UK registration turn around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK registration turn around

I recently sent off my V55/5 last Monday on a recorded delivery and the turn around anticipation kicked in straight away. So after a bit of research I see the DVLA state up to 6 weeks for the log book to arrive but other posts in the past say that they received their log book in under a week! Does anyone have any recent experience on the current turn around?

I have a service booked in on the 26th this month and I was hoping to get it done by then, so I can legally drive it there.

Mine took just over a week last year
    Sent off my V55 end of one week and received my V5 the Monday of not the next week but the following one

So nowhere near as bad as the 6 weeks they say

The important thing is giving them everything they ask for and never give them an exact date of first USA registration that can really screw things up and slow it down.

Best to give 1st January as it goes right through then,if you for instance said it was 23rd April they then require all sorts of extra proof

Good Luck and hope its real soon for you!

Comment

It took a working week from forms off to V5 back with my application 2 years ago. I thought that was pretty quick seeing 2 or 3 days would have been post transit time.

You can drive your car to and from a garage if it is insured and has passed or on its way for its MOT test. i assume your car has already passed as that was a requirement for the V55 application. Just needs to be insured on the VIN number. The traffic police would probably complain if you went out of area for a drive without any identifying plates on the car.

Comment

Ah crap, I put down the exact date of registration because that is what was in my original owners manual, my bad. I double and triple checked that everything else went with it so hopefully there won't be many hangups. Fortunately it has an mot and is insured so I can go to the garage.

I just want to get in and give it a good run whilst the weather is still good.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiche View Post
          Ah crap, I put down the exact date of registration because that is what was in my original owners manual, my bad. I double and triple checked that everything else went with it so hopefully there won't be many hangups. Fortunately it has an mot and is insured so I can go to the garage.

I just want to get in and give it a good run whilst the weather is still good.
          You may be lucky sometimes it depends on if you get a good egg at the DVLA if you do im sure itll be OK

If you check out random cars of other members on ebay etc and input the reg no into the vehicle tax checker online you will see most have date of first use as 1st of January or 31st December.

Lets just hope yours goes through without a hitch.

Know what you mean about just wanting to drive it I drove mine on Printed Laminated cardboard number plates for two days while I was waiting for the real plates to be delivered

First drive was something else when I discovered practically nothing worked on the car

Comment

DVLA took 2 weeks to come back to me on my '69 fastback and have just pulled mine for SGS inspection, 1st time in 5 cars I've bought in so will let you all know what they look at.
            Chris
            sigpic
            Mind if I adjust your shift stick?

Comment

Originally posted by Jollystang View Post

You may be lucky sometimes it depends on if you get a good egg at the DVLA if you do im sure itll be OK

If you check out random cars of other members on ebay etc and input the reg no into the vehicle tax checker online you will see most have date of first use as 1st of January or 31st December.

Lets just hope yours goes through without a hitch.

Know what you mean about just wanting to drive it I drove mine on Printed Laminated cardboard number plates for two days while I was waiting for the real plates to be delivered

First drive was something else when I discovered practically nothing worked on the car

Now I do like that car !
              Chris
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Quiche View Post
                Ah crap, I put down the exact date of registration because that is what was in my original owners manual, my bad.
                If you put an exact date they will likely want evidence of the date.

Club can provide a dating letter if necessary.

'99 Bright Atlantic Blue Convertible (Stock) & '67 Acapulco Blue Fastback (393 Stroker)
                http://www.67mustang.co.uk

Comment

They are currently taking between 2.5 and three weeks. It varies throughout the year but I have applied for three in the last six weeks.

Cheers, Ron

www.stsimports.co.uk
                  www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by silverfox999 View Post
                    DVLA took 2 weeks to come back to me on my '69 fastback and have just pulled mine for SGS inspection, 1st time in 5 cars I've bought in so will let you all know what they look at.
                    Chris
                    What triggered the SGS inspection, Chris? Was it just out of the blue, or are you changing something?

Edit - just spotted the wording - do you mean they are inspecting the '69 for first registration?
                    Last edited by rsk289; 17-08-2019, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rsk289 View Post

What triggered the SGS inspection, Chris? Was it just out of the blue, or are you changing something?

Edit - just spotted the wording - do you mean they are inspecting the '69 for first registration?
                      Hi Roger,

good to hear from you.

yes it's for the first reg, contacted SGS on Friday, waiting date for inspection.

i have no idea why I triggered this, be interesting to see what they say/do.

anyone else had an inspection via SGS ?
                      chris
                      sigpic

Comment

It’s just pot luck, mine was subject to an sgs inspection took em 4 weeks to get a very inflexible appointment, mon to fri 9-5, great for working stiffs!! Though the guy did call me an hour before to let me know. He was there 5 mins took a load of pics and said ‘yep that’s a 65 mustang’ when I asked why they were inspecting it he said just to make sure it is what I’d claimed it to be, some issues with money laundering and fraud etc..if you’re really lucky you get picked! Nowt to worry about just a pain

Comment

That sounds very much like what the local offices used to do. Although they never quite stretched any of my check appointments out to 5 mins, more like 1.5.

Comment

Does MOCGB offer an inspection service approved by the DVLA? Would that help people with registrations to avoid inspections?

I work for a sports car manufacture and I provide dating letters for the DVLA and then recommend the customer contacts the DVLA approved club. I dont get involved any further than that so not sure of the process.

Comment

Originally posted by andy-kitt View Post
                              Does MOCGB offer an inspection service approved by the DVLA? Would that help people with registrations to avoid inspections?

I work for a sports car manufacture and I provide dating letters for the DVLA and then recommend the customer contacts the DVLA approved club. I dont get involved any further than that so not sure of the process.
                              Not as far as I know.
                              My son and I do local inspections for another club and they take at least an hour to carry out, obviously SGS/DVLA are not at all interested in doing their job correctly! Do you have to pay for a SGS/DVLA inspection?
                              We have to check following numbers:
                              Front axle
                              Rear axle
                              Engine
                              Gearbox
                              Chassis
                              Steering box
                              Glass
                              Fuse box
                              Alternator
                              Other year specific parts etc
                              By the sounds of it we are putting too much effort into it!

Comment

Working...
                              X