Sound proofing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound proofing

Just thinking about sound proofing, I have brought a couple of small sheets of Dyhamat to look at, a bit surprised how thin it looks, I know its probably the best but any cheaper alternatives?

There are lots of alternatives that are cheaper, some significantly cheaper. This said every US car restoration programme I've seen have been using Dynamat. I used it on my 65 and it made a big difference and went on well, really sticking to the metal. I just thought that if I am going to the effort of pulling the interior and carpet out then I would hate to have put something in that was cheap and been unhappy with the results.
    Allan

Comment

I used a product called "Noico" sound deadening mat. Much cheaper than Dynamat and for all intensive purposes, just as good IMO. I purchased 18 sq/ft of it and did the interior of my 88 Mustang that I'm currently restoring. It will not cover every last square inch but I used it on all of the boomiest panels and it made a significant difference. I went around knocking on the panels and if they resonated, I slapped on what I thought was an appropriate amount. You could buy more and really go to town on a car, but I just wanted a decent improvement without adding too much weight.

Years ago I bought some really cheap sound deadener when I was doing a car stereo install. Stuff was indeed cheap but smelled like asphalt. Noico is a butyl composition and had no odor that I could detect.
      Last edited by MeZapU; 14-03-2019, 10:41 PM.
      Black 1985 GT, 408w, high 10's
      Red 1988 Coupe, 5.0, Survivor car
      Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1
      Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
      White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Comment

Used Dynamat many times. Put it on with a wall paper seam roller.. you dont have to coat every inch, one sheet per panel as it is a sound deaden er
        Plenty on Ebay for sale
        S550GT Grabber Blue 2018 Auto...:D
        1950 Shoebox Custom Hot Rod
        1967 Camaro SS 350
        1967 Mustang Fastback 302
        2005 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

How did you guys go about door panels? If you did them, did you fit it to the inside of the label out the way the window and regulator? Also did you do the boot and top of the fuel tank?
          sigpic

Comment

I put some strips in the doors. Its a fiddle but it can be done. This stops any drumming from the door panels. I also covered the boot floor but not the petrol tank. I focused on the panels over the rear axle. Also stuff some rock wool insulation in the back of the rear seatback as this helps kill noise from the boot space.
            Allan

Comment

Working...
            X