MOT issue, what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOT issue, what would you do?

Member of the family has just bought a new car (well, 2nd hand) and when viewing I suggested the rear discs need replacing. So we bought some in anticipation and since it was a nice day I decided to fit them.
    Upon removing the pads I noticed there wasn't actually any friction material left on one pad and the others were not much better. I would go as far as saying they were the worst I have ever seen.
    The car had a full service history (for what its worth) and a new MOT that very week!
    So what do you think, send a photo to the MOT station and ask them to explain how exactly it managed to pass an MOT or just leave it and get on with my life. Silly thing is the pads and discs, from a reasonable make, only cost 65 (on offer) so why wouldn't you change them?

1966 Coupe: 1995-
    1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
    2005 Mustang GT 2014-
    2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Personally I'd get on with your life.
    Alternately check the MOT for any advisories.
    If the brakes passed the test I doubt it would warrant any comment.

From a testers guide;
    Under vehicle checks

• flexible brake pipes and any other metal brake pipes visible beneath the car are checked
    • discs and drums (external only) checked for condition and contamination
    • brake back plates and caliper securing devices are checked for condition and security
    • condition of the brake pads will be checked if visible
    • The assistant operates the handbrake and the condition of the linkages and/or cables is checked.
    • on some vehicles there will be a brake compensating valve beneath the car which will need to be inspected for fluid leaks
    Stuart
    2014 GT/CS

Comment

MOT tests the efficiency of the brakes, if they stop the wheels going round as they should it's a pass. Inspection of hoses and pipes etc. are a different item
      1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
      2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
      2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

The mot tester can only comment on what he can see, as you did not see how low they were until the wheel was off he would have been in the same situation.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, thought they had to measure pad thickness now?
          Anyway, it was possible to see they were low through the wheel, didn't realise they were that low though. I guess it reflects more on the quality of servicing its had over the past few years, which incidentally is the same place who carried out the MOT.
          Anyway I'm quite pleased as I seem to have fixed the ABS pump for 38 and a little bit of my time, so with a little luck apart from general service stuff all will be good.
          Might suggest to the previous owners (nice couple actually) they using someone else for their servicing needs.

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

Originally posted by Anaconda View Post
            Member of the family has just bought a new car (well, 2nd hand) and when viewing I suggested the rear discs need replacing. So we bought some in anticipation and since it was a nice day I decided to fit them.
            Upon removing the pads I noticed there wasn't actually any friction material left on one pad and the others were not much better. I would go as far as saying they were the worst I have ever seen.
            The car had a full service history (for what its worth) and a new MOT that very week!
            So what do you think, send a photo to the MOT station and ask them to explain how exactly it managed to pass an MOT or just leave it and get on with my life. Silly thing is the pads and discs, from a reasonable make, only cost 65 (on offer) so why wouldn't you change them?
            You think that was bad , bought a van two years ago came with a years mot no advisorys. Went to use washers , bottle was dry both nozzles blocked solid. Took it for it's mot , failed on brake pipes and bushes , funny thing was they were both advisorys the year before I got it.

Comment

If it were my car, I would immediately get it MoT'd again by a place which I had confidence in. Full Stop .

Comment

Thought you always say an MOT is not proof a car is roadworthy? When I post up that I think it is horrendous that an MOT is not needed for a classic. Now you are looking for the MOT to determine your brake pad thickness?
                Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

That's the problem with mots people rely on them for 365 days
                  07 Cali special
                  68 fastback
                  75 grannycoupev8

Comment

Originally posted by pmustang View Post
                    Thought you always say an MOT is not proof a car is roadworthy? When I post up that I think it is horrendous that an MOT is not needed for a classic. Now you are looking for the MOT to determine your brake pad thickness?
                    I'm not relying on an MOT as an indication of pad thickness BUT it is part of the MOT and besides its permanent four wheel drive so they didn't check brake performance. You might notice I mentioned that I had noticed before buying they would need replacement so I had already got the parts.
                    As you say I think an MOT means nothing and I think the point of my thread was to show this fact. It also shows a FSH also means nothing.

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

I guess it depends on who does the MOT

it is not a catch all for everything but it offers some level of confidence for buyers.

I know I would struggle to sell a car without an MOT
                      Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                      We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Originally posted by pmustang View Post
                        I guess it depends on who does the MOT

it is not a catch all for everything but it offers some level of confidence for buyers.

I know I would struggle to sell a car without an MOT
                        Its quite funny that everyone moans/dreads MOT time and now that you don't have to have one (classics) then people want one anyway.
                        As a dealer I guess it is good practise and the right thing for you to do when selling a car, wonder how many of your buyers go on to MOT the car the following year?

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

An MOT certificate means nothing, I have a 2011 mustang in the workshop at the moment for IVA work and testing. It came with a new MOT, although it has no white side lights at the front, no side repeaters, no rear fog light, no amber indicators at the rear, engine check light on , abs and traction lights on . And worse I found the front wheel bearing total worn out, with a huge a mount of play. The ABS fault was down to the total absence of the abs sensor on the off side front wheel.
                          i wonder if the “tester” actually looked at the car. If he did he may be better to ask his guild dog to do the next test.
                          07 mustang GT/CS conv
                          Vista Blue
                          Cloth roof
                          Black/dove seats
                          Cantering on propane
                          NICK

Comment

Again, it totally depends on who MOT's the car. For example

I had one done in the past year that passed after a few small jobs. I then got it back to the shop and after investigating some ugly welding we decided a full floor replacement and replacement of all metal forward of the shock towers was the only way to make it safe

Then I had another one prepping for MOT the other day and this other garage called me in view the floor pans. They were nice...just not welded to the frame extensions, nor where the boot floor drops welded to the rear frame extensions either.

We see the non welding of floor pans and boot floor drop offs so commonly now its frightening

Comment

Working...
                            X