Perfect socket set ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfect socket set ?

At the risk of sound like a complete numskull, can anybody recommend the perfect socket set for general maintenance of 1967 Fastback ? The trouble with the internet is there is way way too much to wade through ! But it seems harder than it should be to find a comprehensive good quality imperial / SAE kit...

cheers

Simon

Hi Simon
    Well been a Snap On tools addict for many years..but with increasing products of theirs now made in China and Taiwan i have bought a few
    Halfrauds sockets and others from the Advanced range...and i must say i am quite impressed..

There are always a few deals on it seems too..like buy two get one free.. unfortunately the 67 FB is virtually all imperial, so not so much choice there
    Latest purchase was a complete 1/4" set....and i love it..first point of call in the big tool box these days.. took the ratchet apart and applied a little grease
    now smooth as silk..!
    S550GT Grabber Blue 2018 Auto...:D
    1950 Shoebox Custom Hot Rod
    1967 Camaro SS 350
    1967 Mustang Fastback 302
    2005 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

I have various sockets, and sets
      Mac, bahco etc

I always go back to my old faithful halfords advanced, has more than you need

Couple of bits broke, took them back and replaced free of charge under lifetime guarantee
      Previous rides
      2005 mustang GT cervini bodykit
      2007 dodge ram srt10
      2009 bumblebee camaro

Current ride
      2008 shelby gt 500....650bhp

Comment

Same, Halfords advanced set for me.
        sigpic

Comment

Picked up one of the Halfords Advance sets cheap in black friday last year. So far I've only broken 1 piece (a philips head socket) but they replaced it with no quibble what so ever. The set it self has come in really handy and the tools do feel of decent quality. I think the bit I broke may have just been a bit weak....unless I am stronger than I think!
          sigpic

Comment

Have to agree with Snap on Pete, they just feel perfect in your hand, spannerís, sockets, screwdrivers all fit what they need to fit perfectly, but they are expensive.

If you are just doing run of the mill maintenance then the Halfords kit is great, if however you are going to get more involved, the Snap On or similar professional quality, I think is the way to go.

Donít forget do you want single hex or double hex sockets? I prefer single hex, impact sockets are different to hand sockets as well.

As always to much choice, and it comes down to money in the end, what ever you choose, just go careful and it should last you ages, remember a screwdriver is not a chisel or lever, and pliers are not hammers, unless they need to be

Comment

I used the Halfords Advanced 170 piece on a major project on one of my cars recently to do a rear sub frame swap/suspension component fitting and it took everything thrown at it. Even the 1/4 drive ratchet withstood removing 11mm bolts torqued to 40 lb/ft. Halfords usually have regular sales on their advanced tool sets so just wait till one comes around and you'll pick up a large set for a little over £100, about what you could spend on one snap on ratchet. Snap on is for professionals who use their kits daily, Halfords Advanced sets are perfect for everyone else.

Comment

Snap On every time - I've had my spanners, screwdrivers, sockets,ratchets and files since the late '80s
                and they've never failed me yet. Saying that, being metric, they are pretty hit-and-miss with use
                on the Mustang! Oh well, gives me an excuse to ask the local Snap On man for a look around his
                van!
                New Stuff is NO Good!

1967 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

I've been messing with Mustangs for 35 years. When you find the perfect set please let me know

Deep socket for the seat attatchment bolts
                  Standard size with entensions for exterior nuts and bolts
                  Small set for interior bolts
                  I find the nut driver sets are nice as well for finer work

I have to agree. I bought three snap on ratchets a few years ago and there is a difference. Lovely to use. Micro click and feel great in your hand
                  Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                  We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

I use Cornwell but lately (as the tool monster eats them) the halfords professional are really good value
                    Classic pre 75 Ford and Chevy addict who Works in Software industry & also part owner of a small LTD Shop that imports Cool / custom pre 1970 American Cars / Trucks https://www.horsepwrkustoms.com

Comment

My Halfords Professional set bought about 20 years ago is my 'go to' set for 90% of jobs having both Metric and Imperial, long and short sockets.

This is complemented with Clarke tool chest which includes a socket set (rarely use these, the quality is not the same as Halfords set, tend to use it when I need two sockets the same size). Then I have a selection of individually purchased torque wrenches and sockets etc mostly Draper.

'99 Bright Atlantic Blue Convertible (Stock) & '67 Acapulco Blue Fastback (393 Stroker)
                      http://www.67mustang.co.uk

Comment

I should have mentioned Blue Point too - Snap On's "budget" range. A little less
                        shiny but every bit as good.
                        New Stuff is NO Good!

1967 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

I thought the perfect socket set was one wheeled by a mechanic while I sit in a warm and dry pub sipping beer!!
                          Allan

Comment

Originally posted by ALLAN R View Post
                            I thought the perfect socket set was one wheeled by a mechanic while I sit in a warm and dry pub sipping beer!!
                            True, only issue with that is once they're done they end up demanding some of your beer money! Talk about unreasonable!
                            sigpic

Comment

ha ha ... yes, those mechanics can be very very expensive ! I'm keen to work on the car myself - but part from a Landrover Defender 130 that I have parked up in Africa I've never owned a car before ... and all my tools are in the Defender and in any case they're all metric...

DSC_7988 by simon greenleaf, on Flickr

Thanks for all the recommendations above... I guess I'll pop off to Halfords at the weekend,

cheers

Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X