Mustang insurance from A-Plan

Thread: Original vs Reproduction panels

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Original vs Reproduction panels

Hi

Could not find this info in the search unless I am missing it.

I am currently restoring a Mach 1 1970. Have any of you got any experience with original vs reproduction parts specifically panels etc.

I need a new bonnet and am wondering if the reproduction bonnet will fit well or not. I have found one from CJ pony and one from Macs. Macs is cheaper at $250.

National parts depo have an original ford one for $450.

Any advice from your experience would be very helpful.

Many thanks

Hello

For such a crucial part and as the cost of shipping will make up a large part of the purchase I would purchase a Ford Tooling bonnet. this will be the one NPD sells. This is not original Ford but made on mostly or totally original Ford Stamps and Dies.

You can also speak with JT at NPD and ask him his opinion on the Ford tooling vs Non Ford tooling bonnets they sell

If the non Ford tooling bonnet needs abonch of body work then the difference in price becomes small change quickly.
    Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
    We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Thanks for the advice pmustang

I will give them a call and may have to go for the ford stamped one then.

Real Name
    Chris
    Bexhill-on-Sea, Birthplace of British Motor Racing

Quote Originally Posted by pmustang View Post
    Hello

For such a crucial part and as the cost of shipping will make up a large part of the purchase I would purchase a Ford Tooling bonnet. this will be the one NPD sells. This is not original Ford but made on mostly or totally original Ford Stamps and Dies.

You can also speak with JT at NPD and ask him his opinion on the Ford tooling vs Non Ford tooling bonnets they sell

If the non Ford tooling bonnet needs abonch of body work then the difference in price becomes small change quickly.
    Peter is spot on
    Chris

Mind if I adjust your shift stick?

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Yeah the ford tooling one on NPD is only $150 more than the other so may as well get that if the fitment will better.

As previously said, Peter is correct. My car had some cheaper replacement panels on it when I bought it, so despite the fact they were rust free, they took a lot of work to 'fit' and look presentable. In the end it might have been cheaper and quicker to go and buy new quality panels and junk these ones...
    Ferds.

'66 Coupe (is that a Coo-pay... or a Cooop?) V8 289 Auto

That's not an oil leak... it's just my car marking its territory..