Dragstalgia 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragstalgia 2019

This year I've spent quite a lot of time & money on my blown methanol competition altered dragster 'Thundergod' (think Fuel Altered without the nitro). We went to the Hot Rod drags back in May but failed to make a single pass due to finding the cam bolts were loose & the dowel had fallen out during test running, fortunately there was no other damage & while it was apart I noticed two other potential issues & resolved them. We were looking forward to going to Dragstalgia and getting it down the track to it's first full pass since putting the new motor in over a year ago. However this was stressful as I had managed to break the gearbox front pump re-fitting the box and we only got it fixed the week before. On the Friday we had a test run and with a rather lairy launch including tyreshake, wheelie, swerve left, right then left again netted 8.86 @ 153mph. Not very impressive but at least it was running ok. We adjusted the suspension a bit & the next run was a better launch but a fuel fitting came loose at half track (my fault). After that we missed a round because of starting problems. Next day, next run the driver (Des Taylor) decided to leave in high to try to run it all the way through, unfortunately it got loose at 3/4 track & only ran 8.65 @ 149mph. We had one chance left to redeem the weekend at 16:45 on Sunday. Des trickled it off the line then floored it to a moderate wheelstand, pedaled it a bit then got on it again. I could see it was absolutely charging toward the top end & expecting a 7.9 or better so when 8.40 came up I was less than impressed. However the commentator then said it had gone 184mph! We were over the moon after that, only 1 other car in our class (Supercharged Outlaws) had beaten that & only by 1mph. We are looking forward to the Nostalgia Nationals in September or even the VW action day end of August to try & get our first 7. The speed shows it's capable of say 7.3 with a good launch!

Check out Dragstalgia video below, our last run is at 22 mins, left hand lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4X-6_L26ic

Interesting read - thanks for posting.
    Sounds like you've had a few trials and tribulations along the way but then that's the nature of the sport.
    All being well it's just a case of getting the set up tuned in and you should be on for some pretty impressive results for your labours.
    Do keep us updated on your next outing.
    Nice one!
    '65 289 "A" Code GT Optioned Coupe, with 4spd Toploader and Arvinode exhaust - sounds great! :D :gears

Comment

Hi that's a lovely altered and I hope you get it running well before too long and without too much expense.

I am presuming that run was on Sunday but I couldn't help noticing the rather empty bank and stand seats. I went on Saturday and it was encouragingly busy with spectators, so was that early on Sunday?

As for running a supercharged methanol car, one guy you could talk to about set up is Dave Milam of the (now retired) She Devil racing team. I followed his progress over many years getting the She Devil sorted and launching right. He, and wife Steph were at Dragstalgia this year enjoying some spectating.
      Allan

Comment

It seemed quieter on Sunday, probably because it was raining til 10 or so. The run was at 16:45. Maybe some people had gone home due to delays in the program also. Not met Dave yet (maybe in passing), we do talk to Roy Wilding, Andy Fadster & others in our class. I try to learn bits from everyone I can but there are a lot of different opinions sometimnes! Also get to talk to people I was a fan of in the 80s like Dave Gibbons (Rough Diamond) & Ian Lloyd (Gonzo) which is very cool. Des has been racing for nearly 40 years so he knows a lot of the old timers.

I'm getting there with understanding the tune, the car came with a very rich one, we were recommended a better one earlier this year but I was cautious & richened it a bit, this paid off as the plugs indicate it's about as lean as I want to go at the moment (lean is power with methanol but also risky). I only put 30 degrees of advance in it, a lot of people are recommending 35, may sneak up a bit at a time.

Looking forward to the next event now: http://www.vwaction.co.uk/vwaction/

Comment

Originally posted by mach1dunc View Post
          It seemed quieter on Sunday, probably because it was raining til 10 or so. The run was at 16:45. Maybe some people had gone home due to delays in the program also. Not met Dave yet (maybe in passing), we do talk to Roy Wilding, Andy Fadster & others in our class. I try to learn bits from everyone I can but there are a lot of different opinions sometimnes! Also get to talk to people I was a fan of in the 80s like Dave Gibbons (Rough Diamond) & Ian Lloyd (Gonzo) which is very cool. Des has been racing for nearly 40 years so he knows a lot of the old timers.

I'm getting there with understanding the tune, the car came with a very rich one, we were recommended a better one earlier this year but I was cautious & richened it a bit, this paid off as the plugs indicate it's about as lean as I want to go at the moment (lean is power with methanol but also risky). I only put 30 degrees of advance in it, a lot of people are recommending 35, may sneak up a bit at a time.

Looking forward to the next event now: http://www.vwaction.co.uk/vwaction/
          I note your point on the rich tune. Dave cooked the engine in his car a couple of times with it leaning out. It was eventually traced to fuel delivery issues so its definitely safer to keep it rich until you are really sure of things. Popping the blower and damaging seals is not good for the wallet. I'm not that up on the ignition timing but I guess again that's slow safe steps.

I've been going to Santa Pod regularly since 1974 but I am now getting more interested in the historic events so my next meeting will likely be the Hot Rod Drags.
          Allan

Comment

Working...
          X