Clear All

fire

Anybody on here fire just been put out

Ouch this is why I always carry two fire extinguishers
    07 Cali special
    68 fastback
    75 grannycoupev8

Comment

I have seen a post on Facebook and apparently a lot of money spent on doing the car up - All classic owners need to have at least one fire extinguisher in the car and don't forget as a MOCGB members we do have an offer on a fire extinguisher with https://www.glossfireaction.co.uk further details in the club magazine.
      Editor Round Up
      2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6.4 Hemi Yellow Jacket
      2011 ROUSH Stage 2 Mustang
      1964.5 Vintage Burgundy 164hp 260ci V8 Convertible

Comment

Awful. So much time and effort on a lovely car gone up in flames in a short time no doubt. Members need to also be aware that powder extinguishers cause a lot of damage if used. A Fire Safety Stick from www.glossfireaction.co.uk does not cause damage - and small enough to go in a glove compartment as being in the boot isn't ideal. Have a look at the website.

Comment

I saw this last night, wake up call I needed, just ordered 2 of the fire safety sticks and one of the posters mentioned that it was possibly the fuel lines eroding due to modern petrol, does anyone know for sure?
          1969 302 Fastback

Comment

Fire stick seems to be pretty good BUT you would be a brave (foolish) person to open the bonnet when your engine is on fire.
            One part of my fuel line looks original looks ok to me, think I might change it though.
            It's a real shame to see such a lovely car in its current state, feel sorry for the owner.

Comment

With the Fire Stick you could put it under the engine and step back. You'd have a good chance the product would form a cloud and engulf the flames. A normal extinguisher can't be 'left on' to do its job as far as I know? Yes if the fire is raging I wouldn't want to open the bonnet, but if it appear's a small burn with smoke, I probably would attempt it. Brake fluid can burn slowly after dripping on manifolds or exhaust and a lot of people don't realise its a very flammable liquid.

Comment

That's horrible. I would say that the two most likely causes of fire are either a fuel line or electric. If you have a fire under the bonnet I would crack open the bonnet and stick the fire extinguisher in. It happened years ago to me with my 1600E Cortina where the fuel line split. I stuck the extinguisher under the front of the bonnet and one quick squirt put the lot out with the only real damage being the paint on the bonnet. Definitely get a fire extinguisher and I would also say a battery isolating switch so if you see smoke coming out from the dash or somewhere you can dive out and turn the battery off, hopefully before the fire really catches.
                Allan

Comment

Same thing I presume https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eese...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Timely as I've only just recently ordered a replacement extinguisher, always used to keep one in the Mustang then had a fire in Daily Driver a few years ago, was not far from home when car started to smoke, got it home and onto driveway, opened bonnet to flames and grabbed the one from the Mustang to put it out - keep forgetting to buy a replacement for the Mustang.

NOTE: In hindsight should have let the DD burn as insurance would have paid out if it had burnt to a crisp, extinguished they wouldn't cover it as the source of the fire was identified as "mechanical damage" (bolt holding camshaft came loose and camshaft punched it out through the front of the block spilling oil onto exhaust) which was excluded from cover.

'99 Bright Atlantic Blue Convertible (Stock) & '67 Acapulco Blue Fastback (393 Stroker)
                    http://www.67mustang.co.uk

Comment

WHAT??????
                      Originally posted by mike67fb View Post
                      NOTE: In hindsight should have let the DD burn as insurance would have paid out if it had burnt to a crisp, extinguished they wouldn't cover it as the source of the fire was identified as "mechanical damage" (bolt holding camshaft came loose and camshaft punched it out through the front of the block spilling oil onto exhaust) which was excluded from cover.

I am gobsmacked
                      Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                      We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Originally posted by pmustang View Post
                        WHAT?????? I am gobsmacked
                        Yep, vauxhalls of a certain age are notorious for loose camshaft bolts due to incorrect torque applied in factory (just search "vauxhall loose cam bolts" and you'll see the endless threads) most people end up with snapped camshafts, I was just unlucky for a single bolt to come completely free and rattle itself loose and drop into the path of the camshaft that punched it out the front of the cylinder head.

Insurance policy included "Loss or damage to the car by fire or theft", but also specifically excluded "Loss or damage caused by any mechanical, electrical, electronic computer or computer software failures, breakdowns, faults or breakages."

Which I guess is fair enough as you wouldn't expect insurance to cover mechanical repairs, if the camshaft snapped you wouldn't expect insurance to pay out.

Speaking to the insurance inspector, if the car had properly burnt to a crisp then it would have been classified as loss by fire and they wouldn't really care about the source of the fire, but because I extinguished the fire before any major damage was done (just a few singed wires/pipes) then ultimately its not considered damage by fire but simply a mechanical breakdown as in theory all the car needed was a new cylinder head + replacement of damaged pipes/wires.

Back on topic, hope the owner of the Mustang is OK and their insurance pays out.

Definitely pays to regularly check fuel lines, I replaced some of mine this year as spotted a few cracks in the rubber pipe from filter to carb and just not worth the risk.

The other thing is to avoid glass fuel filters like the plague. I know of at least one club member who had a fire caused by one leaking and I found a crack in mine when I had one fitted, came off pronto and would never fit one again!

'99 Bright Atlantic Blue Convertible (Stock) & '67 Acapulco Blue Fastback (393 Stroker)
                        http://www.67mustang.co.uk

Comment

Scary stuff... Just bought a Fire Stick!

Comment

Originally posted by Anaconda View Post
                            Yep I have a couple of these from Firetool. I bought mine at the Autosport show a couple of years back. They are single use and unlike powder extinguishers leave no residue.
                            http://www.firetool.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                            X