Mustang insurance from Cherished Vehicle Insurance Services
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S550 Euro NCAP

Real Name
    James

S550 Euro NCAP

Did anyone see the euro ncap result for the S550 today?

Totally getting that the classic car guys will think so what, but for a modern car it's a pretty shocking result. Apparently Ford stripped some of the safety systems from the Euro spec cars and this is the result.

http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/ford/mustang/26063

Banned
    Real Name
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by JT1 View Post
    Did anyone see the euro ncap result for the S550 today?

Totally getting that the classic car guys will think so what, but for a modern car it's a pretty shocking result. Apparently Ford stripped some of the safety systems from the Euro spec cars and this is the result.

http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/ford/mustang/26063
    Yep, they did to save the dosh
    all I have on mine could have been fitted to the Euro Stang

Real Name
    Alan
    Mocgb No
    Even though it has a lower rating, you would have a significantly better chance of surviving a prang in a S550 than a 'Classic'.

Alan

The lower rating is down to poorer pedestrian safety and the lack of safety systems.

Those 'systems' are the things that in a few years time start to fail on an intermittant basis, shutting the car down at the most in opportune moment and costing 's to diagnose and repair. Personally I'd rather do without them.
    Previously just 'Evomoose'

A few years old now but the general gist is the same....

Newer car versus classic. The new one might only score 2 on the NCAP test but I'm willing to bet my 68 wouldn't score a thing....

https://youtu.be/C_r5UJrxcck

Real Name
    Peter

Also looking at it, it is the rear passenger cell that is not quite so good - but the front (for adults in particular) is pretty safe.....

I don't have kids, and I am an adult - I'll be ok I reckon.

It'll probably still be safer than my 14 yo other car!

Real Name
    Steve
    Mocgb No
    General safety has indeed improved in recent years on ALL cars - but 2*; as the op states, is mighty poor.

A mate of mine had a lady swerve into him on the A303 in a Yaris - he was in his BMW at the time - The lady in the Yaris died, and my mate and his wife had serious injuries - ok, always a good chance of serious damage in an angled head-on on a fast road - combined speed was prob 50+50 - so 100mph equivalent.

The Yaris was, I believe 3star, and the BMW 4star but my mate says he will only go in 5* rated cars now, and has bought a merc - his wife is still reluctant to get in a car - even a year later.

Ford must surely strive to get that rating reviewed - it has so much importance these days

Real Name
    Kevin
    Mocgb No
    I read it performed poorly due to some design issues to make it perform better in the US tests.

Given the US market must be their priority I can see why they took this stance.

I've never thought twice when buying a car, that said I've never had a bad accident that would give me cause to think about it.

No doubt it may affect some but I'd guess price and design are more important in most peoples decisions on what cars to buy.

In summary I can't see them doing much about it. maybe tweak future models where they can.

I think safety ratings may matter more (as a marketing item) on mass produced rep cars or little hatchbacks than these sort of cars.

Real Name
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Evomoose2 View Post
    The lower rating is down to poorer pedestrian safety and the lack of safety systems.
    No the pedestrian safety is decent, it's the rear seat passenger/child safety that's poor, that and the lack of safety systems. Front seat passenger safety is also decent and fundamentally it's a safe car bar the rear seats, the belts don't even have pretentioners or belt up sensors for example.

The mad thing is those safety systems are on the US cars, they've removed them from the Euro spec cars as GoldenGooner says, apparently they'll be back on the Euro 18 model.

Totally hear what the classic guys are saying, but you buy a classic you accept that its safety specs are from a different era a bit like choosing to ride a motorcycle, you knowingly accept the risks. The astonishing part of the S550 rating is that pedestrians are better cared for than your kids! I have kids who will go in it from time to time so I'm seriously thinking I'll differ to the 18 car with the safety stuff put back on.

Mocgb No
    I imagine Ford wanted to sell it as cheap as they could to start off with so deleted everything they could to save money on.
    Do people check safety ratings before they buy a car, I don't buy new cars so couldn't really say one way or the other. Probably I, like many people, would buy a car because I like the look of it rather than the safety rating.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
    1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
    2005 Mustang GT 2014-
    2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

After playing that Euro NCAP video which looked OK did you watch the DPC Cars 2010 vs 2016 Mustang comparison? It made the 2016 look like a plastic toy car!!

After playing that Euro NCAP video which looked OK did you watch the DPC Cars 2010 vs 2016 Mustang comparison? It made the 2016 look like a plastic toy car!!

Mind you when you see the overhead shot you can see why its so bad

Real Name
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Anaconda View Post
    I imagine Ford wanted to sell it as cheap as they could to start off with so deleted everything they could to save money on.
    Do people check safety ratings before they buy a car, I don't buy new cars so couldn't really say one way or the other. Probably I, like many people, would buy a car because I like the look of it rather than the safety rating.
    True, but I'd rather have paid the extra 2.50 it would have cost to put the rear seatbelt pretensioners and seatbelt sensors in.

I never used to worry about Euro ncap particularly as I was a biker, but having had two near fatal crashes (neither my fault) I tend to think a lot more about it nowadays!

The irony is if Ford had taken the rear seats out and just put a luggage shelf there that car would probably get 4 stars, it'd be cheaper too as they'd save on the seats! Putting the seats in and doing such a half arsed job on the safety is to my mind embarrassing in the modern age.

Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by JT1 View Post
    True, but I'd rather have paid the extra 2.50 it would have cost to put the rear seatbelt pretensioners and seatbelt sensors in.

I never used to worry about Euro ncap particularly as I was a biker, but having had two near fatal crashes (neither my fault) I tend to think a lot more about it nowadays!

The irony is if Ford had taken the rear seats out and just put a luggage shelf there that car would probably get 4 stars, it'd be cheaper too as they'd save on the seats! Putting the seats in and doing such a half arsed job on the safety is to my mind embarrassing in the modern age.
    Probably cost a bit more than 2.50, more like 3.75!
    Regardless it does seem a bit out of date not to have had such things in the car. I would suggest that Mustangs have, in recent times, been built on a low budget, lets face it the S197 is not exactly the height of sophistication!
    Edit: Ford are a budget company with varying quality across its product line. I was working on a Connect van the other day and it had NO panel gap between bonnet and wings, the bonnet actually sat on top the wings!
    Last edited by Anaconda; 26-01-2017 at 09:08 PM.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
    1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
    2005 Mustang GT 2014-
    2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Banned
    Real Name
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Anaconda View Post
    Spot on, the Euro Stang is a lot different to the US car.
    In the US you have the Performance Package which is a lot more money and includes the big Brembo brakes, and even to get the Auto wipers you have to get the ACC Package.
    But on the Euro Stang, you get the brakes and the wipers and other bits from the PP cars as standard. So Ford to sell the car at a brilliant price over Europe cut out the safety stuff. Took the Shark Light Drls away and saved a few bob there.
    Now with this stuff, some of it having to be on the 18 RHD, the price will shoot up, or they will cut other things out.

As for Safety ratings, nope never have