The Motoring Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Motoring Future

So my role within Ford is quite an interesting one and looks into (studies) the future of motoring. I have to research internal Ford pieces but then also look through the web for external stuff that shows up what is coming at us. If you would like a sniff into the future of motoring, I'm quite happy to share here. It might become a bit one sided monologue from me, but you might like what you read and not necessarily have the need to comment, which is fine. But we are a car forum and when I last looked, I think we are quite fanatical - maybe of a certain era of motor, agreed - but it still perhaps interests all of us what is about to hit the street, I am sure.

One to start with.

And I won't meander down the Electric / Hybrid route just now because I have done it to death on another forum and it probably is a bit boring. I will just enlighten you that I had the fortune - yes it was a fortune - to drive the Mach E last week and it is quite a stunning piece of kit. No rumbling, I agree. But the performance is not shy and when it was placed up against the Jag I Pace and Tesla 3, I think the Ford holds its own.

Anyway, enough of all that tosh.

Fog lights is the topic today.

Have any of you noticed that front fog lights are being resigned to history and placed in the bin, by manufacturers / car designers ? You may have done. Perhaps the car you own doesn't have them and is new. It seems that there is this wave of new cars hitting the street and no lower fogs.

Doesn't the new Mustang MCA have no fogs now ?

Anyway, they reckon that the headlights on motors today are so good, they double up as headlights / fog lights together. I must admit to being uncertain myself as I thought the purpose of fog lights was different to headlamps - in that the light is splayed differently. Fogs tend to be wide and not so much distance. But maybe that isn't the point. Clearly the R&D teams in the motoring world don't think it is the point and perhaps the light is so good, it does not have to be short and wide. Who knows.

But if you didn't see this before, you'll now look.

They also believe the conventional headlight will change and maybe cars will do without them in the future. LiDaR (light detection and ranging) is being looked at for autonomous / semi autonomous vehicles and this works under a laser. It is meant to be clearer vision for the autonomous designs because of the feedback of obstacles it receives - therefore, steering the car around them. Although you may have seen that this hasn't worked quite so well with there being some injuries. Yes, I know, a bit of teething issues coming out. But it's early days and autonomy, like it / loathe it, probably is coming to a street near you soon. I reckon in the next 15/20 yrs, there will be autonomous vehicles. It's just a matter for the H&S, law and insurance to catch up.

But LiDaR is becoming cheaper and might become the future for person controlled vehicles as well, as said, doing away totally or partially with headlights.

Comment

We just don't get Fog like we used to thankfully. In the late 1950's, early 60's it was so bad at times that somebody had to walk in front of the car with a torch for the driver to follow. I remember doing it!
      1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
      2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
      2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

There is no future in motoring, having autonomous cars is not motoring.

Comment

Just shows the designers today have lost the plot. There are certain weather conditions (mist, very light drizzle, snow etc) where the last thing you want is super powerful headlamps bouncing their light back at you.

That's when you need the low set driving lights to illuminate just the edge of the road and centre line.

Don't get me started on the stupid key fob idea clearly designed to promote vehicle theft to boost sales.

Comment

I started driving in 1967 and the fog / smog then, as Geoff says, was more frequent and far worse than anything we've seen in recent years.

Re the Headlamp Foglamp issue.

The general development of LED lighting was going on for years before most became aware of it.

I'm certain as we speak the car lighting manufactureres will have been working on multi output LED headlamps, or front lighting solutions, for years.
            Maybe narrower or split beams or variable light levels etc.
            Stuart
            2014 GT/CS

Comment

Originally posted by richard View Post
              Just shows the designers today have lost the plot. There are certain weather conditions (mist, very light drizzle, snow etc) where the last thing you want is super powerful headlamps bouncing their light back at you.

That's when you need the low set driving lights to illuminate just the edge of the road and centre line.

Don't get me started on the stupid key fob idea clearly designed to promote vehicle theft to boost sales.
              Completely agree with all of this . Those of us who have been driving long enough, know instinctively that a lot of these “improvements“ in cars simply result in poorer driving standards. Giving stronger headlights doesn’t inherently make driving “ safer”, it just boosts the drivers confidence to drive faster where perhaps they wouldn’t on “ordinary strength” lights. Some of them are already far too bright for road users facing them at night, or as Richard states, any time there is excess moisture in the air.
              The “safer” modern designers make cars, the more risks are being taken by certain drivers. Also, the more expensive they are to buy/ repair,the easier to “write off” otherwise useable cars, etc. I’m not sure the “benefits” outweigh the downsides but that’s just my opinion. It makes money for business!!

With proper classic motoring, no electronic “enablers” to break down, pretty easy to fix the majority of mechanical issues, change lightbulbs in a couple of minutes, not “written off” just because the bumper is a bit bent!
              Don’t get me wrong, there are some beautiful cars out there these days....but there is just so much that either makes you lazy or overconfident and “toys” that bite you when they go wrong.
              Last edited by mick the hat; 23-10-2020, 11:29 AM.
              . Cars, photos, wine. What else is there?

Comment

LED car lights should either be banned or warrantied fo ten years. This week we had a customer's car fail for a poition lamp {mini although as big as a maxi) instead of 50p for a bulb it was 200 for an led.

Comment

Originally posted by Anaconda View Post
                  There is no future in motoring, having autonomous cars is not motoring.
                  Right then - that's it!! The final words - no future.

Fear not - autonomous driving is decades away. We won't see autonomous vehicle in a generation. Fortunately, my autonomy will probably involve a Zimmerframe before self driving vehicles.

I know I said above 15/20 yrs. There might be more significant trials by then. But frankly, when you think about it all more deeply, we are a world away. There are a minefield of issues. It can't happen just like that.

Placing H&S aside and the injuries / fatalities that result, just vehicle speed is providing a hazard to these things. How would the vehicle accurately know the speed ?

Speed signs ? No chance! Don't exist in many places.

GPS positioning and then reading the speed by matching your location to known source that gathers speed info ? Possibly.

What happens when the speed changes and Jim forgets to update the positional change ? The autonomous vehicle continues along at the same speed as before, completely disregarding the new slower speed. If there was an accident or plod checking the speed, who is at fault ?

We are so far behind this technology and there are at least 30 years of faff before anything resembles an autonomous vehicle is let loose amongst the public.

We can't even have a decent security system in motors today to stop tea leaves stealing them.

Comment

LED car lights should either be banned or warrantied fo ten years. This week we had a customer's car fail for a poition lamp {mini although as big as a maxi) instead of 50p for a bulb it was 200 for an led.
                    Thanks for posting this. I feel validated..... at least about the lights. There’s an old saying, “Be careful what you wish for”. The 50p bulb would still work as a position lamp. Utter madness!

Comment

Originally posted by Daz-RSK View Post

Right then - that's it!! The final words - no future.

Fear not - autonomous driving is decades away. We won't see autonomous vehicle in a generation. Fortunately, my autonomy will probably involve a Zimmerframe before self driving vehicles.

I know I said above 15/20 yrs. There might be more significant trials by then. But frankly, when you think about it all more deeply, we are a world away. There are a minefield of issues. It can't happen just like that.

Placing H&S aside and the injuries / fatalities that result, just vehicle speed is providing a hazard to these things. How would the vehicle accurately know the speed ?

Speed signs ? No chance! Don't exist in many places.

GPS positioning and then reading the speed by matching your location to known source that gathers speed info ? Possibly.

What happens when the speed changes and Jim forgets to update the positional change ? The autonomous vehicle continues along at the same speed as before, completely disregarding the new slower speed. If there was an accident or plod checking the speed, who is at fault ?

We are so far behind this technology and there are at least 30 years of faff before anything resembles an autonomous vehicle is let loose amongst the public.

We can't even have a decent security system in motors today to stop tea leaves stealing them.
                      The ability for cars to recognise speed limits and speed signs already exists along with the ability for the car to automatically drive to the limits. Of course it doesn't work properly, in some cases picking up limits on side roads, not the road you drive on. Same as auto braking, with reports of braking by itself when overtaking another car.
                      I don't agree with all this unnecessary tech we all have to have on modern cars and exactly why I have no intention of buying one. The repair cost on modern cars is astronomical.
                      I admit a reverse camera is quite useful, most of everything else is just tech for the sake of it to try and out do the next manufacturer, oh and the latest EU dictat.

Comment

Originally posted by mick the hat View Post

Thanks for posting this. I feel validated..... at least about the lights. There’s an old saying, “Be careful what you wish for”. The 50p bulb would still work as a position lamp. Utter madness!
                        We have contemplated just inserting an old fashioned bulb but that is incredibly risky with these modern canbus systems, you risk damaging some fancy control box and then it's more hundreds of pounds down to you.

The plain simple fact is the manufacturers seem to be designing in ever shorter planned obsolescence times. They want you to sign up to lease a new car for a fortune and then scare you into another one as the warranty runs out. It's working too so in a way I take my hat of to them!

Comment

So, to sum it all up in a short phrase, the majority of car manufacturers are more interested in economic growth than ecological reduction? So much for carbon footprint. It’s not just the mpg that improves the green credentials of motoring, it’s the whole life cost per mile that is the true measure. I personally think that a ‘65 289 mustang that is still roadworthy and largely original has a far smaller carbon footprint than the vast majority of modern cars, despite their much vaunted fuel economies. “The Emperors New Clothes” comes to mind!

Comment

Unfortunately, Mick, I think that is a self perpetuating circle that you have landed on.

I am not saying that holding onto a 55 yr old is not better for the environment than the ever churning cycle of new cars. New car production has a massive footprint.

But you have to go back through a lot more time before you get right down the green credentials. A 65 Mustang probably replaced a car someone else driving at the time and those with inter war period motors probably were cursing new Mustang production then as not very green - if such a concept existed. Perhaps it didn't.

What I am saying is that the greenest way forward is to buy a car at 16/17 and drive it to your grave, not its grave. That would be the cleanest way for sure. More people would look after their motor and make sure that it is able to withstand time. Car production would lower because demand would be lower. That is a good thing.

We sell about 2.5mil new vehicles in the UK, give or take, per year. There are about 40/45 million drivers. So in 15/20 years we sell more vehicles than population that can drive. That's the issue.

Comment

We have contemplated just inserting an old fashioned bulb but that is incredibly risky with these modern canbus systems, you risk damaging some fancy control box and then it's more hundreds of pounds down to you.

The plain simple fact is the manufacturers seem to be designing in ever shorter planned obsolescence times. They want you to sign up to lease a new car for a fortune and then scare you into another one as the warranty runs out. It's working too so in a way I take my hat of to them!
                              Exactly this. Can you imagine the risk of owning a Range Rover after the pathetic 3 year warranty has run out! They are always at the bottom of any reliability chart.
                              5 year complete fully comprehensive warranty should be min on any car.
                              New Defender engine is obsolete in less than a year.

Comment

Working...
                              X