Rust...Already!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust...Already!

So, a few weeks ago, i saw another S550 2016MY parked up. With a big smile on my face, walked towards it & noticed that the bottom right of the hood (where hood meets the lights) was bubbling with rust. At about 10 meters, it was quite noticeable. I thought to myself, ' the owner needs to get that looked asap' and then 'phew, lucky i don't have that problem'....(yes, karma's a B8tch)...

Took my car down to London on Wednesday morning & when i got back immediately started to wash it. What did i notice? On both front wings, where they meet the bumper, a bit of bubbling of about 2-3cm wide!

Being right effed off (and realising car was now about 4 months past warranty), called up a local body shop who quoted about £240 for both wing re-sprays...however, he said i should still be covered by Fords paint warranty. So have had my car in at Evans Halshaw Bedford today, where they took £30 to 'inspect' that the car does indeed have rust.

Hopefully be able to get the car in to be inspected by their approved body shop tomorrow/next week who'll then submit a request to ford to see whether the problem can be rectified by them under the paint warranty.

For a car thats only 3.5 years old, surely not normal is it to have that? Incidentally, my usual car is also a ford (s-max) which i also bought from Evans & have had no problems whatsoever with that.

Just a warning, they will almost definitely refuse your claim due to not having a yearly rust inspection.
    Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
    We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

The reason is that Ford are still incapable of making an ali bonnet, they couldn't make on for the S197 and looks like they still haven't learned how to do it. Its beyond my comprehension that Ford don't know how to make one properly so have decided to do it on the cheap and sod the customer. My advice would be don't buy a Ford which has an ali bonnet.

Sorry didn't read it properly, looks like they are also incapable of painting wings aswell, are they ali or steel?
      Last edited by Anaconda; 25-10-2019, 07:36 PM.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
      1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
      2005 Mustang GT 2014-
      2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Bedford Muscle View Post
        So, a few weeks ago, i saw another S550 2016MY parked up. With a big smile on my face, walked towards it & noticed that the bottom right of the hood (where hood meets the lights) was bubbling with rust. At about 10 meters, it was quite noticeable. I thought to myself, ' the owner needs to get that looked asap' and then 'phew, lucky i don't have that problem'....(yes, karma's a B8tch)...

Took my car down to London on Wednesday morning & when i got back immediately started to wash it. What did i notice? On both front wings, where they meet the bumper, a bit of bubbling of about 2-3cm wide!

Being right effed off (and realising car was now about 4 months past warranty), called up a local body shop who quoted about £240 for both wing re-sprays...however, he said i should still be covered by Fords paint warranty. So have had my car in at Evans Halshaw Bedford today, where they took £30 to 'inspect' that the car does indeed have rust.

Hopefully be able to get the car in to be inspected by their approved body shop tomorrow/next week who'll then submit a request to ford to see whether the problem can be rectified by them under the paint warranty.

For a car thats only 3.5 years old, surely not normal is it to have that? Incidentally, my usual car is also a ford (s-max) which i also bought from Evans & have had no problems whatsoever with that.
        I brought mine from Evans Halshaw Bedford and they sold me the gard x protection too. It was one owner from new with 4K on the clock so will that be covered by fords warranty then?

Comment

You have to get the yearly paint inspection or they bust your balls on a claim
          Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
          We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Originally posted by pmustang View Post
            Just a warning, they will almost definitely refuse your claim due to not having a yearly rust inspection.
            My last service was in January of this year, which Evans performed and since i've reported the problem immediately & not let it get excessive....they would still not honour the 'perforation' warranty?

Comment

I’m sorry to hear this, many many mustangs suffer with this, my first s197 had it. I was confused when you said your hood had rust though I must say! Cloth/Vinyl doesn’t rust!!
              2013-2016 2005 S197 V6 Coupe Black
              2017-2018 2007 S197 GT Coupe Tungsten
              2019-Current 2005 S197 GT Convertible Black

Comment

Originally posted by Musti View Post
                I’m sorry to hear this, many many mustangs suffer with this, my first s197 had it. I was confused when you said your hood had rust though I must say! Cloth/Vinyl doesn’t rust!!
                The hood rust was another white s550 that i saw a few weeks ago.

Comment

You have to get the yearly paint inspection or they bust your balls on a claim
                  Just been in to a ford approved body shop in Cranfield, where been told that as i don't have any stamps for the body & paint inspection, ford wont approve him to do any work. Stupidly, didn't realise the body & paint inspection (what i paid Evans Halshaw yesterday £30 for) i should have had done last year to keep my car in the 12 year perforation warranty (so yes, wasted £30 & an hour yesterday for something Evans could have told me was pointless as my 12 year paint warranty was already voided).

Been quoted by someone locally that each wing would set me back about £240 to get fixed, whereas the ford approved garage is saying that was way too less & that bodyshop will only do a quick n dirty job....he said (top of his head) i'd be looking at around £1200 total fix job - he'll provide a proper quote tomorrow for me.

Am going to contact Ford CRC Monday (though won't be holding my breath) to see if they shall pickup the fix cost (even if partially)...

Comment

Why should any new car have to have a rust inspection every year. Ridiculous. The cars shouldn’t rust period.

It seems Ford quality has gone down the plug, my 50 year old unrestored Mustang, with original paint, doesn’t have any rust on it, so a 3 year old car definitely shouldn’t.
                    1969 Mustang Mach 1 M code
                    1970 Dodge Challenger A66
                    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_B View Post
                      Why should any new car have to have a rust inspection every year. Ridiculous. The cars shouldn’t rust period.
                      The reason for the yearly inspection is to pick up any issues as soon as possible and correct them.
                      It may only need to be minor paint repair whereas if left could result in new panels.

However the bonnet corrosion is a completely different issue.
                      It's been happening from the start of aluminium bonnets in 2005 when the S197 came out and across all the variations of bonnet shapes through to the S550.
                      Fords normal response assuming they agree the work falls within warranty appears to be to replace the bonnet with new, so it matters not how many inspections it's had the fix is the same.
                      Stuart
                      2014 GT/CS

Comment

I have to agree that the initial price quoted is far too cheap, to do then properly with paint match will require going into the doors with paint

£1200 on the other hand sounds high

I had nightmares on the "paint inspection" issue myself and have read about similar many times

I fought like a rabid dog over months and got ford to cover it. 2001 Mondeo with doors that looked like they were from the bottom of the ocean

Comment

I have to agree that the initial price quoted is far too cheap, to do then properly with paint match will require going into the doors with paint

£1200 on the other hand sounds high

I had nightmares on the "paint inspection" issue myself and have read about similar many times

I fought like a rabid dog over months and got ford to cover it. 2001 Mondeo with doors that looked like they were from the bottom of the ocean
                          Pretty sure Ford had a recall on the Mondeo doors.
                          £1200 is too high and if the rust is at the front of the wing only the colour could be lost on the wing alone and not go into the doors, might need to do the corner of the bumper though.
                          As to paint warranty inspection then surely that should be done at service time by Ford WITHOUT you having to ask or pay for, nonsense!

1966 Coupe: 1995-
                          1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
                          2005 Mustang GT 2014-
                          2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

So Ford think a yearly look over by" bob the paint" in the paint shop will prevent rust?? i don't think so!!!! given issues with the S197, and Fords lack of of response to deal with, i would go legal. I bet the courts would (- given ALL the info on s197/s550 rust issues ) take a very dim view of their attitude. By releasing that "how to sort the hood issue" thing they did on the s197's they are effectively admitting they have a problem. I would get legal advise on this.

Comment

Yes mondeo had a recall, mine had no paint inspection stamps

Paint inspection gets them off the hook, its the ultimate get out clause. By making it a request item no one ever does it

Going legal is what everyone always suggests with any Issue. At £200-£400 an hour you better have a strong stomach

Call corporate. Keep fighting, its BEYOND frustrating as they try and beat you with huge phone wait times and repetitive questions. Ultimately when you get a reference number for your complaint, things start to happen .

Comment

Working...
                              X