Admin Fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Admin Fees

So who here has paid an Admin Fee for buying their motor ? Any of you ? Or do you walk away - choose the next dealer / trader who doesn't ?

I drove 200 miles to see mine and was asked for this compulsory Admin Fee. The price on the car was right and to be honest, the extra 100 was more of a principle issue than an outright "I can't afford that". Not on the price I was paying.

So we get into the detail of all these add ons - paint protection, GAP insurance, etc etc and the only compulsory one of the page of optionals was this 100 admin fee.

So I ask what is this for ? It apparently is for the V5C transfer of title, HPi checks, the administration behind the motor. All of the stuff that isn't metal based.

I respond that I am not paying it as you should be recouping it from the sticker price, not artificially deflating your advertised price and then sting the customer for it when they arrive. The dealer said this was not an option - it is compulsory and he said he told me on the phone the previous evening that there was this 100 fee.

I know now what you guys are now thinking - I was told 12 hours prior that there was this fee and I still went to see the car, 200 miles away, with that knowledge. What a fool! It's all a bit late!!

But what the dealer didn't know - I had a game plan.

I threw the law at them. If they proceeded down this route to charge me the 100, which is classed as deceit and is illegal, because it is not within the sticker price, I would have no hesitation to call in Trading Standards.

Wow!! Have you ever seen a sales area hop around as if there is a fire in the building before ? That certainly made a few people leap about. Erm , a lot of people. They were in full knowledge that they are breaking the law but continued on regardless. Yet they masqueraded that they were blind to this and never seen this before.

The issue is that there is a dealer network in SW England that has made half a million from Admin Fees which is just sheer profit. There is no cost to the stuff that this dealer was telling me there would be and it should all be in the sticker / advertised price. That is the dealer margin. You don't go to Tescos / Morrisons and get to the till, the lady there says that for the till roll, her chair and the wear and tear on the cash machine, could they have another tenner!!

So a bit of guidance for you - don't pay the Admin Fee, even if you contemplated it and if you like the vehicle, it is the right condition and price, don't walk away to try to find something just as nice somewhere else. That's just wasting your time. Threaten them with the law. You will find that any trader worth their salt in their knowledge will know that a Trading Standards investigation is not actually what they need and the 99.9% chance is that you'll buy your favoured motor without the fee. Saves the aggravation in trying to find another motor when you set your heart on this one - just that the fee was an obstacle.
    Last edited by Daz-RSK; 28-10-2020, 07:25 PM.

Is it actually illegal? Many places charge a admin fee for this or that and they told you you would be charged it.
    Saying that I imagine that many places just stick in their profit and therefore asking price. At the end of the day I see loads of S550's for sale so they should be pleased they sold it never mind adding a admin fee on top.

Comment

I HATE THE FEES. You should see the fees in America. ADMU: Added dealer markup (not making this up) Dealer fee, document fee, floor plan fee (floor pan is the dealers own finance for the cars on the lot) To me their should be a markup in the cars price and that covers expenses. Not a whole dog and pony show to fleece you out of more money, And lets not forget the added 1/2 of a percent they add to the bank fee they got for you. Oh Mr so and so, we got your 5 1/4 percent, No what they got is 4 3/4 perfect and stinging you for the extra 1/2 a percent. Then there is hold back, the amount they get per car back from the supplier depending upon how many units sold that month.
      Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
      We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

There should be plenty of meat still on the bone for them to absorb admin fees. 50 grand for these cars is bonkers. I know it's hard to directly compare prices of the same car in the USA but they do look substantially cheaper over there- maybe partly explaining all the extra fees added on?? Bit like renting a car over there looks cheap till they add on all extra charges.

Comment

Originally posted by Anaconda View Post
          Is it actually illegal? Many places charge a admin fee for this or that and they told you you would be charged it.
          Saying that I imagine that many places just stick in their profit and therefore asking price. At the end of the day I see loads of S550's for sale so they should be pleased they sold it never mind adding a admin fee on top.
          Yeap! It is deceit and it contravenes the Unfair Trading Act 2008. The loophole though is the optional piece. It should be optional and you should not have the situation where you negotiated on the car the price you pay and then all of these compulsory fees are wheeled out. It should be left to your discretion. The issue here is that most won't pay, so they veil it as not optional.

If you want a bedtime read, here is the law.

https://www.businesscompanion.info/s...%20reduced.pdf

I wouldn't read into loads of S550s advertised for sale either. They are mostly sold. Took me 4 months to find one that was not sold. The 8/9 x S550s before this one came along were advertised but sold before being advertised. One dealer had 4 people in the queue ahead of me for one Mustang.

Comment

On a personal note I find it off-putting to be honest, as it just feels mildly underhand (IMO). When I was looking for an Astra I decided to pop into Car Giant, the fact that most of their "1 owner" cars were actually ex rental cars (so probably have had more different drivers with less driving "care" than most will see in their lifetime) plus the 199 admin fee and I didn't even bother to test drive the car I'd gone to see. Shame as it was probably fine for what I needed but if I already feel they're misleading me I will tend to walk away. Just a bit of honesty is needed sometimes.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X