This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts condition on delivery

Just recieved some parts from a popular classic mustang parts supplier, I won't mention names as I'm unsure of rules around that, just was pretty disappointed with the condition they arrived in, all tatty and beaten up, gives me the impression that they don't care much for their stock.

I'm hoping this isn't the norm as I'd really like to use these guys as a main supplier during my restoration.

Anyone else had any similar experiences?

Why shouldn't you name the company, how can we have a conversation about something we don't know what/who we are talking about?
    Anyway the odd item I have had from Rockauto has had damaged packaging or tatty boxes, a couple obviously have been opened before, saying that the parts have been just fine.
    If you want to see joke packaging you want to buy from Paddock Spares (which you probably won't unless you have a Land Rover), BUT on the up side both companies are pretty good on price and delivery times.

Comment

Originally posted by Anaconda View Post
      Why shouldn't you name the company, how can we have a conversation about something we don't know what/who we are talking about?
      Fair point, it was from mustang maniac, didn't want to cross any lines I didn't know about, still new here the outer packaging(shipping box) was well wrapped but the contents looked to have been just chucked around.

Comment

Good reviews or bad reviews a company can always learn from them, if they want to!
        Going to send you a PM in a minute.

Comment

To be fair to Mustang Maniac, were the parts damaged? or just the boxes?

Things like ball joints, suspension bits, brake pads, won't get damaged if they have a bit of rough handling and to be fair the boxes they are sold in are crap. I have boxes of parts on my shelves and just moving them about the boxes come apart.

Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
          We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Oh don't get me wrong, not out to bash, just asking the question:) the parts seem, okay. The wheel cylinders are a bit roughed up but overall the parts definately seem serviceable. Just compared to previous products from them they seemed very beaten up.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenephar View Post
              Oh don't get me wrong, not out to bash,
              However your post does exactly that unfortunately. I'll say immediately that Adam is a friend of mine and I do bring some of his huge stock over from the USA.

So these goods (that are undamaged) have traveled hundreds if not thousand of miles in the USA, thousands of miles on a plane or in a container to the UK and then transported within the UK before they were even placed on Mustang Maniacs shelf and you write a post accusing them of not caring about their stock? Quite unbelievable.

You want to see the state of a lot of packages turn up that turn up at our container, it's shocking.

Cheers, Ron

www.stsimports.co.uk
              www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk

Comment

Okay, let me put the brakes on this. I am out to cause Zero offence. If that is what has occurred you have my sincere apologies. And I really do mean that, if you believe my actions in this thread are maliciously meant or in an offensive spirit then I have communicated in a sub-standard way.

it was only that the first package I recieved from the company was pristine and the second wasn't and I was wondering if this is par for the course when ordering new parts or an anomaly. (It seems that it's pot luck depending on how the weather treats shipping containers and the long journey some of these packages have).

Again I apologise for any offence caused but I'm a firm believer in asking questions even if I look like an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. I also appreciate you taking the time to explain how there were a lot of factors I hadn't taken into account.

Cheers
                Ben

Comment

I hear what you're saying, Ben - I was a little disappointed that the box my water pump was delivered in from Rock Auto was ripped to shreds, but had to remember the 10lb sharp edged metal lump that had been rattling around inside it for 4,000 miles.

The pump was fine of course, though it had torn through the gasket - knowing MM I'm sure the parts inside are in perfect condition.
                  1966 Mustang Hardtop - Trans-Am tribute in the making..
                  1962 Chevy C-20 Fleetside
                  1987 Peugeot 205 GTi track toy
                  1974 Ford Econoline E100

Comment

I am not sure I can see what the issue is when looking at your picture and have never had an issue with MM parts, they have always been fine but I will add I donít recall the condition of the packaging, only the parts !

I bought a distributor cap for my 1965 fiat last year along with two brake cylinders from my local parts place, the boxes were old / dusty / faded and split but the parts were perfect and I was delighted to get new old stock !

Current Mustang Red 1965 Coupe - Previous Mustangs 2008 S197, 1965 Coupe

Comment

Not an issue, just asking the question, not used to dealing with parts for a car that is half a century old, I'm finding my feet with a lot of what's going on and what is considered normal in this area i have only just begun to explore. I'm not afraid to ask questions, and all of your responses are great, they're letting me know that this happens and is no cause for concern *thumbs up*

Comment

It's not unusual for couriers to reshape boxes. I had a metal fuel tank guard that came with three dents and 20 bare metal scrapes. I've had CJ Pony packs that arrive with parts poking out of large holes in the box. So long as the parts are intact then its par for the course of internet shopping heavier than 200g components.

I've used Mustang Maniac for parts when in a particular hurry but you'll find things usually half price from other suppliers. I use Amazon.com, eBay.com, CJ Pony, Summit Racing and Rock Auto for the bulk of orders. If you can find the parts on amazon.com (not amazon.co.uk) that Amazon warehouse and ship the shipping costs are amazingly low. Sometimes cheaper from the USA than Mustang Maniac is from here in the UK.

Comment

In support of what Peter says I have found that standard MoT and engine parts seem to come in very basic packaging that has a hard time putting up with rough handling. On the other hand some bling parts I have bought do have more robust and better packaging. Further as Ron says most of these parts have traveled half way around the world by the time they get to you. All the parts I've had from MM have been good and where I had an issue once, that was my mistake, they rectified the issue without a problem and cost.

As to the state of the parts themselves most are now made in the far east and I have had quality issues in the past with some bits, especially mechanical fuel pumps. If you have an issue like this its not MM's fault really and you can only judge them by their response in providing a replacement - which I am sure you will find exceptional.
                          Allan

Comment

I am a little surprised by this thread. It's a squished box with product inside that is fine. Given that brake parts are quite robust, there is little chance they have been damaged by whoever handled them in the chain of getting them from their country of origin to your desk.
                            It is after all not a piece of delicate Electronics that needs to arrive. And to clarify, I have had to report a DHL driver for booting a hard drive across the car park at work because he dropped it and could not be bothered to walk twice the 10 metres from reception to his car, and then proceeded to pop the back window of his Fiesta Van because he had so much stuff in the back. I believe he was asked to leave ! We never saw him again.
                            The good thing is that the UK supplier is known to be a good Mustang parts supplier and restorer. I do take it you spoke to them before posting this on here ?

Webmaster - Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain.
                            1994 - Indy Pace Car 938/1000
                            1995 - Cobra R 61/250

Comment

I'm more surprised you're resurrecting this thread and we're still talking about this tbh. If you read above Zenephar has already apologised and explained he's finding his feet over a week ago. You could argue he actually did the right thing before being urged to share details.

1969 302 Fastback

Comment

Working...
                              X