Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acd1t
    replied
    Dave, I think you are spot on with this SUV being a total embarrasment to the Mustang name. With this in mind, Allan, your comment on the club mission statement being up for discussion means that this needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. Whilst I agree that anyone can join despite what they drive, it should not follow that there must be a slot in this forum to discuss the new car.

From my previous post the SUV may well have been given the Mustang name, but it is neither a sports coupe or convertible like every other member's car on here. You could scribble 'Mustang' on the side of a four wheeled skip, but it doesn't give it any sort of entitlement to be compared with our cars. Using that arguement the SUV shouldn't be given space on here. I'm sure whosoever buys one would rather associate with other owners on their own forums or social media groups anyway, but it's preferable to try and neutralise the inevitable sniggering and xxxx taking from other muscle car groups now as opposed to later when the Mustang name has been well and truely sullied.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• Anaconda
    replied
    Who would have thought that it will become embarrassing to say that you have a Mustang and the other person presumes you mean the SUV. Might sell mine out of the shame of being associated with it.

Leave a comment:

• JAR
    replied
    I do see your point, I doubt anyone who has long yearned after Mustang ownership for years could be duped into believing this accomplishes that goal. However how can the club close its doors to new owners of this car, perhaps they join on the understanding the car isn't recognised as a Mustang by members here. I'm not one of them....it sadly is a Mustang, albeit through cynical marketing yes. As long as it has the name I'll let the change flow over me in a zen like fashion

Leave a comment:

• ALLAN R
    replied
    I also totally agree with everything Alan has said but if this SUV thing is launched as a Mustang Mach E and carries the Mustang name I don't see how the club can refuse to accept club members who own one. I drafted out the most recent club mission statement for the committee and it clearly states that the club membership is open to all types of Mustangs and even people who do not own a Mustang. This mission statement is currently with the committee for consideration but is based on the original words drawn up many years ago. Perhaps it could be a topic for discussion at the AGM next month.

Leave a comment:

• GeoffW
    replied
    Totally agree Alan, well said.

Leave a comment:

• acd1t
    replied
    This is what is concerning me: This is a club for owners of Mustangs. There seems to be two clear camps regarding the Mach-E, those who can see there is absolutely no similarity between it and any other Mustang built since 1964 and those who think it is a Mustang on the basis it wears a badge that says as much. 'Other' groups or clubs are leaning heavily toward the latter view but what I would like to know is how this long established club will view the car and if it will be accepted and catered for within the club.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, there were some who derided the S550. From what I can recall it was only down to the styling which was clearly done to satisfy the global market to which it would be aimed. That aside, the S550 still followed all the Mustang characteristics of being a two door coupe or convertible, long hood/ short deck, 2+2 seating, rear wheel drive and some decent power under the hood.

What we have with the Mach-E is a vehicle that shares none of the characteristics of the previous 55 years of Mustang production. I think anyone with half a brain can see Ford's cynical attempt to cash in on the name of its longest selling and possibly best loved model. It draws attention to a demographic who otherwise wouldn't be able to have a 'real' Mustang due to personal cicumstances (ie: having to haul the wife, three kids, the dog, several bikes and the roof box around) or is sucked in to its so-called 'Green' credentials. We all know electric cars are coming en masse and an electric power plant in a two door, 2+2 coupe is fine by me.

This club needs to think carefully regarding this SUV. It shouldn't kowtow to some form of politically correct form of 'inclusiveness' simply because it has the Mustang badge on it. In recent days it has been quite evident that many within and outside of the Mustang owning community are pointing and laughing at it as well as seriously taking the mickey out of Ford for its very poor judgement in giving it the Mustang name. Do we need this sort of ridicule aimed at the club after 40 years of being established? My answer is emphatically No!

Alan

Leave a comment:

• andy-kitt
    replied
    Mark,

Your car is the perfect example of why the name is totally wrong.
    Mustang=performance coupe
    Mach=performance version
    E=Electric

So this car should be the hybrid electric Mustang car not a SUV.

It worries me Ford maybe doing the same as Audi are doing with the TT, turning a performance coupe into a SUV and this is stage 1

This is just a publicity stunt to get people talking about what would otherwise be yet another SUV

Now there are rumors of a even longer name

https://uk.motor1.com/news/383592/mu...-shelby-plans/

Leave a comment:

• Mark_B
    replied
    I'm sure that Mustang SUV will be popular on the school run with racy Mum's. But really it's Ford selling out it's greatest icon, to try and pay back it's $100 billion dept pile.

Originally posted by rsk289 View Post

Nothing green about electric cars...
    Yes, some of it's power will comes from our Coal Fire Power Stations, especially around winter.

Leave a comment:

• 66coop
    replied

Off to look at a 2-door Mk1 Cortina GT for my brother this afternoon...
    Ooh, very jealous..!

Leave a comment:

• ALLAN R
    replied

Absolutely I think cradle to grave they are much less green than ICE cars.

Electric car vs V8 - its like a steam locomotive vs a DMU (diesel multi unit)

Leave a comment:

• rsk289
    replied
    Originally posted by mach1mike View Post
    Probably got better range than mine on a full tank

Leave a comment:

• rsk289
    replied
    Originally posted by Chewbacca View Post
    Re: Mule

they could have called it the Donk-E
    That is far and away the best suggestion yet.

Good grief. Not sure I can take Ford seriously again. The SUV market is ridiculous in this time of supposed environmentalism - to have an electric SUV is just stupid. But then, you have to supply what the market wants, and the market is 50% composed of people with an IQ less than 100...

Off to look at a 2-door Mk1 Cortina GT for my brother this afternoon, he wants to relive 1973 again.*

* yes, 1973 - he didn't have his first one new

Leave a comment:

• Chewbacca
    replied
    I’m sure it is perfectly good appliance. It is not a Mustang in a month of Sundays

Leave a comment:

• macstang
    replied
    One good thing about it at least the Mustang 2 will lose it's position of the most derided Mustang. Can I point out that I actually quite like the Mustang 2 and was pleased to see one on the calendar this year.

Leave a comment:

• JAR
    replied
    agreed, everytime they run through the various Mustang eras this daft eyesore will be there.

And now that its done and dusted, completely irrevocably changed the Mustang brand, it actually might make me choose this electric SUV over another.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X