Anyone own an electric car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richard View Post
    So it's really only the battery that will deteriorate, the rest of the car should be more reliable tha IC with no reciprocating parts, gearboxes etc.

The solution surely is a standardised battery compartment. You could then add or subtract capacity depending on your usage. Motorway services and supermarkets could then keep stocks of charged ready to go batteries that you would just slide in as you need them on a longer journey. The stock could be kept charged with solar, wind or off peak power.

Of course at the moment there isn't any real incentive but times are changing.

Totally agree, I'd only consider buying a new EV when this option is available. Battery technology is progressing massively so I also don't think range/charging speed will be the constraint it is now.
    1969 302 Fastback

Comment

Originally posted by JAR View Post

Totally agree, I'd only consider buying a new EV when this option is available. Battery technology is progressing massively so I also don't think range/charging speed will be the constraint it is now.
      You would need battery size to decrease drastically for a driver to simply swap out. A Nissan Leaf replacement is a two man job. A Tesla has to be on a ramp and the whole undertray dropped out.

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer1959 View Post

You would need battery size to decrease drastically for a driver to simply swap out. A Nissan Leaf replacement is a two man job. A Tesla has to be on a ramp and the whole undertray dropped out.

The battery pack on a Jaguar I-Pace weighs over half a ton, 603kg to be exact.
        1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
        2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
        2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffW View Post

You’ll need a friend’s help with that then. A 427 block comes in around 320 kg.

Comment

I considered a Tesla v diesel Jag XJ
            nearly twice the price and a range of 200 “careful” motorway miles v 650 full on fast motorway miles - no brainer
            i can throw the jag away next year and still save money.

Current Mustang Red 1965 Coupe - Previous Mustangs 2008 S197, 1965 Coupe

Comment

Part of the plan by manufacturers to tie you in to them. They really don't want to make you a car that going to last 20+ years.

Remember these battery packs are not just one big cell, they are made up of many much smaller cells so could be easily made up of manageable blocks that could be loaded without too much hassle.

If used as many are just for the school run or shopping then you could use less batteries for the times when you only need 20 miles or so, If you hump around less weight then it'll go further..

Comment

Forgot to mention that the whole car weighs in excess of 2 tonnes!
                1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
                2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
                2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

Forgot to mention that the whole car weighs in excess of 2 tonnes!
                  My 1964 Jaguar MkX 4.2 weighed in at 1905kg. not much has changed then! (But at least you could drive it over 300 miles!!)
                  . Cars, photos, wine. What else is there?

Comment

Do a search for electric car battery mining or similar topics and see what comes up.
                    Chris
                    sigpic

Hurry on sundown.....See what tomorrow brings.....

Comment

Originally posted by G19 View Post
                      Just as a side fact, I read somewhere from this year all battery cars must be capable of making a noise at low speed (12mph)......to stop sneaking up on pedestrians and other road users.
                      YEP EU law I actually stepped in front of a Prius at our local parade. My fauly but I did not hear it coming.
                      For professional valeting http://goo.gl/vXP0j0
                      Metal Polishing & Wheel Refurb http://www.promopolishing.co.uk/
                      American Car sales+ Servicing & Parts http://www.boatwright.co.uk/
                      Dent Removal http://www.dentx-uk.com/

Roll on Freedom 11pm 29th March

Comment

Why buy an electric car, pointless technology is not ready, although I have an electric mountain bike which is awesome fun and can do 130 miles on a charge.

Comment

Guys, I think the OP is buying the car, his decision and has done his research around his local area.
                          2013-2016 2005 S197 V6 Coupe Black
                          2017-2018 2007 S197 GT Coupe Tungsten
                          2019-Current 2005 S197 GT Convertible Black

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                            Why buy an electric car, pointless technology is not ready, although I have an electric mountain bike which is awesome fun and can do 130 miles on a charge.
                            If you live in a city or large town and don't do any long journeys then it would make perfect sense, if you could afford it. To be honest I could get away with having an electric car but I could never justify the expense and besides I don't buy new cars and don't think I ever will.
                            I think, in general, that a hybrid car would make more sense to most people.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
                            1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
                            2005 Mustang GT 2014-
                            2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Scaf View Post
                              I considered a Tesla v diesel Jag XJ
                              nearly twice the price and a range of 200 “careful” motorway miles v 650 full on fast motorway miles - no brainer
                              i can throw the jag away next year and still save money.
                              Hahaha. So true. Very logical. Let us know when you're throwing it out!
                              2005 Mustang GT Convertible
                              1971 Triumph TR6

Comment

Working...
                              X