• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mick the hat View Post
    Just like using a mobile phone without a kit,
    Like driving with fog lights when there's no fog,
    Like sticking to the motorway middle lane,
    Like tailgating others and becoming a road hog.

All of these have become commonplace
    Because there's not enough plods to keep up the chase.
    Decent drivers have to settle for second place
    Without enforcement, we've lost the race!
    Raging against the lack of enforcement is one thing...but how many complain bitterly when they are caught exceeding the speed limit, by camera? That is deemed to somehow be 'cheating'.....and shouldn't-be-allowed [said with the best Dandy Nichols accent?]

Then we have the application of 'myway code'??....99% of the time, completely at odds with the Highway Code.

Too many of the driving decisions I see made by others on the roads,are driven by ego. Because of that, they get upset when brought to task. Challenging someone's driving standards can be ranked alongside criticising their performance in bed! Folk don't think they need to 'learn' any more.
    Everybody now knows 'better'.
    Everyone has suddenly become 'an expert'....and not just about driving, either......The general criticism of the recent LGV movement exercises near Ramsgate [or Kent, somewhere?]..being a case in point...the loudest voices clearly not having a clue what the exercises were actually about!!
    So what chance do we have of changing BMW headlamp systems?

Comment

Not raging against lack of enforcement per se Alastair, just agreeing that it would be a part of the solution. I agree with everything you've said in your post. Like you, my main bugbear is the fact that too many drivers think the rules don't apply to them and they can do what they want where they want, regardless of the impact on other road users.

As for speed cameras, if you cant do the time, don't do the crime, simple. It's not like they're hidden! I doubt any reasonable law abiding driver would disagree.

On the original point, I still think that a proper study of the impact on oncoming traffic of overly bright or misaligned headlights is in order. It's a road safety issue, just as important as tackling drink, drugs and mobile phone use. Imagine any one of those offenders being temporarily blinded by these lights! Do I need to paint the picture of how dangerous this could be, especially as those drivers abilities are already reduced/ impaired by their own selfish actions? It won't be just them that pays the price. I'm staggered that RoSPA and the RAC haven't entered the debate. They're usually the first ones to shout about what they think is dangerous on our roads. Or maybe they think that blinding other road users with "legal" lights is a price worth paying so that those drivers can see a few yards further? Utter madness in my opinion.
      Last edited by mick the hat; 09-01-2019, 03:30 PM.
      . Cars, photos, wine. What else is there?

Comment

So maybe the government need perhaps to study properly what the maximum safe level illumination is, it can't possibly be left to the guy with the most powerful lights wins, that surely won't end well. You can't say that the adjustment cut off is the answer- we only test stationary on level ground taking no account of vehicle attitude in motion due to road dips etc etc.

Maybe we should re adopt the French yellow headlight idea?

And yes I'm really surprised ROSPA, RAC, AA et al are not all over this.

Comment

At the risk of getting too technical here things like night time cockpit light in aircraft tends to be a green light to allow the pilot to keep his/her night vision. Overall our night vision is best preserved with light at the lower end of the spectrum in the yellow/green area. The hot end of the spectrum (blue) impairs our night vision which is exactly where the hot bulbs in these modern cars operate. Some even seem to emit a blue hue. As everyone has said its an obvious problem not been addressed by anyone concerned with road safety. I expect it will take a nasty high profile accident put down to headlights to kick this off.
          Allan

Comment

Might be time to seriously pester the appropriate people in the AA, RAC, RoSPA, and even annoy folk at the DVSA?

These folk do listen to reasonable, reasoned argument from the public.

Even the Highway Code folk make mistakes ( like the road marking allocated a definition..... Until someone discovered it wasn't defined within road traffic regulations......oooops! Now withdrawn!)

Problem will come when trying to apply changes retrospectively....... Hasn't happened since they made screen washers mandatory figment, if a vehicle had wipers. As far as I recall?? (Almost pre-Mustang, too!)

Comment

Modern headlights are horrendous, Hate them as does my wife

I do find it worse when I am wearing glasses with some scratches on them, Normal wear and tear marks on the lenses. These cause starburst type patterns which are even worse.

Peter
              Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
              We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Originally posted by pmustang View Post
                Modern headlights are horrendous, Hate them as does my wife

I do find it worse when I am wearing glasses with some scratches on them, Normal wear and tear marks on the lenses. These cause starburst type patterns which are even worse.

Peter
                Do you see stripes in daylight then?

Comment

Originally posted by ALLAN R View Post
                  I expect it will take a nasty high profile accident put down to headlights to kick this off.
                  I share your fear. I'm staggered it hasn't happened yet. Too many times I've had to try to shield my vision from oncoming sunbeams without impeding my forward view, or slow down so that my eyes can readjust after passing this transient "solar event". Let's all try to start something. "A journey of a thousand miles...."?

Comment

Years ago when we had proper parabolic reflector headlights, like the sealed beam units, I think we had much tighter beams out of the headlights. These modern fancy styled things scatter light everywhere as they are all shapes. There maybe a beam out of them but there is much more light scattered off the beam axis.

If these modern lights get any brighter I feel we will have to start wearing sun tan lotion at night!!
                    Allan

Comment

Start the rumour about these lights giving off harmful radiation.... :)
                      [IE, prolonged exposure leads to fake tans going orange??]

I used to tell my 'customers' to be careful of the air conditioning.....with warnings about legionnaires disease..... :)

Comment

Originally posted by ALLAN R View Post
                        Years ago when we had proper parabolic reflector headlights, like the sealed beam units, I think we had much tighter beams out of the headlights. These modern fancy styled things scatter light everywhere as they are all shapes. There maybe a beam out of them but there is much more light scattered off the beam axis.

If these modern lights get any brighter I feel we will have to start wearing sun tan lotion at night!!
                        Based purely on my own personal experience I really canít agree with this. My current (Volvo V40) and previous (Audi A3) daily both have the latest state of the art technology LED headlights for both high and dipped beam. The light emitted is pure white, crisp and clean with the most sharply focused beam pattern I have ever experienced. They light the road ahead really efficiently and I never get flashed by oncoming drivers unless Iíve been a little slow in dipping from high beam. The most important factor is that I can see where Iím going, even when faced with oncoming bright lights. Surely this is a good thing? I certainly believe it is and I think as long as they are adjusted correctly they improve road safety, not the opposite which is being suggested here.

Is it possible that the real problem is we are all getting older and our aging eyes (and I include myself in this) simply canít adjust as well or as quickly as they used to?

Comment

Originally posted by CaliSpecial View Post
                          Based purely on my own personal experience I really can’t agree with this. My current (Volvo V40) and previous (Audi A3) daily both have the latest state of the art technology LED headlights for both high and dipped beam. The light emitted is pure white, crisp and clean with the most sharply focused beam pattern I have ever experienced. They light the road ahead really efficiently and I never get flashed by oncoming drivers unless I’ve been a little slow in dipping from high beam. The most important factor is that I can see where I’m going, even when faced with oncoming bright lights. Surely this is a good thing? I certainly believe it is and I think as long as they are adjusted correctly they improve road safety, not the opposite which is being suggested here.

Is it possible that the real problem is we are all getting older and our aging eyes (and I include myself in this) simply can’t adjust as well or as quickly as they used to?
                          Totally agree with you Andy the lights on my 2017 Mazda cx5 are far safer than the ones on my old 2003 sn95.
                          Last edited by paul9872; 12-01-2019, 03:34 PM.
                          sigpic

True Blue 2003 GT V6+2 Daily Driver Now sold.
                          Paul:gears

Comment

all of which says the comments are purely from teh driver's point of view...the one behind the bright lights.

There has been no regard for the other road users who are having to try to see beyond those brilliant lights.

Comment

Originally posted by alastairq View Post
                              all of which says the comments are purely from teh driver's point of view...the one behind the bright lights.

There has been no regard for the other road users who are having to try to see beyond those brilliant lights.

Absolutely this is the problem, people are driving their latest piece of technocrap the lights of which have turned night into day for them but in the process are temporarily blinding the drivers using normal lights whose eyes have to recover because they have become used to their lesser amount of light that is still perfectly adequate for normal night driving at normal speeds. It's not the Le mans 24hr night stage.

Has anyone tried those yellow glasses for night driving and if they helped what brand were they?

Comment

Originally posted by alastairq View Post

Err... no! I still have to face oncoming lights with my 57 year old eyes. Yes they are bright but blinding... really? Iíd go as far as uncomfortable but I drive in excess of 40k miles a year and Iíve yet to be blinded!

Comment

Working...
                                X