Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to mount a fire extinguisher behind the shifter (1965 Coupe)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to mount a fire extinguisher behind the shifter (1965 Coupe)

Hello,

Does anyone have any advice on installing and which bracket to go for?

Looking to install behind the shifter.

If anyone has done this, a few photos would be appreciated.

You will want some kind of band brackets to go around the extinguisher and have means to bolt through the trans tunnel and quick release or spring type fixings. The exact bracket will depend on what extinguisher you have.

All I can say about these extinguishers is that they don't last long. I had a fire in my old Cortina and two puffs from the extinguisher and it was empty. Fortunately a buss stopped and it had a big enough extinguisher to put the fire out. I would fit a cheap battery isolating switch so if you get an electrical fire you can instantly isolate the battery. I have one mounted on the battery terminal that I can get to very quickly.
    Allan

Comment

In front of passenger seat is easier
      Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
      We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

It is more for decoration rather than practicality or performance of the extinguisher.

I think it would just break up the interior as I do not have a centre console.

Comment

Have you not thought about making a centre console? I agree that the stock interior without a centre console or aircon does look a bit sparse. The stock console is not that useful anyway but a guy up the road from me has mocked up a really nice centre console from plywood covered in vinyl and it looks way better than any stock job. It has folding cup holders, extra gauges and storage space. He made it from cardboard first then used the patterns to cut the ply.
          Allan

Comment

I had one given to me on Fathers Day - comes in a bag which sticks to the carpet with Velcro hooks.
            Editor Round Up
            Photo Albums on Flickr
            2011 ROUSH Stage 2 Mustang
            1964.5 Vintage Burgundy 164hp 260ci V8 Convertible

Comment

I have orignal consoles :-) Four speed, 65-66 ones in black.

I like an interior to look fairly orignal, no newer consoles or single DIN radios, an extinguisher on the centre hump would hurt that look in my opinion, just one guys opinion.

Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
              We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Originally posted by ALLAN R View Post
                I would fit a cheap battery isolating switch so if you get an electrical fire you can instantly isolate the battery. I have one mounted on the battery terminal that I can get to very quickly.
                This makes not a blind bit of difference. One of my cars recently (68 Fastback) had a fire when trying to start for the first time in years. All the loom checked out fine and when cranking the back of the ignition switch went on fire. I was at the battery, my mate cranking. I pulled the battery lead off immediately at the first hint of fire, did it stop it? Not a hope in hell. Two quick bursts of a dry powder extinguisher did though.

Cheers, Ron

www.stsimports.co.uk
                www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by ronfenton View Post

This makes not a blind bit of difference. One of my cars recently (68 Fastback) had a fire when trying to start for the first time in years. All the loom checked out fine and when cranking the back of the ignition switch went on fire. I was at the battery, my mate cranking. I pulled the battery lead off immediately at the first hint of fire, did it stop it? Not a hope in hell. Two quick bursts of a dry powder extinguisher did though.

Cheers, Ron
                  The exception that proves the rule. Nine times out of ten isolating the current will stop the fire and just leave the smell of melting old plastic but I guess if the wires are that far gone then they could be like a tinderbox
                  Allan

Comment

Originally posted by ALLAN R View Post

The exception that proves the rule. Nine times out of ten isolating the current will stop the fire and just leave the smell of melting old plastic but I guess if the wires are that far gone then they could be like a tinderbox
                    No Allan it is not the exception that proves the rule. Isolating current in an existing fire will not quench the flames, not ever! Once on fire the current is neither the supply nor the fuel so the only way out is to extinguish.
                    www.stsimports.co.uk
                    www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X