Why not a hatch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not a hatch?

I was cleaning the inside of the rear screen yesterday which is one of my least favourite jobs on the car due to how awkward it is - and was wondering if anyone else had considered why the s550 wasn't made as a hatchback as the design of the car lends itself so well and wouldn't of changed the lines at all? I suppose its to stick to the traditional layout/design of mustangs but it would no doubt have made big difference to the load area...maybe some chassis stiffness would be lost dropping the parcel shelf but they normally brace the struts to counter this.

For anyone who remembers the mk4 supra it had a vaguely similar fastback design and had the hatch, in fact lots of fastback coupes over the years have gone with a hatch rather than the saloon style boot/trunk to maximise the space and access.

Do people generally think it would of been sacrilege if they put it out with a hatch when they released it when it was already a big departure from what had come before?

Mustang has had a hatch before.
    I doubt there would be enough demand for one now give the extra costs of design. testing and production.

Stuart
    2014 GT/CS
    88 LX 5.0 Coupe, sold.

Comment

I didn't know that, thanks for the info. I just assumed they stuck to the trunk setup as per the original mustang design, I forgot about some of the darker days in mustang design here and there.

Comment

The hatch compromises rigidity.
        Given how much the Ford Mustang has been influenced by trying to compete with sporty German cars, getting the handling right was important.
        I had a 4th gen Camaro which had both a hatch and a T-top and adding braces made an enormous difference to its handling.

Comment

Absolutely this, and the extra weight to try to make up for it. The difference between the early and late capris is very noticeable.

Comment

I for one glad they didn't make it a Hatch not sure it would have kept the lines it has now obviously my own preference if your having probs cleaning it try this lol

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GHT1X62/

Comment

Are we still allowed to push small children in there, like they used to with Chimneys??
              Stuart
              2014 GT/CS
              88 LX 5.0 Coupe, sold.

Comment

The cleaning it is difficult but of course it is what it is. It just occurred to me that there are hatches now where the frame and shut is concealed under the glass and is essentially frameless, therefore its a design feature that could of gone in and barely changed the look if at all.

I was more interested to see if anyone else though the same. It doesn't change what I think of the car, just a thought

Comment

Same problem, cut a big hole in something and you have too beef up the aperture (weight plus cost), modern bonded glass is a structural element of a monocoque.

Comment

Working...
                  X