• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying a mustang

Hi
    ive seen a 67 mustang coupe with a V8 advertise as a 289
    but checking the vin number itís a mustang 200 also needs welding as well
    is the mustang worth buying or keep away because started life as a straight six or is this acceptable in mustang world

Hello

As with anything its price vs condition. It its 3k and a big project then it may be worth it, If its 20k, has a 6 cyl engine, spindles, rear axle, then no.

Rust repair is the most expensive part of any restoration. I spend a minimum of £2000 for floor replacement plus the floor cost itself. When it goes into the front kick panels, inner cills and other areas its goes real high real fast.

A properly converted 6 cyl to V8 will have the five lug axles front and rear, the V8 engine of course of course and a V8 Trans. I have sold several V8 converted cars and when done properly the only difference is the engine code on the VIN, The bodies were no different. Big block V8 cars had a touch more structural support on the shock towers but thats about it. In my estimation a properly converted 6 cyl car vs the same car with a V8 from the factory is about a £5k discount. But a 6 cyl car with a V8 thrown in and none of the other parts changed is a huge discount. Finding a V8 rear axle is not easy and usually it needs rebuilt. Then the front spindles are needed plus of course the 5 lug wheels to fit on both.

Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
    We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Hi
      thanks
      front and rear wheels as 5 lugs already converted to front discs so you think itís been done correctly

Comment

That's a good thing to see

As mentioned it then comes down to condition and price

Good luck
        Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
        We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Another spot to look at is the upper control arm ball joint. This should have 4 bolts (or rivets) holding it to the arm. This will show if the whole suspension has been changed rather than just the spindles. It sounds like a pretty good conversion so far, and a disc conversion is a good thing to have. As Pete says its price and condition.
          Allan

Comment

Originally posted by ALLAN R View Post
            Another spot to look at is the upper control arm ball joint. This should have 4 bolts (or rivets) holding it to the arm. This will show if the whole suspension has been changed rather than just the spindles. It sounds like a pretty good conversion so far, and a disc conversion is a good thing to have. As Pete says its price and condition.
            My six cylinder has four bolt upper ball joints, didn't even know there was a difference.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
            1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
            2005 Mustang GT 2014-
            2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Anaconda View Post

My six cylinder has four bolt upper ball joints, didn't even know there was a difference.
              I was led to believe that the 6 pot cars had three rivets holding the ball joint to the UCA. Most have had the rivets drilled out and replacement ball joints bolted on now. No doubt knowing Mustangs there will always be an exception to the rule.
              Allan

Comment

Allan, Many V8 cars of ours have had 3 bolt orignal arms.

Comment

oh well that's that theory out the window. I wonder why there would be two designs if its not for the different engines.
                  Allan

Comment

I think but an no where near positive that four bolts are on replacement arms

Comment

Working...
                    X