Discovering new "toys"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discovering new "toys"

I have had my car just over 6 months and just by chance discovered something new. I was searching on various sites and came across a Ford article about storage in the Mustang. It mentioned a compartment in the glove box that will hold the handbook. Lo and behold there is one - a yellow lever releases it and it drops down and is just the right size for the handbook. Ironically, I can't find any reference to it in the handbook !

The other item is that tucked away in the LHS of the boot is some component that I have no idea what it is - I found it as I was replacing the boot liner. It is clearly quite exposed and looks to be at risk of being damaged by items in the boot. Does anyone know what this is, and is it vulnerable to damage ?

I had the boot liner out as a cyclist came around a bend on the wrong side of road and so I braked very sharply and the takeaway got thrown about.........

So - have any other members "found" a feature that the rest of us may not be aware of ?

Originally posted by JPJH View Post
    I have had my car just over 6 months and just by chance discovered something new. I was searching on various sites and came across a Ford article about storage in the Mustang. It mentioned a compartment in the glove box that will hold the handbook. Lo and behold there is one - a yellow lever releases it and it drops down and is just the right size for the handbook. Ironically, I can't find any reference to it in the handbook !

The other item is that tucked away in the LHS of the boot is some component that I have no idea what it is - I found it as I was replacing the boot liner. It is clearly quite exposed and looks to be at risk of being damaged by items in the boot. Does anyone know what this is, and is it vulnerable to damage ?

I had the boot liner out as a cyclist came around a bend on the wrong side of road and so I braked very sharply and the takeaway got thrown about.........

So - have any other members "found" a feature that the rest of us may not be aware of ?
    Post a picture?

Comment

I doubt the dash can would have got the cyclist???
      2013-2016 2005 S197 V6 Coupe Black
      2017-2018 2007 S197 GT Coupe Tungsten
      2019-Current 2005 S197 GT Convertible Black

Comment

Of the component he’s enquiring about.

Comment

It sounds like he might be referring to the emergency tyre kit but I’m not sure by the information as it could be something else

Comment

Originally posted by JBGT50 View Post
            Of the component he’s enquiring about.
            I was joking!

Comment

I will see about posting a picture about the component in the LHS depth of the boot. There is a wire or cable to it.

I found something else today - to the top left of the speedo was a letter E. Never seen that before - then it changed to NW and then N - so it must be a basic compass !!! Not quite certain what use that would be though.

Comment

The compass was built into some s197 rear view mirrors

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boot component.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1253232

This is the component in the LHS side of the boot - what is it and is it vulnerable to damage ? .

Comment

So - does no one know what the component is in the boot - I am concerned it could be damaged by something stray in the boot.

I am still finding my way around the information displays. When I collected the car from the dealers last Monday, instead of the trip computer being displayed, there was a list of inlet air temp, cyl head temp, voltage etc. showing. I switched it back to the trip meter with help from the handbook.. So, today I had a look at this menu and you can get 3 small dials displayed that show inlet air temp, cyl head temp and air fuel ratio. I also saw on a forum a picture of the rev counter showing the revs numerically in the centre, so have switched the display to that as opposed to the gear you are in. I managed to replace this with a compass at one point, but can't see that would be of much use.

Something else I chanced upon the other week is the funnel located under the boot carpet that is used for filling with petrol from a can. Now that could be useful given the thirst of the beast ! I saw that in the manual, but had missed it for 6 months.

I guess there is a lot more to discover.

Comment

Modern cars are so complicated, much of the stuff being of very little use. Get a classic, all you have to worry about is what heater control does what!

Comment

My 2014 s197 has the compass in the bottom left of the Shaker radio display.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0554.JPG Views:	0 Size:	983.0 KB ID:	1253406

And on the underside of the Armrest /storage box lid is a clip for Cards on the left (it even tells you) and another clip on the right for pens or other similar obects, as it's not labelled

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0161.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	1253407

And a remote garage door opener on the Drivers sun blind and a widget under the screw on the passenger sunblind to fit another widget that holds sunglasses (widget unused in glovebox)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21698.png
Views:	46
Size:	918.8 KB
ID:	1253410

Last edited by mad4v8; 20-09-2020, 03:03 PM.
                        Stuart
                        2014 GT/CS

Comment

Working...
                        X