Mustang insurance from Cherished Vehicle Insurance Services
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another case of supermarket rash

Another case of supermarket rash

This morning the wife noticed a nasty set of scratches on the passenger side front wheel arch and bumper of my S197. Yesterday we were in Sainsbury's and I parked at the end of a bay and reversed in but it looks as if a dreaded 4X4 has scuffed the car by the height of the marks. My car is Performance White and I tried Halfords for a can of paint but the closest they had was Diamond White which is too Ivory however the white primer was a very good match so I ended up rubbing down the marks, filling them with fine modelling filler with two coats of primer and then clear gloss lacquer. Its worked fine and the marks are almost invisible. A couple of hours work I didn't want but what can you do? I always park away from the busy areas but as soon as I park somewhere there's a car next to me with a foot gap. I am sure many people can only park their cars if they use a neighbouring car as a guide to drive into the space. That is why you keep seeing empty car parks with a few cars parked next to each other.
    Allan

It's for this reason that when mine is on the road I'll be fitting front and rear dash cameras. If the worst happens and someone hits the car and then drives off at least I'll have the opportunity to go to the police and have them up in leaving the scene of the accident.

Yes, these things happen but it doesn't take much of a person to leave details or hang around to see if they can do anything to put it right
    1968 Fastback Restomod in Progress...

I have been incredibly lucky with my cars when it comes to car parks whereas my wife's Corsa gets battered every week.

Two of my cars have Dash Cams with parking monitoring though, just in case
    Current Mustang Red 1965 Coupe - Previous Mustangs 2008 S197, 1965 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    It's for this reason that when mine is on the road I'll be fitting front and rear dash cameras. If the worst happens and someone hits the car and then drives off at least I'll have the opportunity to go to the police and have them up in leaving the scene of the accident.

Yes, these things happen but it doesn't take much of a person to leave details or hang around to see if they can do anything to put it right
    It would be an interesting test to get some footage of someone hitting your car then leaving the scene. I bet if you took the footage to the police they wouldn't do a thing - its not their priority. If you listen to Cressida Dick its all about funding and numbers and getting their diversity statistics right.
    Allan

Mocgb No
    Our cars are always unmarked when we come to sell them..and thats by parking away from everyone and walking that extra bit..

If you have to park...avoid parking next to cars and vans that are clearly kiddie wagons..and scruffy..
    coz they dont give a damn...

We have manged dent and scratch free for 20 years...so must be doing something right..
    50 Ford Shoebox Custom Hot Rod Led Sled
    1967 Camaro SS 350
    1967 Mustang Fastback 302
    1957 Chevy 3100 Stepside
    1934 Ford Hotrod 5 window
    2005 Ford Mustang GT
    Dax Cobra 350ci

In this densely populated part of the south east its not always possible to park away from other vehicles. If I park in the supermarket car park I always park away from the crush, in the furthest corner as I did on this occasion, but there is always someone. Before Easter I went to Bluewater early on a Tuesday morning. The car park was empty and I parked in the end bay furthest from the shops. There was about 20 empty spaces next to me. On my return the car park was still empty but there was one car parked half in my bay a foot from my drivers door so I had get in the passenger side. That had to be deliberate. I can't repeat here what my daughter wrote on the car's windscreen in lipstick. I'd love to keep my car scratch free - its the other pr@ts.
    Allan

Mocgb No
    Thankfully I don't supermarket shop or park my car where it is at risk of getting bashed very often but the "its only a car" thoughts of most really make me angry. It is not just a car it is somebodies hard worked for property, to me its no different from backing a JCB through their garden wall "its only a garden wall" and driving off.

I think if I am ever in the position to really not care about fuel economy I'll buy another Mustang and do a proper mad max job on it. Replace all the removable panels with new ones formed from 5mm Hardox, the rest will have 5mm Hardox plate welded on and painted with 3/4 coats of bedliner. Replace the side skirts with nerf bars made from scaff poles, a big tow bar on the back and a big ugly rusty pushbar (made out of scaffolding tubes) on the front; at least then the prats would do more damage to their own cars. Just don't step out in front of it at any speed; that would be ugly.
    2006 GT in Redfire metallic with 18" polished alloy Bullit style wheels and a few non standard tweaks

Build Thread: http://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthre...tang-GT-thread

Best ET so far at York Raceway: 13.0920 @ 103.71mph

I bought my S197 as a daily driver when I retired. The idea was that I wouldn't be doing very many miles. Fortunately, and potentially a problem, is that retirement has been much more active than I thought it would be so I am actually doing a fair few miles. I also don't want to be in a situation where I won't use the car because of fears about scratching and damage etc. If I get like that then I can't enjoy owning the car. I would never park it where it is obviously dodgy but a fairly empty supermarket car park should be safe enough. I used to park my Ford Focus away from other vehicles too because I hate scratched up tatty looking cars but I also know some people really don't care.

The idea of having a Mad Max machine is quite appealing at times. I bet no one would park anywhere near it!!
    Allan

Allan. Sorry to hear this

You may as well call your insurer and tell them I did it.

I am currently in AZ USA. The last accident I am being blamed for was when I was in North Carolina and the car was also parked. Still cannot get that cleared up.
    Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
    We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Peter,

Happy birthday by the way and enjoy Arizona.

Not long after my son got his car he received a couple of calls on his mobile saying they were phoning about his recent accident. He got quite worried but I said to tell them to go forth and multiply. I guess these are the ambulance chasing lawyers. Its all done now, if I phoned my insurance company I am sure it would put my next premium up even if I didn't claim.
    Allan

Real Name
    Paul

Really annoys me that they park next to you when the car park is empty. I used to park across two bays, right on the white line when the car parks weren't busy. It's a bit selfish but less selfish than those I was trying to avoid. Strangely, if you do this no-one will use the other 1/2 bays left vacant and will still park between the lines therefore giving you plenty of space. I doubt it'll work at Bluewater etc. as they probably have clampers who will see your parking as a way to earn cash even if the car park is empty.

I've found the best way is to internet shop. Not only does it remove the threat to your car, I've found it removes the threat to other the shoppers that dither around in front of me!!!

Real Name
    Neil
    Mocgb No

The way forward

What we need are more CCTV cameras in car parks which the footage can easily be accessed to catch these careless folk who damage our cars. A zero tolerance policy would greatly reduce the damage caused by hunting down these dogs and making them pay for the damage caused. I did this a few years ago and the transit van owners that damaged my car swore blind that they we never even in Southend until the day before the court hearing. They then "volunteered" to pay the 2,000 damage + costs. Some hassle but a very satistfying result.

Real Name
    Chris

I think another part of the problem is that even when you park away from other cars in open spaces....theres always that 1 person who likes the look of the mustang and wants to park next to it.

Every time I park at work or at supermarket etc I have spaces either side but when I come back there's always a vehicle next to mine when there are 5 empty spaces next to us

MOCGB Paid Member Baggie Austin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dave Austin

Quote Originally Posted by ChubbyThumbs View Post
    I think another part of the problem is that even when you park away from other cars in open spaces....theres always that 1 person who likes the look of the mustang and wants to park next to it.

Every time I park at work or at supermarket etc I have spaces either side but when I come back there's always a vehicle next to mine when there are 5 empty spaces next to us
    Agree this used to happen to me all time time!!

Real Name
    mark

I feel for all you Guys. Had lots of similar things happen to me:

Bought my Skyline on a Friday, took my daughter swimming on the Sunday, parked in what I thought was a safe space came out to find blus paint strips and scraps the whole length of the car, 600 later they had gone................................

The wife went to visit a friends and parked in their road and went shopping with her mate, when she came back huge dent in the passengers door and yellow paint on the 4x4 across the road, guy denied it was him until we got the Police involved, xxxx.

I too, now back across two bays if I take the car out shopping, away from everyone and if questioned I tell them it's to stop morons like them beating up my car with their crappy driving, usually works.

OldJonesey