Would you confront a stranger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you confront a stranger

So I grabbed a quick coffee this morning whilst on my way to the post office.
    Out of the corner of my eye I spot what I think is a chap taking a pic of a young ladies bottom (tight gym kit), and whilst I was contemplating what I saw, he did it again.
    I thought about it for a few seconds before confronting him in the middle of the coffee shop by asking if he would like to share the last two photos with me, which he declined to do.
    I then made a direct accusation and told him he should be disgusted with himself etc etc....... he denied it of course And things got quite heated.
    I got the coffee shop to refuse to serve him and the young lady (guessing 14 or 15 yrs old and definitely under 18yrs confronted him with her friend but he just fronted it out and left.
    I am pleased I did what I did, but realise that it could have turned nasty quite quickly, but when you act on impulse your don’t really think about it.
    What would you have done ?
    I am now thinking I should have seen it though and got the police (given her age).

Current Mustang Red 1965 Coupe - Previous Mustangs 2008 S197, 1965 Coupe

It’s only when the good do nothing that evil prospers You did the right thing well done. The shop owner has a duty of care also especially with this happening to anyone let alone a minor. This guy is obviously a dangerous pervert and if the authorities got hold of him or his devices no doubt they would have found all sorts! Was there cctv in the shop? It’s still not to late if so.

Comment

It was a cafe Niro so very possibly yes - I may pop back later

Comment

Originally posted by Scaf View Post
        It was a cafe Niro so very possibly yes - I may pop back later
        I would definitely because this guy is certainly a Pedo and god only knows who you might be saving from things I don’t want to even think about as a father

Comment

Report it mate and let them deal with it

Comment

I have reported online -

Comment

Did you get her phone number Sam?

I am of course only pulling your leg mate.... I would hate it if you had to stay home even more because of an electronic ankle tag

Herts & North London Area secretary.
              Committee Member - Events - Motorsport

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                Did you get her phone number Sam?

I am of course only pulling your leg mate.... I would hate it if you had to stay home even more because of an electronic ankle tag
                It’s funny, the Police were straight on it due to the suspected age of the girl, so police visit the coffee shop and they had taken her details.

She was not going to report it and it turns out she is 27years old so not as young as my wife and I thought.

Anyway she was grateful for my intervention and has asked them to pass on her thanks.

Police say it’s not a crime as she was an adult, but are still looking to track him down as there could be other younger victims.

They have the CCTV

Comment

Scaf , I reckon you did more than a lot of us would have done, so well done for that. It’s a bit of a grey area, and some forces will have a different approach to this sort of thing. It’s not necessarily the case that just because the female was an adult that no crime was committed. Nottinghamshire Constabulary for example have previous for recording these type of incidents as a hate crime. Their own press release stated ..
                  “Examples of this may include unwanted or uninvited sexual advances; physical or verbal assault; unwanted or uninvited physical or verbal contact or engagement; use of mobile devices to send unwanted or uninvited messages or take photographs without consent or permission

Still, you more than did your bit. Just thought I’d share some of the legal debate on the subject .

Comment

Either way I hope the guy will at least think twice about doing it again now he has been “called out”.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaf View Post

It’s funny, the Police were straight on it due to the suspected age of the girl, so police visit the coffee shop and they had taken her details.

She was not going to report it and it turns out she is 27years old so not as young as my wife and I thought.

Anyway she was grateful for my intervention and has asked them to pass on her thanks.

Police say it’s not a crime as she was an adult, but are still looking to track him down as there could be other younger victims.

They have the CCTV
                      Always worth reporting as if the offender is identified they maybe in breach of a SOPO or SHPO conditions depending when they committed their index offence. If you’re not happy with something it’s always worth reporting as it maybe part of a bigger picture.
                      2013-2016 2005 S197 V6 Coupe Black
                      2017-2018 2007 S197 GT Coupe Tungsten
                      2019-Current 2005 S197 GT Convertible Black

Comment

You would like to think that in these “Me too” days and the crime of “upskirting” finally making it onto the statute books - quite rightly in my opinion - that all law enforcement personnel would want to stop this pernicious type of activity. With people like him around, no wonder so many females have such a low opinion of men in general. Well done Scaf for redressing the balance in favour of the “good guys”.
                        . Cars, photos, wine. What else is there?

Comment

Originally posted by Musti View Post

Always worth reporting as if the offender is identified they maybe in breach of a SOPO or SHPO conditions depending when they committed their index offence. If you’re not happy with something it’s always worth reporting as it maybe part of a bigger picture.
                          And the reporting was really simple, Herts police online chat, I just tapped in my details and described what I witnessed, Officer came on line to ask some specifics, simple and job done, within a couple of hours they had been to the coffee shop, downloaded the cctv and spoke to the victim, and then back to me.

Comment

Good to hear Scaf, hopefully he’s ID’d!
                            2013-2016 2005 S197 V6 Coupe Black
                            2017-2018 2007 S197 GT Coupe Tungsten
                            2019-Current 2005 S197 GT Convertible Black

Comment

The fault lies with all of us, wanting our ''tech'' so badly.

Nobody thought of banning sales of mobile phones equipped with cameras, did they?
                              Instant gratification rules..apparently.

To be fair, I get tired of folk wanting to take photos of my Mustang when I'm out & about. i don't 'look' for it [I don't cruise, or any other banal sort of driving]....but I don't see why society should penalise me in this way, just because my Mustang happens to be an incredibly practical form of transport for my needs?

Possibility the lad was simply 'being laddish?'

Comment

Working...
                              X