Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S550 GT brakes and pads; average lifespan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S550 GT brakes and pads; average lifespan?

Just about to hit 8000 from new and the rear rotas have started to make that annoying squeal at 1s intervals when at low speeds. Which usually means pads and/or disks need doing.

I drive it fairly hard (who doesn't with one of these?), but 8000 seems very short.

Are others seeing similar?

Since your fronts do most of the braking then they should wear out quicker.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
    1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
    2005 Mustang GT 2014-
    2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

Originally posted by The_Fireball View Post
      Just about to hit 8000 from new and the rear rotas have started to make that annoying squeal at 1s intervals when at low speeds. Which usually means pads and/or disks need doing.

I drive it fairly hard (who doesn't with one of these?), but 8000 seems very short.

Are others seeing similar?
      You should have wear sensors on your pads and is there a lip on your discs? You might have a sticky piston it might be worth freeing them off and re application of copper slip on the sliders and back of the pads( tbh if I took the pads out I would probably swap them) if you drive it hard maybe upgrade to the green stuff pads

Comment

42000 miles and mine are still good all round.
        sigpic
        2016 S550 Ruby Red GT Auto

Comment

I`ve done 23,000 and mine are good prob dust or just stuck as above fronts do most of the stopping but having said that I had a quick audi and the rears wore out first and I think that's down to stability control ect

Comment

just look through the wheels, they're big enough spokes to see the outboard pad, newish cars wear pretty evenly usually.

There's no sensible average as only you know how and where you drive (at the moment!)

Comment

Cheers guys. Pads look like they have plenty of meat, left and the little metal indicator flap that contacts with the disk when they're very low is not even close. It's not even a constant noise, it's once per rotation.

It's due to go back to Ford for some more warranty work so I might as well get them to look at it too. If it's just wear and tear I'll replace it all myself.

Comment

Its probably something caught on the brake disc backing plate/dust cover or whatever you want to call it.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
                1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
                2005 Mustang GT 2014-
                2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

Working...
                X