Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

65 Fast back respray cost?

Hi
    I'm sure this has been discussed many times over but here goes! I'd like to get my car put back to it's original Wimbledon white body work is ok and it's not a show car by any means, I know the adage 'how longs a piece of string' is appropriate but i'm looking for a decent quality job, it'll be prep'd and disassembled with the glass out I'm trying to gauge a cost really, not a job i'd like to tackle myself

cheers

I’d go to Shorade on the walsall road for a quote, I think they will charge you for the quote but they then knock it off the price of the job. I’m sure you’ve been passed a few times, they only have expensive cars in there and are well known for their high quality work.
    2013-2016 2005 S197 V6 Coupe Black
    2017-2018 2007 S197 GT Coupe Tungsten
    2019-Current 2005 S197 GT Convertible Black

Comment

I know it well, might be a bit toward the top end of my budget they do accident stuff and high end cars

Comment

It will be towards the top of your budget I would assume but the finish will be incredible.

Comment

There’s a few places down here in Northampton (where I work) that all look high end but only deal in top end cars I’m guessing 10k jobs I only have a modest budget!

Comment

No one is going to give you a price until they have seen the job in hand, prior to this will only be guess work and will not be honoured.

you need to go bare metal, who knows what’s lurking under your paint in 50 years

one of my cars looked great with just a few scabs on the rear wheel arch, digging further the quarter had filler 1” deep on a large area.
            Last edited by Gazza51; 19-05-2020, 03:31 PM.
            Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Comment

I thought it would be around 10k anyway for the reasons Gazza mentioned, also you want it right, if it’s done and looks a bit flat or just not to your expectation you’ll regret it get a few quotes from good places and if they’re out of your budget put the work off a year or 2.

Comment

Gazza is right here.

There is a massive scope between a scuff and blow over on your existing body work

Heavier sanding, body work and skim coat on bad area, still with worry of paint adhesion and popping of poor prior work

Bare metal, which WILL find nasties

Then do you want panels off, boot, bonnet, doors, all seals and trim?

Its a slippery slope. Then you do paint and the chrome looks crap, interior looks tired........Down the rabbit hole
                Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

I’m soooooo far down the hole now I’m sure I can see daylight or a train!! It’s got to be done right and I’d rather put it off till I can afford it than throw good money after bad. Just looking see what kind of ball park comes back

Comment

If you want ballpark, if you can do the bodywork to body shop standards then I’d expect 3000 to 4000 for them to paint and polish, you refit everything.

A full bare metal strip, prep and paint nearer to 10k
                    Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Comment

I don’t mind putting the work in to
                      prep it one panel at a time! 5k is as much as I can afford tbh

Comment

We would be around the 9k mark for full bare metal that includes all the strip and refit of car basically drive car to us complete pick it up complete only real effect on price would be if we uncovered something hugely sinister like we needed to replace a quater most general repairs of bodywork would be all in would recomend you buying all new seals for the refit though

Comment

Looks like I’m gonna have to do a bit of saving. I’d love to drop her off and pick her up all gleaming and looking better than new.

much appreciate the sound advice as always you get what you pay for

Comment

Yeah, I’m gutted it’s turned out like this for you but as you said probably for the best and you’ll get a fantastic finish!!

Comment

I used to go to a place in daventry called Normandales saw a few mustangs in there over the years they did good paint, lots of motorsport but also classics. I never saw the invoices but i doubt they were cheap
                              another place near northampton called OCS, they paint lots of yanks looks like good work when I went over to an open day at their workshop few years ago. again unfortunately i have no idea what they charge but they might be an avenue for inquiry
                              davey

Comment

Working...
                              X