No announcement yet.

Rust...Already!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incidentally, looked at fibre glass wings (jw-racing do them), but with painting & fitting it'll probably workout to about the same cost that the approved garage has now quoted (£1246.75).

Comment

My s197 had a bit of corrosion (not rust- that occurs on ferrous metals) on the front lip when I acquired it. Digging around the back showed almost conclusively that it originated in the folded joint between the inner frame and outer skin, Cleaned the bit of sealer and the corrosion from the inside with a 3M clean and strip wheel (don't put a wire brush or wheel anywhere near), dug out the chip on the outer edge with a stainless knife from the kitchen then spray bombed the inner bit and touched in the little chip on the outside with a brush. Good enough for me but obviously most want better.

Main thing is afterwards I removed the bonnet and stood it upright on a bit of old carpet. Poured a load of Dinitrol into the inner cavity and moved it around so it flowed into the front crimped joint, repeated the process for the other 3 sides.The corrosion hasn't reoccurred in the last 18 months.

Did the same to a friend of mine's 2018 car so we'll see how that goes. Be good to see some close up pic of the fender corrosion the maybe apply some dinitrol in the right area. Prevention is way better than cure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bedford Muscle View Post

I got it detailed & ceramic coated at just over £700 when i first bought the car. But like johno mentioned, it's a prep problem
        Ford are complete w...... for knowingly selling them with this issue wtf

Comment

Without lifting the bonnet i have the dreaded bubbling on n/s edge and just under the lip but seams ok on o/s :(
          Present drive S550 Lhd Convertible EcoBoost

Comment

Waxoyl from the inside
            2013-2016 2005 S197 V6 Coupe Black
            2017-2018 2007 S197 GT Coupe Tungsten
            2019-Current 2005 S197 GT Convertible Black

Comment

Used to like waxoyl but unless it's very hot I don't think it seeps into the joints quite as well as thinner Dinitrol.

Comment

I know what youíre saying but I love the stuff. Not heard of that dinitrol so will stick with what I know.

Comment

I've read the Ford warranty regards paint and rust, they've been careful about this. Basically the paint is guaranteed for 3 years as long as you can prove it's due to Ford factory workmanship and not due to neglect, the anti perforation warranty only comes into effect once you have rust so bad it's eaten through a panel and the panel has to be literally perforated before they will instigate a repair (once again provided you can prove it isn't due to neglect)...

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/my-vehicle/warranties/faqs

This warranty seems a bit wobbly and if you're casually told about it I'm sure it would sound good, but in reality what are the chances of getting them to swallow the cost of repairs when they could say a stonechip started it all which isn't their fault?

Comment

Thereís something in the sale of goods act about a product lasting or performing for a ďfairĒ amount of time. That relates to any product and Iíd argue that these issues are occurring before a fair or expected time. Iíll do some googling and post again.
                    Last edited by Musti; 31-10-2019, 09:21 AM.

Comment

weight in numbers... 550 owners need to put heads together through this site to present their evidence, and maybe liaise with american owners too through usa forums.

Comment

Sales of goods act doesnít appear to cover this as itís more for in store day to day purchases, however this maybe useful.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/your-le...your-car/n3307

Comment

I 'think' in America they've tried class actions about the mt82 failures and bubbly bonnets without much success. Also the tick is a massive deal it seems on the gen 2 and more notably gen 3 coyotes and so far ford's response has been to classify it as a normal operating characteristic that requires no action.

My car is having a tick assessed at the moment and Ford are taking it seriously and have dealt with it well so far, so I guess it depends on where you take it and how it's dealt with in the individual case.

Comment

if we were aston martin owners- they would not get away with it!!

Comment

So, an update:

Ford CRC confirmed yesterday that they would pay the full cost of the fix provided to them by the approved garage of £924.10 but excl. the VAT, which i would have to pay for (the quote to me personally vs Ford is different by the garage). I've agreed to the amount & booked in a date with the garage in a few weeks.

I asked the garage whether my paint/perforation would now be covered under ford warranty...they said it wouldn't, as Ford would see it as a good-will gesture only. The garage would provide warranty for 6 years on the work they do for the front wings.

Happy that Ford paying most of the cost & i'll only be forking out a just under £200, but still disappointing to a degree...to make up for it i may treat myself to a mod install by the garage while they have my car

Comment

Originally posted by Bedford Muscle View Post
                                So, an update:

Ford CRC confirmed yesterday that they would pay the full cost of the fix provided to them by the approved garage of £924.10 but excl. the VAT, which i would have to pay for (the quote to me personally vs Ford is different by the garage). I've agreed to the amount & booked in a date with the garage in a few weeks.

I asked the garage whether my paint/perforation would now be covered under ford warranty...they said it wouldn't, as Ford would see it as a good-will gesture only. The garage would provide warranty for 6 years on the work they do for the front wings.

Happy that Ford paying most of the cost & i'll only be forking out a just under £200, but still disappointing to a degree...to make up for it i may treat myself to a mod install by the garage while they have my car
                                Well done what a load of unwanted stress though. I’m pleased it ended well for you though mate

Comment

Working...
                                X