Differential Third Member from the USA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differential Third Member from the USA

I've been going around the underside on my 65 Mustang replacing worn out bearings on the axle shafts and propshaft and still have a bit of play on the rear wheels so it seems the differential shaft race bearings are likely to have some wear, The outer shaft bearings were bad. So, I've been making enquiries in the UK and USA about either rebuilding the differential here and importing a complete third member there. I've decided I may as well go limited slip and the price I have for comparison in the UK for a rebuild is £1,4k against $1k for a third member plus freight and taxes which will end up costing around £1,250. So I'm thinking it makes sense to import a third member as it's only about 30 bolts and a new gasket to change myself against giving up the car for a week to a far away garage with all the additional cost and hassle that entails.

Two questions.

1, The removed third member what would its value be (in need of a refurb)?

2. Has anyone ever imported diffs from Quick Performance in the USA? They have very good online good reviews but nothing beats personal experience.

Hauser Racing in Northants are renowned for reconditioning Mustang diffs, might be worth getting a quote from them to do it:

https://www.hauserracing.com/pages/axles
    1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
    2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
    2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

I bought an 8" Posi on Ebay from Rons Machine Services last year:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-8-Mu...gAAOSwhBxcU0Ha

I also bought a 3.55:1 gearset (part no. SUM-740801) and installation kit (part no. RAT-538K) from Summit Racing. They have a section dealing with U.K. orders and will give you an all-in price for the items, shipping, tax, duties etc.

Both companies provided great service. Worth a look.

Comment

I would use Hauser Racing for a full unit or to rebuild yours.

Or Drag Race Engineering, also in the UK

If the diff arrives from the USA and has an issue then the £250 savings will be small potatoes.
        Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
        We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Thanks for the comments all.

Originally posted by jhepb1 View Post
          I bought an 8" Posi on Ebay from Rons Machine Services last year:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-8-Mu...gAAOSwhBxcU0Ha

I also bought a 3.55:1 gearset (part no. SUM-740801) and installation kit (part no. RAT-538K) from Summit Racing. They have a section dealing with U.K. orders and will give you an all-in price for the items, shipping, tax, duties etc.

Both companies provided great service. Worth a look.
          Couldn't find a Ratech 538K kit anywhere. I don't have access to a press other than via a mate to get the bearings fitted and I have never set up gear lash before so although I like the idea of rebuilding a diff from parts its something I'm not really set up to do or have any experience in doing.

As for Hauser Racing I've sent them an email asking if they do third members on a sale or exchange basis and I'll await their response and if they do it'll come down to cost comparison. They are too far away from me to do a drop off and then collect another day.

If the diff arrives from the USA and has an issue then the £250 savings will be small potatoes.
          That's a fair point but I've yet to find a UK supplier of third members and aside from the money there is the time out to consider and the cost to deliver a car somewhere not too close and then collect a car at a later date from somewhere not too close.

Comment

Here is a nice locking diff I intend to fit in my 65 8" axle. It has very good reviews and doesn't rely on friction plates and special oil to work. It will be as maintenance free as the factory open diff. If you want the best of both worlds maybe Hauser could fit one of these for you. I intend to do the work myself as I really don't think it is difficult to set up the crown and pinion lash.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/dtl-912a616
            Allan

Comment

Well found out a lot about differentials I never wanted or needed to know. I contact 6 companies in the USA regarding getting a complete build kit which includes everything bar the bearing caps and yoke to obtaining a complete third member ready to install and go. The upshot is only 2 bothered to respond and one contact quickly petered out when I mentioned export documentation. The last man standing asked why I decided to go with them rather than other larger concerns, easy answer he was the only one talking to me. If all goes well I'll post up their contact information.

Spec I've gone for a is a 8" third member fitted with 3.55 ratio posi using Timken bearings and seals, new yoke, new case for just shy of $1,000. It'll take up to 2 weeks to build after payment is made by credit card.

Because its a small racing outfit concern they don't do a lot of International shipment so I'm preparing the customs forms for them and arranging collection. The best price I have is £140 FexEx Premium 48 hour service. I had shipping prices ranging from £85 for surface freight to £6,470 for air freight. I'm hoping to come in on my £1,200 budget for delivered duty and VAT paid.

Comment

I bought a quick performance limited slip and 355 gears for £600 imported all in, yet to fit it as thereís a lot of other stuff to do, hauser quoted me £250 to rebuild it which is not a bad price, I'm seriously tempted to have a go myself but would love to get my hands on a casing so I can just crack on without dismantling. Let us know how you get on and post up the details of your supplier always good to know

Comment

I was thinking of having a go at it myself. The only drawback is I don't have a bearing press, but I know a mate who does. I'd have to buy in the backlash dial and a lb/in pre-load gauge which aren't expensive but they would only get used once. That is what put me off,, buying £60 of cheap Chinese tools that'd get one use. Assume all goes well and item arrives I'll have a spare casing that you could buy for a small charge to build a diff before fitting into your car.

Quick Performance was the one that went quiet on me. Their site was quoting big money to ship so I asked if I could arrange the transportation. They said yes but never came back with the essential info of pack size and weight and collection address, I asked three times for that before giving up.

Comment

Just for info I went for one of these, and had it shipped to a friend on Base. https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-INCH-MUST...MAAMXQ0pNQ9gEa

You could always use Ron Fenton for shipping - might be a cheaper option, but that 48 hour £140 FedEx quote sounds hard to beat!
                    1966 Mustang Hardtop - Trans-Am tribute in the making..
                    1962 Chevy C-20 Fleetside
                    1987 Peugeot 205 GTi track toy
                    1974 Ford Econoline E100

Comment

Iím lucky in that I work in engineering so most of the tools I need are available so not too put off by doing it myself

You should definitely call Geof at hauser Iím sure their prices arenít far off what youíre talking from the states and a lot easier to sort of things go south. Just looking at their web site and the parts come to around 900 plus the build

worth a call

Comment

The main reason I prefer to import is its delivered to the door rather than me having to deliver the diff somewhere and then have it delivered back to me a week or so later. That'd add a fair bit to the costs of the parts and labour. I've now paid the back street shop in Kentucky to make me a diff, all new components apparently including the case (he was particularly proud he has a source for new 8" cases). If all goes to plan it should be with me by this time next month. There are one or two reviews online that they can get behind and be a bit slow getting the diffs built but all seem to praise the quality which is more important to me seeing its not a must have right now part.

I did contact Hauser and they responded quickly. They were going to be £200 more plus the diff freight costs to and fro. At least with a replacement third member I can do the swap at my leisure and there and then with one out and the other straight in.

You could always use Ron Fenton for shipping - might be a cheaper option, but that 48 hour £140 FedEx quote sounds hard to beat!
                        The £85 quote was from Ron to ship mid-August. The Kentucky seller has a $70 internal US freight charge and then I'd need to pick it up from Rons place so the 48hr FedEx price is the way to go. Just hope those rates hold up to when I'm ready to arrange collection. Anyone looking to bring heavy things over from the USA the Summer period is good as a lot of factory's have their shut down maintenance periods in July and August so shipping rates are generally the best this time of year.

Comment

That was my thinking get another 3rd member rebuild and swap rather than strip mine and rebuild. I can do that at my leisure then.

Let us us know how it goes

Comment

Working...
                          X