Mustang SUV - Mach E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AMBullitt View Post
    Lol I am just stating a fact not being aggressive at all, it all pretty normal to have anything new which does fit the mood to be knocked so expect nothing different and we all line different things, but from the majority of the feedback from forums I don’t think the Mach E will get a friendly warm reception TBH
    I will ask at the AGM tomorrow but I can't see from the clubs present mission statement how the car could be excluded when it carries the Mustang name, it would put the club in an awkward position as we even welcome members who do not own Mustangs. As Mustangs go it is outside what the present idea (concept) of a Mustang is but it may well be the future and how things go. I can remember back in the late 70's when the idea of the muscle car and V8s were thought to be confined to history - but that never happened as power has gone up and up. Its very difficult to predict.
    Allan

Comment

Agree Alan

so how was the meeting, sorry was up north so could not attend

MarkT

Comment

It was bound to happen at some point an electric mustang if you look at you tube lots of people going on about it and loads make the comment that the worst thing Ford did to tarnish the mustang name was release the S550 with the 2.3 eco boom POS engine their words not mine .
        personally the spec of it and features its a great car not 100% sold that they should have put mustang on it but they have .
        Its got some classic mustang features in its styling .
        At the end of the day its done and we have to live with it ,no need to run off to the hills and sell your mustang its not likely that they would turn up to shows or meets but hey if they did I would want a look s .
        I have had the same resentment for owning a S550 at some meets its not a classic its not a left hand drive at the end of the day its a mustang and the GT version is seriously fast
        Its good business sense for ford to market as a mustang they are not around to keep the mustang clubs happy.
        I agree that the overall green ness of electric vehicles is debatable with raping of the world for the nicad batteries that take place and the limited lifetime of them and you only moving the pollution from streets to power stations I think hydrogen is the way to go myself the most abundant element in the universe.

Comment

I really think that some of you are missing the point.
          It has nothing to do with 0-60 times or top speed, nothing to do with engine size or even the fact it has an electric motor or two (or more maybe), or what colour it is.
          The point is that it has nothing in common with any Mustang ever built and doesn't even resemble one in anyway. Ok the lights might be similar and it has a horse badge stuck on it but that about it. You could do exactly the same with a Mondeo/Fiesta/Focus etc or even the Ranger and have a pickup version, why not?
          With regards to marketing I don't see the connection between the two, surely no one will go into a showroom to buy a S550 and come out with one of them instead or visa versa?

Comment

Originally posted by AMBullitt View Post
            Agree Alan

so how was the meeting, sorry was up north so could not attend

MarkT
            The meeting was good. Minutes will be put up on the members section of the forum. Essentially the club had a very good year with membership up on last year, with a lot of people joining at the Excel and NEC shows. Lots of successful events in 2019 including the Santa Pod meeting which will be repeated in 2020. I wont say more as I don't want to steal anyones thunder.

As for the Mach E I did raise this topic and the general feeling in the meeting is that whilst the car is not in the same mould as the Mustang has been todate it is a Ford car and it has the Mustang name so essentially it has to be accepted in the club. This said the committee took an action to discuss the things further and (I think) issue an "official" club response.
            Allan

Comment

Thanks Allan

Comment

A little update on the Mustang Mach-E after attending a very professional presentation to members of the public at a local dealership by Ford.

The vehicle was a pre-production unit and was the one which had been on display at Ford Dunton Technical Centre. If we can get over the fact it has been badge and called a Mustang the car itself looks good up close and does have a few Mustang lines incorporated within the look of the vehicle. It is a lot smaller than you would expect for an SUV and despite the car having a panoramic glass roof the interior of the car looks quite dark but did appear to have a lot of room inside. The car has two displays the main one being a 15.5” display, which may make the interior look lighter when on, maybe once viewed outside the cabin might be a lot lighter in natural daylight. Starting price for the RWD Mach-E will be 40270 for a standard range of 280 miles.

With regard charging Ford believes 95% of vehicles will be charged either at home or at a place of work. An optional extra will be a Ford Connected Wallbox which offers greater convenience and faster charging times than a domestic socket. Figures quoted are 27 miles of range every hour compared to 8 miles of range per hour from a normal home socket, so in theory a full charge can be obtain overnight with the Wallbox. Personally I still wonder how this would work if you don’t have a driveway or worse still cannot park outside your own house. I am also not sure what a friend/relative might say when you go to visit them and asked to plug in your car to get a charge for the drive home.

As a pre-production unit the car looked well put together and felt solid when opening and closing doors, tail gate and bonnet. Storage space did not look that large in the boot for a five passenger seating car, addition storage is available in the front of the car but is not particularly large and when the car goes into production their might be an option for it to be a cold/hot storage area.

The First Edition (priority build) is still available for pre-orders but has limited availability. In the States the First Edition is officially full with a quarter of all reservations coming from California.

Back to the branding and clearly Ford see this SUV as a performance car and part of the Mustang family. I don’t think the general public or those buying the car will mind it being called a Mustang but certainly existing Mustang owners and enthusiasts may take some convincing in the way the name has been used.

The club committee will be meeting in the first quarter of this year when the Mach-E will be up for discussion.
                Editor Round Up
                2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6.4 Hemi Yellow Jacket
                2011 ROUSH Stage 2 Mustang
                1964.5 Vintage Burgundy 164hp 260ci V8 Convertible

Comment

Couldnt imagine the wife ever being arsed to plug one in tbh lol.
                  The lack of parking outside peoples house will eliminate haft the country from buying one.
                  I personally would have one if we could get the realistic range up to at least 350. Thats what I need to get to say Manchester airport or a gig on an evening.

Comment

Originally posted by G19 View Post
                    With regard charging Ford believes 95% of vehicles will be charged either at home or at a place of work. An optional extra will be a Ford Connected Wallbox which offers greater convenience and faster charging times than a domestic socket. Figures quoted are 27 miles of range every hour compared to 8 miles of range per hour from a normal home socket, so in theory a full charge can be obtain overnight with the Wallbox. Personally I still wonder how this would work if you don’t have a driveway or worse still cannot park outside your own house. I am also not sure what a friend/relative might say when you go to visit them and asked to plug in your car to get a charge for the drive home.
                    The UK isn't setup to support electric vehicles, many people do not have offstreet parking adjacent to their house and have to park some distance from home....

When I lived in London I had a flat in a Victorian block where there were essentially 2 parking spaces on the road outside for 8 flats, this was repeated the whole length of the road. I used to have to drive round the local streets for at least 10-15 minutes trying to find a space then walk home from wherever I'd parked. I actually remember one morning after being ill for a few days walking round in circles as I couldn't remember where I'd parked a few days before!

Here's an example of someone who can't park outside their house running cables down the road:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/...c-car-14552658

And guidance from Hampshire council to not lay cables across pathways and to use a cable protector:

https://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/e...rging-guidance

Cable protectors like that will likely only cause a nuisance to those in wheelchairs or with other mobility issues.

I once heard someone talk about installing kerbside charging points fed from streetlights, that might work for one or two vehicles but is going to need a huge upgrade to the street lighting infrastructure to support loads of vehicles all charging overnight with the combined power draw.

That's not to consider the health and safety implications and aesthetic challenges of kerbside charging points all along the pavement, especially where again we have streets that were never designed for vehicles with extremely narrow pavements.

I'll look to be proven wrong but electric cars will always be a niche and won't replace traditional cars, some other alternative is needed.

'99 Bright Atlantic Blue Convertible (Stock) & '67 Acapulco Blue Fastback (393 Stroker)
                    http://www.67mustang.co.uk

Comment

My brother applied to make a drop down kerb to get his car into his garden some years ago. This was refused by the council. He recently reapplied saying it was to allow for charging of his, to be purchased, EV and got permission. Now with a drop down kerb he can park his 911 in his garden???
                      I think the whole thing with EV's has not been thought out. At home you can use a 13 amp charger off a mains socket with no problem. The next level is the 32 amp charger which requires a special socket but if everyone in the locality wants one and plugs their car in the local sub station will likely not cope. Local councils will not allow cables to be stretched across foot paths. If they do I will deliberately fall over one and claim - I should get loads of petrol money out of that.
                      Allan

Comment

Can't see a street lamp having wiring capable of charging a car, they're were only designed to run a light bulb. Round here they're cast iron ones that have probably been there since before the war.
                        1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
                        2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
                        2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Bearintown View Post
                          Couldnt imagine the wife ever being arsed to plug one in tbh lol.
                          The lack of parking outside peoples house will eliminate haft the country from buying one.
                          I personally would have one if we could get the realistic range up to at least 350. Thats what I need to get to say Manchester airport or a gig on an evening.
                          Don't want to worry you but the extended range model MACH-E is said to be 370 miles RRP 50,190
                          Editor Round Up
                          2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6.4 Hemi Yellow Jacket
                          2011 ROUSH Stage 2 Mustang
                          1964.5 Vintage Burgundy 164hp 260ci V8 Convertible

Comment

Just like mpg the range is hypothetical and not based on reality. Winter and hills will reduce range by a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by ALLAN R View Post
                              The next level is the 32 amp charger which requires a special socket but if everyone in the locality wants one and plugs their car in the local sub station will likely not cope.
                              The newer chargers are Wifi connected (assuming your house has it) and reduce charging or switch off altogether if the local supply is on high demand.
                              Presumably they reduce charging when known high demand occurs like in the Ad breaks for Soaps or Football.

Daughter in law has just had a Pod Point 7kw 32amp Smart charger fitted for their Nissan Leaf.

And yes, street light circuits wouldn't cope with a charger on every post, maybe a 3kw top up just on 1 post in the area.
                              Stuart
                              2014 GT/CS

Comment

Originally posted by mad4v8 View Post

The newer chargers are Wifi connected (assuming your house has it) and reduce charging or switch off altogether if the local supply is on high demand.
                                Presumably they reduce charging when known high demand occurs like in the Ad breaks for Soaps or Football.

Daughter in law has just had a Pod Point 7kw 32amp Smart charger fitted for their Nissan Leaf.

And yes, street light circuits wouldn't cope with a charger on every post, maybe a 3kw top up just on 1 post in the area.
                                This just substantiates what I was saying. Unless there is a major rebuild of our power grids then not everyone will be able to have an EV. This way we will go back to the beginning of motoring where only the rich will have cars if ICE cars get banned. Can't see it happening myself, we are too reliant on cars.

People need to read some "Which" reports on EV's. They are good as urban shopping trolleys but not nearly so good on faster roads or motorways. I read that the first generation Leaf came down to 40 miles on the motorway with a bit of heating and headlights. Also aircon will really sap power, more so than heating.
                                Allan

Comment

Working...
                                X