I would of come along today had I known.

I do like the New Edge models but I did enquire with insurance and the best deals are with 20+ year models so id probably be looking at an earlier one

I do like the M plate with the Viper Stripes

I will try and get along to the next one and annoy you all with lots of questions,thanks ever so much for the invite

Jo

P.S I do like yours both of them
    Last edited by Jollystang; 25-02-2017 at 08:47 PM.