Style Council -Mods-restorations-Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Style Council -Mods-restorations-Results

Morning Guys and girl’s I thought as a car community it would be really interesting if we shared the journey of first purchasing the cars And then our first steps to personalisation of our Mustangs ​​​​and what that lead us to do next and why and where we are up to now? Owning a Gen 2 S550 mine have been purely cosmetic up until now but I’m very interested in seeing what you have done to yours and honest reviews on how you found them. Im also humbled by the skill sets involved with the classic owners beautiful cars and what it’s taken to resolve issues restorative works and if anyone has found the need to tastefully update there cars for ease of maintenance and motoring on Modern day roads and motorways. I know you probably have posted pictures years ago but for some of the newer members myself included would love to see them all in one place it’s time consuming and very difficult to navigate through old threads especially when sometimes there’s some time elapsed between posts .
    Anyway waffle over I hope you find Time to join in I will kickoff with... I purchased my second Mustang a year ago at Evans Halshaw Competition Orange GT 3800 miles 1 owner. I brought there Gard X paint protection for 300 with a 3 year warranty ( absolute rip off) I maintained it did everything they said including paint inspections and after 6 months I went back with an issue and they tried to completely go back on everything they said they told me it wasn’t a paint protection and I would have to claim from Gard x etc the guy who sold me the protection tried to avoid me and sent some Cheeky chappy Geezer to try and waste my time 3-4 separate appointments with various Sales and service managers who didn’t return my call’s etc until I went back ​​​​​​ and lifted the roof and asked the dealership Principal if he would like me to play the recording secretly made at the last meeting with his representatives and the treatment I had on social media and 3 counties radio before I took them to court. He couldn’t of been more helpful and the paint was rectified that week so read into that what you will but I would never buy a car from there again. For that reason only. The car is great everything I wanted and more. Mods started with putting on my private plate and then exhaust tyres upgraded straight away as my wife’s uses it frequently. Spacers-and then rock guards I’ve heard from both people who said that they have never had an issue with gravel rash and then those who have had to go through a repair because they have so for 20 I got them it was a no brainier ​​​​​.The centre console seemed a bit to much plastic so I went carbon fibre I love it my wife doesn’t it goes to show there’s no right or wrong it’s what is really right for you. Rear Wing GT 350 Shelby inspired the same as before I love it no issues I only had 3 pieces of chrome on the car which were to 2 fender 5.0 badges and the front emblem I purchased new oem black 5.0 badges and plasti dipped the front emblem ( I was told that one of the guys from here had an issue with the plasti dip failing quite quickly so I ceramic coated the badge I will let you know if it lasts or fails

And in my opinion the very first mod should be Jacking rails I forgot to mention that

Comment

Great write up, i was thinking of doing something similar but wanted to avoid the "bragging about your own car" and give sensible information and facts which you have done admirably. One thing could be if a list of suppliers to help other peeps if they wanted to do similar stuff? All experiences are helpful, well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
        Great write up, i was thinking of doing something similar but wanted to avoid the "bragging about your own car" and give sensible information and facts which you have done admirably. One thing could be if a list of suppliers to help other peeps if they wanted to do similar stuff? All experiences are helpful, well done.
        In the name of Odin please do ​​​​​​ and thank you for your kind words. It will be great if everyone does it can save time money and is so interesting to everyone who is on the forum i hope. I’m certainly interested in everything mustang .

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
          And in the name of Freya pictures to please

Comment

Well I have two Mustang, a 65 and a 2010 S197. I think the journey with the newer car is completely different to the older car. With the new car there are warranty issues and/or the fear of finding something expensive wrong. On the S197 the main expense has been a seized aircon pump and replacement of the aircon condenser. On the modification side I lowered it with the spring kit and also fitted stronger lower control arms and stronger rear lower control/radius arms. Touch wood its been going fine now. The old car is a bit of a different ting. When buying one I think the fear is not to buy one that turns out to be as rotten as a pear or having other serious issues. Apart from that there is then the issue of making them safe for modern roads. Mine had un-power assisted drum brakes when new which were not fun to drive. They also can have a tendency to overheat in traffic. Fitting power disc brakes and a good ali radiator has made the car better to drive. Also there are some suspension mods that improve the driving experience and road holding. Its also possible to do some performance upgrades to the engine that improve efficiency and make the car faster.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	mustangs 002.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	533.7 KB
ID:	1249118
            Allan

Comment

Originally posted by ALLAN R View Post
              Well I have two Mustang, a 65 and a 2010 S197. I think the journey with the newer car is completely different to the older car. With the new car there are warranty issues and/or the fear of finding something expensive wrong. On the S197 the main expense has been a seized aircon pump and replacement of the aircon condenser. On the modification side I lowered it with the spring kit and also fitted stronger lower control arms and stronger rear lower control/radius arms. Touch wood its been going fine now. The old car is a bit of a different ting. When buying one I think the fear is not to buy one that turns out to be as rotten as a pear or having other serious issues. Apart from that there is then the issue of making them safe for modern roads. Mine had un-power assisted drum brakes when new which were not fun to drive. They also can have a tendency to overheat in traffic. Fitting power disc brakes and a good ali radiator has made the car better to drive. Also there are some suspension mods that improve the driving experience and road holding. Its also possible to do some performance upgrades to the engine that improve efficiency and make the car faster.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	mustangs 002.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	533.7 KB
ID:	1249118
              Absolutely beautiful cars Alan and great info about your classic there’s a couple I know who have had similar issues with over heating. She who must be obeyed has said we should have a classic as well so I’m sure we will be lol probably not this year just with all the uncertainty about the economy. But when I do I will probably be looking for something that has had the same upgrades you have done ​​​​​​ Thanks again for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by JBGT50 View Post
                Absolutely beautiful cars Alan and great info about your classic there’s a couple I know who have had similar issues with over heating. She who must be obeyed has said we should have a classic as well so I’m sure we will be lol probably not this year just with all the uncertainty about the economy. But when I do I will probably be looking for something that has had the same upgrades you have done ​​​​​​ Thanks again for sharing.
                I don't think that these classic cars suffer too much from the vagaries of the economy. They are not top end and not bottom end. Plus being American appeal to a dedicated group of people who, I think, if they want one will find the money. The classics are also very simple cars to work on and spares are fully available and not stupid expensive so actually an easy car to own. Its also fun to do your own modifications if you are at all mechanically minded.
                Allan

Comment

Originally posted by ALLAN R View Post

I don't think that these classic cars suffer too much from the vagaries of the economy. They are not top end and not bottom end. Plus being American appeal to a dedicated group of people who, I think, if they want one will find the money. The classics are also very simple cars to work on and spares are fully available and not stupid expensive so actually an easy car to own. Its also fun to do your own modifications if you are at all mechanically minded.
                  Yes very true ​​​​​​ It’s more an issue with the security of employment should we hit a recession. I’m fairly sure that if anything were to happen with my current employer I would be able to find work as I am lucky enough to have all of my tickets for heavy plant however if I did find myself being a mobile contractor again then you are very seldom close to home and longer hours on sites and travel and weekends so wouldn’t be able to enjoy it as much as would warrant the expense until things levelled out. But it’s all supposition at the moment so remaining positive but just going to suck it and see for the next 18 months before making a decision Absolutely love ​​​​​your cars mate ​​​​​​ please feel free to post some more pictures please

Comment

Working...
                  X