Mustang insurance from Cherished Vehicle Insurance Services
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted: 69 V8 Fastback Project

Real Name
    Michael
    Mocgb No

Wanted: 69 V8 Fastback Project

As I said in my Intro Post, I'm looking for a 69 F/B as a project for the next ~ years!

The aim is to keep it as original looking as possible, but significantly resto-mod the powertrain, suspension and brakes, so I am after a basically sound and complete, but cosmetically very scruffy starter car, with as little major bodywork required as possible (this is the one thing I can't do myself). I'm looking at one option just now, but don't think I'll get that at a price I'm willing to pay for it and it's currently not within my saved budget yet anyway!

So, I want to widen the net a bit...

Max Budget: 18K. I'm currently at 12K and should have saved 18K by May (ish), but can stretch before then, if required.

Must Have:
    - Complete car (interior, glass, Engine. Tx, etc), preferably running.
    - V8 engine (makes future modification easier if I can keep the 5 points for an original engine with the DVLA - SBF preferred).
    - No significant modifications to body (no mini-tubs etc).

Like to to Have:
    - Minimum requirement for major bodywork (I get that any starter car will have rust, so a new floorpan isn't going to kill me, but as sound a frame/panels as possible is preferred!).
    - As OEM as possible.
    - Manual Gearbox.
    - 351 Engine (Either W or C).
    - Driveable (ease of moving in garage or on/off drive).

Not Fussed About:
    - Interior condition (don't care about tatty seats, peeling dash pad or manky carpet - the interior will be getting fully overhauled).
    - Exterior condition and paint (will be getting painted and I plan to fully overhaul the exterior too).
    - Location (Not fussed whether its a UK or US located car, but import costs need to be included within the overall budget).
    - Original Spec (Base car or Mach 1 - not fussed - condition is far more important).

If anyone knows of/has/wants to sell/can source something that can meet that requirement, I'd be very interested!!
    Last edited by Mike_Mac; 28-01-2017 at 11:37 AM.
    1970 302 Fastback - Back on the road sometime this century... https://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthr...od)-Eventually!

Real Name
    John
    Mocgb No
    I would say contact Paul, GT500 CLONE on here. He gets some great cars of that era. Look down for sales to see a very recent post of car he sold & another for sale.

Recent link. http://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthre...-sale-%A314995

As per above. Paul is your man. Also Javed seems
    to get in a fair share of this era of mustangs
    Last edited by pmustang; 28-01-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
    We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Real Name
    Michael
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by mgcobra View Post
    I would say contact Paul, GT500 CLONE on here. He gets some great cars of that era. Look down for sales to see a very recent post of car he sold & another for sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmustang View Post
    As per above. Paul is your man. Also Javed seeks
    to get in a fair share of this era of mustangs
    Thanks guys, I did contact Paul about both of the ones he had up recently, but they had sold. He did put me in touch with someone else who does have one that's available now but, as said, I suspect it'll prove outside my budget and what I'd be willing to spend on it, currently. Maybe not - haven't seen it yet(!) but want to widen my net for other options, IYSWIM.
    1970 302 Fastback - Back on the road sometime this century... https://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthr...od)-Eventually!

Mocgb No

69 mach 1

hello all...thx for your recommendations....i offered this guy a 69 351 m code auto mach 1...original 351 4v windsor car...my mate has owned for 7yrs...rock solid car...runs..needs resto...just some minor repair to floor pans (minor) 15k...you dont get much better deal for 15k....and he is not going to find a nice car under 25k-30k.
    you cant even find in states cheap, as they seem more expensive there....keep an eye on ebay, as my mate will be listing over weekend.
    Last edited by GT500 CLONE; 28-01-2017 at 02:38 PM.

69 MACH 1 351/4V AUTO
    69 428 COBRAJET 4-SPEED (SOLD)
    69 GT500 AUTO (SOLD

Real Name
    Michael
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by GT500 CLONE View Post
    hello all...thx for your recommendations....i offered this guy a 69 351 m code auto mach 1...original 351 4v windsor car...my mate has owned for 7yrs...rock solid car...runs..needs resto...just some minor repair to floor pans (minor) 15k...you dont get much better deal for 15k....and he is not going to find a nice car under 25k-30k.
    you cant even find in states cheap, as they seem more expensive there....keep an eye on ebay, as my mate will be listing over weekend.
    Hi Paul, true but, as I said to both you and Derek, although I am interested in that car I'm not in a position to easily buy just now - not at that price anyway.

When he was going to have it up for sale in about a month's time it would have been less of a stretch, but he's pulled it out of storage less than a week after we spoke (fair enough). He contacted me immediately on Fri and suggested I view on Sat PM, which, for various reasons, couldn't happen (other long-laid plans, time and distance). He wasn't keen on a Sunday viewing (again fair enough), so I planned to get in touch on Mon and try to get up early next week.

However, he's literally just texted me, saying it's on eBay, so I've asked about viewing on Tue. Once I've seen it, I'll know whether I'm happy to buy (if it's as you've described (not reason to doubt you at all!) then it should be fine. If someone else buys it on eBay before than - that's my loss!!

TL : DR - Interested, don't yet have the money (easily, anyway), could find the extra, but not until I've viewed the car.
    Last edited by Mike_Mac; 29-01-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Real Name
    Chris
    Bexhill-on-Sea, Birthplace of British Motor Racing

Michael,

Good choice of model year.

69/70 generally cheaper than 65-68 but not so many of them in the UK, so choice will be an issue.
    Paul or Javed probably your best bet.

I think your budget will be very challenging, but might be doable, the one thing is though these cars sell quick at that kind of price point as everyone looking to get in mustangs at a low price point, compared to say 65-68 fastbacks and of course fastbacks of any age are desirable, not that I'm biased with a 67 and 70....

I would say that bodywork and some rust repairs go hand in hand, it's the nature of the cars I'm afraid.

I'm sure you've done enough research, if want some pointers on 69/70, have a look at my resto thread

http://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthre...0-Mach-1-resto

Chris

Mind if I adjust your shift stick?

Real Name
    Michael
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox999 View Post
    I think your budget will be very challenging, but might be doable, the one thing is though these cars sell quick at that kind of price point as everyone looking to get in mustangs at a low price point, compared to say 65-68 fastbacks and of course fastbacks of any age are desirable, not that I'm biased with a 67 and 70....

I would say that bodywork and some rust repairs go hand in hand, it's the nature of the cars I'm afraid.
    Cheers Chris, very true - I've been looking for a while, but, as said, this came available a bit too early. I'll view on Tue and see what happens.

ETA - I'd already read your build thread - found it very interesting - pity you decided to put it up for sale in the end, but someone's getting a very good car!
    Last edited by Mike_Mac; 29-01-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Real Name
    Michael
    Mocgb No
    Now Sold (not to me). Proves that my initial gut instinct that the price was right, was right. Oh Well. Search continues...

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    javed
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Mac View Post
    Now Sold (not to me). Proves that my initial gut instinct that the price was right, was right. Oh Well. Search continues...
    might have a 69 sportsroof coming up for sale 302 v8 c4 etc arizona car original floors

Real Name
    Phil K
    Mocgb No
    Speak to Gazza on here. He has a nice 69 Mach 1for sale, yes it's outside you budget but it will show you what you could buy for a little more.

Phil

Classic American Restoration Services
    01992 890969..............07590 431511
    www.totalmustang.co.uk ... www.philsworkshop.co.uk
    https://www.facebook.com/classicamer...rationservices

Mocgb No

69 mach 1

hello all...i did say it was cheap...for the spec etc, it should have been more, as he ended up having a lot of people interested in less than than a day.
    15k cars dont turn up everyday now, and as solid as my mates car....i know you said the search continues, but they are not going up for sale in the uk
    javed says of a 69 sportsroof which maybe ideal, but dont leave it too long, as that will get sold also.
    same old thing, if you got more to spend, you could get something better, so worth thinking about

69 MACH 1 351/4V AUTO
    69 428 COBRAJET 4-SPEED (SOLD)
    69 GT500 AUTO (SOLD

Real Name
    Michael
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by GT350 View Post
    might have a 69 sportsroof coming up for sale 302 v8 c4 etc arizona car original floors
    PM sent...

Quote Originally Posted by phil k View Post
    Speak to Gazza on here. He has a nice 69 Mach 1for sale, yes it's outside you budget but it will show you what you could buy for a little more.

Phil
    seen that - lovely car, but too good! I want a scabby one because I want a project, but also a blank canvas. I wouldn't want to start pulling that to bits and doubt there's much needing done!

Quote Originally Posted by GT500 CLONE View Post
    hello all...i did say it was cheap...for the spec etc, it should have been more, as he ended up having a lot of people interested in less than than a day.
    15k cars dont turn up everyday now, and as solid as my mates car....i know you said the search continues, but they are not going up for sale in the uk
    javed says of a 69 sportsroof which maybe ideal, but dont leave it too long, as that will get sold also.
    same old thing, if you got more to spend, you could get something better, so worth thinking about
    yup, the only pity was that Dereks came up when I didn't have the money, which I've now managed to sort out. Basically if something comes up within my overall budget now then I'm in a position to go. If that means one in the US then that's no issue.

Real Name
    John
    Mocgb No

Cool

Not sure if yo have seen this 69 fastback but it seems to be the kind of thing you are looking for? Not mine by the way.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1969-FORD-...25.m3641.l6368

1965 Mustang GT 350 Race Car
    Previously 1969 Mach 1 DLP 3J
    and PRO 889L

Real Name
    Michael
    Mocgb No
    Cheers John,

I hadn't seen that one yet, so thanks, although it's probably too much to take on because of the lack of glass and not being 'weather-tight'.

I would ideally like to start from as complete a car as possible (rolling) to allow me to do a lot of pre-work on the drive before getting it to a shop to get whatever bodywork needs doing done. I think this one would have to be done the other way around - especially as it'll need to be on a body cart.

It's saved for now, so I'll have a think whether it could be done...

PS rather than create a specific tech thread, what's the collective view on this engine bay's condition?

[Removed after Photobucket re-shuffle!]

The blown shock tower I can spot already, but does that look like a very rusty engine bay that's been sprayed over, or is that just me? (not a rhetorical question - I've still not had a chance to physically go over one of these yet, so don't know what looks 'normal' or not!).
    Last edited by Mike_Mac; 19-02-2017 at 04:18 PM.