Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise detecting cameras

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48564995

Could this be the end of obnoxiously loud exhausts?

'99 Bright Atlantic Blue Convertible (Stock) & '67 Acapulco Blue Fastback (393 Stroker)
    http://www.67mustang.co.uk

If that's going to be automatic ticketing and require no follow up visit to the vehicle then that's going to have to be some Military grade technology or better that can pick out 1 specific sound and identify it to a vehicle with zero error required for legal enforcement.
    Stuart
    2014 GT/CS

Comment

In a village near me, cameras have been set up at both ends that display "your" speed, interspersed with either a smiley or an angry face, depending on whether you are above or below the limit (30mph). As a matter of course, I always use my cruise control to ensure that I don't exceed the limits where set.
      However, there have been many occasions when I have been presented with an angry face and an indication if excessive speed which has been triggered by oncoming traffic who are clearly speeding. When I brought this to the attention of the relevant authorities, I was tersely informed that "it wasn't possible, the camera only reacts to oncoming traffic".
      Why should we trust accoustic detectors when they can't even be honest about speed cameras. Thankfully, I am not the only person who has noted the issue with these particular cameras.
      Respect and adherence comes from trust. I'm a long way from trusting those who are prepared to dismiss the truth so blindly.
      Last edited by mick the hat; 08-06-2019, 01:08 PM.
      . Cars, photos, wine. What else is there?

Comment

Originally posted by mad4v8 View Post
        If that's going to be automatic ticketing and require no follow up visit to the vehicle then that's going to have to be some Military grade technology or better that can pick out 1 specific sound and identify it to a vehicle with zero error required for legal enforcement.

Does make wonder if someone there with an air horn will be able to activate it when some random is driving past.
        Current Mustang Red 1965 Coupe - Previous Mustangs 2008 S197, 1965 Coupe

Comment

I presume those who are moaning are the same people who buy a house next to a race track or airport and then moan about the noise!
          My neighbour moaned at me for going to the Supercar Event at 5.45am the other weekend. I advised him to educate himself on where I went and why. I have offerred to take him for a drive but he doesnt like Mustangs, think he prefers his y reg Civic!

1966 Coupe: 1995-
          1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
          2005 Mustang GT 2014-
          2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Anaconda View Post
            I presume those who are moaning are the same people who buy a house next to a race track or airport and then moan about the noise!
            My neighbour moaned at me for going to the Supercar Event at 5.45am the other weekend. I advised him to educate himself on where I went and why. I have offerred to take him for a drive but he doesnt like Mustangs, think he prefers his y reg Civic!
            No its people who build a house next to a shooting ground that has been running since the 1960's then manage to get the ground shut down!!!
            Allan

Comment

All just part of the current 'trend' of implementing any anti-car measures possible, especially if they raise revenue for relevant authorities.
              IIRC, there was a 'crackdown' on noisy motorcycles years ago and the response then was 'noisy exhausts save lives'. Didn't work of course but why would common sense prevail.
              But then I always had an issue about speed cameras (not 'safety' cameras) which identify by reg. plate, not driver. If registered keeper did not fess up, have to nominate a driver to carry the can. I'm sure we all know someone who has had a partner or other take the hit, maybe due to imminent licence loss from 'totting up' points. Come to that, we all know a politician who's done it.......
              My point is that they just want someone to get caught, not the real guilty party. Hmmmm.......
              Cheers, Martin
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ALLAN R View Post

No its people who build a house next to a shooting ground that has been running since the 1960's then manage to get the ground shut down!!!
                Same principle, just a different noise. The problem is that any activity which could be classed as fun (in a none PC way) is to frowned upon and therefore not to be tolerated, 1 complaint is often enough to get an activity banned.

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

Originally posted by sportsroof View Post
                  All just part of the current 'trend' of implementing any anti-car measures possible, especially if they raise revenue for relevant authorities.
                  IIRC, there was a 'crackdown' on noisy motorcycles years ago and the response then was 'noisy exhausts save lives'. Didn't work of course but why would common sense prevail.
                  But then I always had an issue about speed cameras (not 'safety' cameras) which identify by reg. plate, not driver. If registered keeper did not fess up, have to nominate a driver to carry the can. I'm sure we all know someone who has had a partner or other take the hit, maybe due to imminent licence loss from 'totting up' points. Come to that, we all know a politician who's done it.......
                  My point is that they just want someone to get caught, not the real guilty party. Hmmmm.......
                  Cheers, Martin
                  I do wonder that when the " safety" speed limiter is fitted to all new cars they will have to find a new way of fining people, maybe noise is going to be the way forward.
                  The main complaint is actually directed at motorbikes, one of my neighbours is Valentino Rossi and he likes nothing more than to wake me up on a weekend and tear it up with his mates on the South Downs. That doesn't bother me as he gave me some advice on buying a crash helmet.
                  My pet hate is Romanian folk music (another one of my neighbours is Vlad The Impaler) on a sunny afternoon, I didn't moan or send him a fine, I just put Metallica on full volume and opened the patio door. Vlad never plays his music again!

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

Yet the flip side of noisy vehicles is....
                    Making almost silent vehicles noisy to prevent accidents!
                    https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...ians-from-july
                    sigpic
                    objects in the mirror are...LOSING!

I miss the 80's but you don't see me snorting coke of a DeLorean do you!

Comment

Few villages have put up Fake Gatso's You know its fake but it does make you think. Motorbikes up the rd to us fly through the lanes with ultra loud exhausts. BUT almost every other month there is the
                      bunch of flowers & number plate with RIP Rob or whomever on it. I love me bikes & certain cars, but owners become selfish IMO & show no respect at times when going through areas. Not a NIMBY
                      but maybe spare a thought for others?
                      For professional valeting http://goo.gl/vXP0j0
                      Metal Polishing & Wheel Refurb http://www.promopolishing.co.uk/
                      American Car sales+ Servicing & Parts http://www.boatwright.co.uk/
                      Dent Removal http://www.dentx-uk.com/

Roll on Freedom 11pm 29th March

Comment

Originally posted by steve.c View Post
                        Yet the flip side of noisy vehicles is....
                        Making almost silent vehicles noisy to prevent accidents!
                        https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...ians-from-july
                        About time.
                        I've had a few near misses in carparks when Priuses pull out of a parking spot without looking.
                        To be fair to the Prius it's more the driver than the car.
                        Stuart
                        2014 GT/CS

Comment

Metallica on full volume....... is there any other way?

Comment

At the end of last year, a tiny piece of common sense appeared very quietly in the planning laws....

https://www.citymetric.com/business/...-now-what-4301

Who knows whether it will make a difference or not?

For our 40th birthdays (not a recent story!) a couple of friends and I booked a 'Lotus Experience' at Castle Combe, which involved a day with instructors driving Imprezas, Focuses, Racing School FFords and Elises. We stayed, with our families, at the Combe Manor Hotel in the village. They were very welcoming and a really nice hotel, but it became apparent that the new owners were leading a drive to get the circuit shut down due to noise. In the course of our 3-night stay we managed to make the point that we wouldn't have been spending money with them if it weren't for the trackday, none of which could be heard anyway. The real killer was some rich idiot arriving at the hotel by helicopter, at 6am on Sunday morning, who was welcomed with open arms...

Anyway, as you say this will be really difficult to police. And there's no noise limit for cars registered as historics. If there wasn't noise legislation when they were built, they can't apply one now, although I guess if it's unsilenced you might be on sticky ground.

Comment

At the end of the day the idea isn't to make nimbys lives better/quitter/safer the only reason behind it is to make money through fines, that is it plain and simple!
                              I would really like to think that being in the mess this country is in the government has got better things to waste (I mean spend) our money on.

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

Working...
                              X