Mustang insurance from A-Plan

Thread: Brake problems

Mocgb No

Brake problems

Hi All

Looking for some advice

Not used car (68 fastback) for a few weeks decided to take it for a drive today

Backed out of garage and pressed brake pedal and noticed hissing noise and pedal goes straight to the floor

Looked around for leaks and found fluid where master cylinder joins servo also jacked up car and removed rear drums and both cylinders appear to be leaking
    Front has discs and looks ok no visible fluid leaks

I am assuming master cylinder kaput as are rear wheel cylinders but not sure about hissing sound when pedal pressed

Any help will be gratefully accepted

Thanks in advance

Rob

Mocgb No
    I think you know what is needed here, a complete replacement of all the hydraulic components before you drive again, and that includes flexi hoses and any hard lines that have visible corrosion.

You can never have enough black under the hood.

I think that the master cylinder has failed allowing you to press the pedal to the floor and the hissing sound is from the brake servo as it moves more than normal. The fluid leaking between the master cylinder and servo will go into the servo so you need to get the servo off and tip out the fluid as it can damage the servo. As said with a failed master cylinder and leaking rear cylinders it sounds like a full brake system rebuild is on the cards.
    Allan

Mocgb No

Brake problem

Thanks to you both for replies

Regards

Rob