Mustang insurance from A-Plan

Thread: American Super Stock entry Easter

Mocgb No

American Super Stock entry Easter

Finally got the Mach1 ready for entry to American Super Stock at York Raceway. Hoorah. It's been 3 weeks of annoying issues (mainly brake system) but resolved today. Line lock tested fine, brake proportioning valve set, then at 5:30 I discovered the alternator has failed! 47 year old spare fitted & works ok - phew.

RWYB tomorrow (Saturday) then sign up on Saturday evening for racing Sunday & Monday. Talking to veteran racer Des Taylor he says I can run in Sportsman also at no extra cost.

Some rain predicted (Met Office forecast for Seaton Ross) but looks like some action will be possible on all days. Anyone coming along?

Real Name
    DJDaffyd
    Mocgb No
    Good luck!
    2010 GT, 5 speed, 3.73, Shaker 1000, Roush short throw, Eibach Adj. Swaybars, Eibach Pro Kit, Tokico DSpecs, Steeda Adj. Front Endlinks, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda Adj. Panhard, UMI UCA, BMR LCA and relocation, BMR safety loop, Stoptech brake lines, EBC Yellowstuff and slotted rotors, Hurst Roll Control, Borla Stingers and x-pipe, & SCT Tuner

Mocgb No
    All the best, let us know how you get on.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
    1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
    2005 Mustang GT 2014-
    2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Mocgb No
    So, quick report then:
    Saturday ran several wheelspinning 14.9s at 93mph before I learned to launch like a granny to get the 60' time down from 2.5 to 2.3 and got two 14.69s. Lost mph to 88 in last two passes which was puzzling.
    Sunday, half an hour before quali I found that the valvetrain was clattering. Managed to stay calm, whipped off rocker covers and found a rocker stud had backed out of the head - hence loss of mph. Just made it into quali 1, ran pretty poor 14.9 on a 14.6 dial then it rained. No more racing.
    Monday I dialled in 14.6 again but had inconsistent runs with spin running around 14.9. I was convinced to run 14.8 in the first round as it seemed more likely I would to it. In ASS I did a fairly poor light but the other guy red lit - yay my first round victory! That felt good. First round of Sportsman I was up against a much slower car. I did a poor light at about .95 and he did a .56, to add insult to injury the car ran really well & did the 14.60 I had been predicting from previous times. Pretty annoying but fair. Second round of ASS and I'm up against a 12 sec Z28. I had a good reaction but then lost traction in first, go off it, back on, spun again, grabbed 2nd, spun again, third ok howling toward finish, grabbed 4th just as Camaro goes flying by right before the finish. If I'd had the 14.6 then I would have won. Oh well. He went on to be 2nd in final round.

Plans for next time - Buy some Quick Times to hopefully hook up, get into the 13s & be more consistent.

Well done, is it a 351 cleveland ?
    Dodge Dart GTS 440 RPM heads .590 cam NA 3150#
    1.44 60ft 6.43 at 106.78, 10.14 at 132.88 mph
    Best ever 60ft 1.36

Mocgb No
    Nope, it's a 429 4v motor out of a '69 Galaxie 500 XL. 10.5:1 cr, bit of porting, mild cam (.52" lift & 220 degs or so), headers, lame-o Torker manifold and 750cfm 3310 vs Holley. Putting a Performer on it soon as I get time.

Mocgb No
    So I elected to not race the Mustang at the last York meet as I was assisting running of my NEW car - a competition altered which I just bought off Phil Toppin. I have formed a team with veteran drag racer Des Taylor driving and crew provided by Karen Taylor, Nathan Askey and Ian Loasby. We have named the car 'Thundergod'. Pictures later. We managed to win Super Cup on Sunday despite handling issues and bad side wind - Des certainly has balls! Monday we dropped the slicks down from 7 to 4 psi & the car ran a lot better, down to 8.86 @ 149mph and we won Super Cup again. What a fantastic weekend!

This coming bank holiday is a VW festival at York Raceway, with normal race classes on Monday. We will run the altered on Sunday to dial it in a bit more then race it on Monday. As the crew can deal with the car now I will also race the Mach1 on Monday on my brand new Quick Times.

If any of you get to York, come & say hi.

Mocgb No
    We didn't do very well with the altered, it was very hot on the Sunday with poor air which exacerbated a rich condition we were trying to sort out. Due to possible water in the oil we dropped out of competition on Monday to prevent engine damage. Oh well.

In the Mach1 I was rubbish on Sunday as I was so flustered by working on the altered's Dominator etc. Monday was a much better day for me, I got thru first round of Super Stock on a lesser breakout, luckily had a bye in the 2nd round. In the semi-finals I was up against last year's champion and no 2 qualifier Richard Grainger in his immaculate 10 sec Roadrunner. For the first time I did everything right, got a good light, the car launched well and hit all the shifts. As the finish line came near Richard was still way behind so I was able to get off the throttle twice to make sure I didn't break out then gas it again over the line half a car length ahead. I couldn't have done any better. What a brilliant feeling! I lost in the final mainly due to a bad loss of traction but never mind, still very pleased with the result. The Mopar mafia have certainly noticed me (actually they're all very friendly and helpful).