Mustang insurance from A-Plan

Thread: Axle Noisy

Real Name
    Colin
    Mocgb No

Axle Noisy

Can any one help please, today CeeJay finally got her MOT and for the first time I got to drive her and to my disappointment the axle makes some strange noises when turning sharp at roundabouts etc.
    I believe I need a rebuild so if any of you kind ladies and gentlemen out there could point me in the direction of some one that can help I would be very appreciative.
    My 1969 428 Super Cobra Jet ,
    Now back on the road for the first time in 30+ years

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    javed
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by 428 SCJ View Post
    Can any one help please, today CeeJay finally got her MOT and for the first time I got to drive her and to my disappointment the axle makes some strange noises when turning sharp at roundabouts etc.
    I believe I need a rebuild so if any of you kind ladies and gentlemen out there could point me in the direction of some one that can help I would be very appreciative.
    possibility that you have a detroit locker if your car is a genuine scj yes these axles are noisy when going round corners and roundabouts thats the way they came from factory.

MOCGB Paid Member Martin Cooper's Avatar

Mocgb No
    Looks like a job for the super hero -
    Sound Insulation .

Mocgb No
    if it does require a rebuild, your not far from hauser racing, lot of experience in these axles.
    davey

Mocgb No
    Difficult without knowing exactly which differential type you have in there.

A few common causes include-

A traction loc (LSD) with the incorrect oil , ie one without the additive, this makes the clutch pack 'snatch' .

worn planetary gear pinions.

Wheel bearing worn.

A mechanical type locking differential, like mentioned before these things can make some alarming noises which are quite normal for the type.

or of course the whole unit is simply munted and needs a complete rebuild.

It may be worth considering importing a whole built up centre section from the states, plenty on offer on the likes of Ebay , and importing it via Ron Fentons shipping deal, worked for me & was surprisingly cost effective.
    Last edited by mach1mike; 21-04-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Mines going to Hauser shortly as well. Highly recommended

Does sound like you have a noisy locker or limited slip.

If it's a Detroit locker and it sounds like the opening salvo in a nuclear bombardment then that's normal
    Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
    We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Mocgb No
    Hauser's highly recommended. Had the rear end on my 70 overhauled there. Honest advice and good to deal with, and like Davey says, they are only round the corner (Finedon).

Real Name
    Dean

You Can put the friction modifier in a Detroit locker and it will make it a lot quieter I have used it and it works well
    Cheers Dean

Real Name
    Colin
    Mocgb No
    Thank you all for your advise, I ended up sticking 3 pints of oil with friction modifier in it and its not half as bad not BUT there is another problem a vibration through the drive train from 1500 revs to around 3500 even the Interia mirror is vibrating, turns out the gearbox got damaged falling of a bench and the bell housing shattered "C6 Auto" I believe that it is no longer running in line with the crank shaft, the gear box is very quiet and shifts smoothly, or could it be the prop shaft ?

Real Name
    Barnaby

Unless the box has cracked in such a way where it is out of line when mounted then it shouldn't be an issue, I've seen boxes run for years on cars with cracked bellhousings (mostly Land Rovers)

How are your UJs in the prop looking or have any balance weights fallen off?

Real Name
    Dean

If you have had the prop off did you mark it and replace in the same position if not try spinning it may just be out of balance

Dean

Real Name
    Barnaby

Shouldn't make a difference, they aren't phased with a central slip

Real Name
    Colin
    Mocgb No
    I have had a similar experience when I squeezed a v8 into a Capri and mated it to a T5 Cossey box, they had drilled the holes in the fly wheel for the clutch eccentrically only by a small measurement built enough to create a massive vibration, maybe I need to check the prop for straightness and balance, and then if all fails look at what is going on in the bell housing, I appreciate your inputs so please any ideas keep them coming.

Noisy axle

I had mine rebuilt off the car by Hauser and had a prop made via them. Once the car was returned to the road,it was fine for the first 100 miles and then it got noisier and noisier. In the end I took the car to Hauser for them to look at.

To their credit they spent 2 weeks going over the car and sending the prop away to be checked. The axle was absolutely fine and the prop had a U/J replaced - turns out it wasn't properly secured (by me) and it had worked itself loose, damaging the U/J.

The noise? Turned out to be the gearbox tailshaft touching the bodywork and the noise transmitting through the car. They also noticed an overlong engine bolt touching the cross member in the engine bay.

The drive home was 'worth every penny'... Geoff and the guys know their stuff...!
    Ferds.

'66 Coupe (is that a Coo-pay... or a Cooop?) V8 289 Auto

That's not an oil leak... it's just my car marking its territory..

Real Name
    Colin
    Mocgb No

vibration identified

Gents I would like to thank you all for your sound advise and experiences, the net effect is I have a TCI street fighter Gearbox on route with higher stall speed converter oils and even cooler and lines in the kit, imported curtesy of Frosts of Wellingborough at a what I believe to be a very reasonable cost.
    And to use some more of the advise given Hauser Racing is going to swap the gear box and match my Petronix distributer to the Holley fuel injection system, so hopefully I will have a nice smooth sweet running motor.
    As for the back axle 3 pints of 170 W75 axle oil seems to have taken care of most of the noise.