Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding recommendations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Welding recommendations

    Hi all!
    Looking to replace the outer wheel housing, full side panel (runs from behind door and over wheel arch) and part of the outer sill. Got the panels, just need them fitted! Any recommendations, don't mind travelling, just don't want to pay London prices!
    Cheers!
    sig pic

    #2
    What car is it on, will you need the joins filling, will you need it painting?
    I presume you mean the outer quarter panel?
    Forgot to ask does the panel join on the roof pillar or on the sewage line?
    Hard to get a price as the chances are as soon as the old panel is cut off more rust will be uncovered.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Anaconda View Post
      What car is it on, will you need the joins filling, will you need it painting?
      I presume you mean the outer quarter panel?
      Forgot to ask does the panel join on the roof pillar or on the sewage line?
      Hard to get a price as the chances are as soon as the old panel is cut off more rust will be uncovered.
      Sounds like a smelly job to me.......
      sigpic
      You can never have enough black under the hood.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by cobraboy View Post

        Sounds like a smelly job to me.......
        Stupid phones, who said technology improves your life!
        Obviously to a person I meant swage line, shame my phone thinks otherwise, atleast it keeps us all amused.

        Comment


          #5
          Dave,I've got the same issues in Gloucester,all the good ones are booked up until well into next year.I want my 71 Mach 1 on the road for its 50th Birthday at the end of September,I can't see that happening

          Comment


            #6
            Good welders are hard to come by which is why I took a welding course so I am now passably bad for lots of jobs.

            Comment


              #7
              You are doing well if you can get bodyshop rates at less than 50 an hour.
              You could buy a welder and reach yourself for the price of having a new quarter panel fitted to your car I should imagine.
              Mind you that is talking down the job a bit as the new panels are bound not to fit and further work will be needed.
              Our of interest what prices have you been quoted?

              Comment


                #8
                I took the same approach and bought a welder after being quoted the price of a small south Asian island and the pleasure of waiting 6 months!! still for a welder I make a damn good grinder!

                it’s practice practice........ad infinitum.....

                Comment


                  #9
                  Thanks for the input guys.
                  Outer skin goes up to swage line, but I would only want replaced as needed - if you know what I mean! Would like to keep as much good, original metal as poss.
                  I can basic weld, but where car is kept now, I can't get to electric supply.
                  Am slightly concerned that the cost of repairs may outweigh the value of the car............
                  sig pic

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by dave waddell View Post
                    Thanks for the input guys.
                    Outer skin goes up to swage line, but I would only want replaced as needed - if you know what I mean! Would like to keep as much good, original metal as poss.
                    I can basic weld, but where car is kept now, I can't get to electric supply.
                    Am slightly concerned that the cost of repairs may outweigh the value of the car............
                    Can't see the cost of welding a panel on is more than the value of the car. With regards to fitting the least amount of panel, I have pondered this, if the front lower bottom of the panel is rusted out the chances are the rear lower section is also on it way out sometime in the near future leaving you to do the job twice. I would replace the complete panel up to the swage line on my car, Unless its a completely original car I doubt the amount of panel you weld in will have any impact on its value.
                    I can get a price for you but we are down to 1 panel beater at the moment so a time frame would be almost impossible to give and you would need to be 100% confident there would be no extra work to be able to get a accurate quote.
                    Strangely we are busy but running at less than 50% capacity, Yes I know that doesn't make much sense.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Anaconda View Post

                      Can't see the cost of welding a panel on is more than the value of the car. With regards to fitting the least amount of panel, I have pondered this, if the front lower bottom of the panel is rusted out the chances are the rear lower section is also on it way out sometime in the near future leaving you to do the job twice. I would replace the complete panel up to the swage line on my car, Unless its a completely original car I doubt the amount of panel you weld in will have any impact on its value.
                      I can get a price for you but we are down to 1 panel beater at the moment so a time frame would be almost impossible to give and you would need to be 100% confident there would be no extra work to be able to get a accurate quote.
                      Strangely we are busy but running at less than 50% capacity, Yes I know that doesn't make much sense.
                      Thanks for the reply. Definitely not an original car!! I was really just after a "ballpark" figure for the work! Last time I had a car welded was back in 1980, putting a a patch under my Mk 2 Zephyr - 30
                      so I really have no idea - hundreds, thousands?!!
                      Fully understand that any extra work needed would be on top of initial quote - like I said I just need a rough idea. Looks ok, but could not be 100% sure some other work could be needed.
                      It was actually replacement of the outer wheel housing, 12 inches of sill and the outer panel I would need. That would get rid of most of the rot as far as I can see. Just the fitting of the metal work if poss - I would like to finish off filling, painting etc myself.
                      Only back at work for two days a week at the moment myself, so no rush at all for the work!!
                      Cheers!
                      sig pic

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Ball park figure is 400 + vat to cut off the panels and weld on a quarter panel ( up to the swage line) and half a sill panel.
                        Hope that helps.
                        Cheers, Dave

                        Comment


                          #13
                          A couple of things to consider - I must have missed what car this is for, but if it's a '67/8 you might struggle to go only half way along the sill as the repro panels these days seem to be a very different profile to the originals. This would make a join very tricky indeed. You might be better off replacing the entire sill, but that will get you in amongst all the rot at the front end, too, and the A-post and footbox area... I replaced the rear quarters on my car ('68 FB), and the weld just below the swage line is very, very difficult to keep from distorting. It's extremely long and unsupported - not one to learn on. That weld alone took me a whole day, a spot at a time to keep things cool.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Just had the rear quarter, outer inner arch and boot drop section replaced on my 67 Coupe.

                            22 hours at 40PH (I supplied the panels) not including paint.

                            Somewhere around 1000-1500 is what I imagine it will cost for a good repair that doesn’t look like it was painted by Jackson Pollock

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Dave,you could open up a whole can of worms.In 2010 I thought I'd rub down the rust bubbles around the rear lamps,this lead to this https://www.facebook.com/steve.charl...2778838&type=3 I had to cut out all the rear panels and then prepared it to be welded.I then had find a welder,I found a mobile one who welded it at 30-35 per hour (lots of them!!) and finally into a body shop for the paint that got finished earlier this year!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X