Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

69 Mustang mystery

Hi All,

I've spotted this 1969 Mustang fastback up for auction soon, however something weird is going on with the vin number. Both the chassis number, engine number and V5 record the car as a 1972, yet it's clearly a 1969 car. The car has been in the UK since 1980 and I know lost of skulduggery took place in the 70s when these cars were worth very little.

Do you think this car is a 1972 Mustang with a 1969 body shell and it's been cobbled together?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

https://www.brightwellslive.com/lot/details/495068

1969 Mustang Mach 1 M code
    1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Nope, it's a 69 with a 72 chassis number hence the low estimate.

Comment

So it would have had a 1972 chassis number from the factory?

Comment

Either someone has made a mistake with the paperwork or deliberately changed it for a newer vin. Funny really as it would be worth more as the original car.
        Doubt you could prove the originality of the car but should be able to prove what type/year it is.

Comment

Basically looks like hassle whichever way. If you pursue it, then you need to look at the car to see what numbers are actually on it, on the dash top and on plate/sticker on rear of drivers door. See if they match the log book except for the 1st digit which would be a 9 if 69 car. Also, check vin number if has one on the engine block and see if it matches the other numbers on the car where i said.
          Last edited by INDY 500; 01-11-2020, 11:32 AM.

Comment

The V reg shouldnt worry you, as cars imported to the UK until at least 1981 received a 'brand new' registration letter (it might have gone on longer I'm not sure when the DVLA started with an age related reg.). For example I had a '69 on an 'M' reg because it arrived in 1973, and still own my '65 with a 'D' plate because it arrived here in '66. A recent MOCGB instagram post identified my car as a '66. I presume because of the reg. letter. So the fact that this car has a 'V' is simply explained because it came here in 1980. The vin number is more of a worry. A more detailed look is needed on that score. Maybe there is an honest explanation to that one, maybe not. The door plate doesnt mean much,as the complete door could have come from another car. But not a '72 !!.
            '65 Fb,'65 Cp,'69 Z code

Comment

Maybe the car came in with some others imported by the same person. If one of those others was a 72 mustang then it's not inconceivable they were all registered together then the most junior kid in the shop was tasked with screwing a handful of plates on the cars........ I know that similar has happened with a bunch of ex MOD landrovers.

V reg was around 1980 so this car would already be in the age range where most 10 year olds were rusty bangers and very few people had any interest in numbers back then, just wanted a f*nny magnet

If the correct numbers are to be found then it may be a simple job to get changed OR it could be a major can of worms, do you feel lucky.

Comment

It odd because the vin number on the chassis is from 1972, it's: 2F05H144008. However the engine number is from 1968.

Comment

When you say vin number on chassis where are you looking?...Engine could obviously have been changed, are you looking at date coded areas of the engine or an actual vin number? Car could have been built in the later months of 68 for 69 and so 68 engine would not be unusual if that was the case. The recognised vin no location for the car is on top of the dash drivers side, would be unusual/suspect for the same vin number not to be on the rear of the door either on a metal plate or sticker. If someone changed a door would be unlikely they would not transfer this information because it identifies what the car is. If you cannot sort this out or are not confident then leave well alone. If not a simple paperwork error car may have been stolen, badly wrecked and or had identity used from another car. No way a 69 car would be stamped as a 72.

Comment

Currently reached 13,200 after 16 bids on Brightwell’s site. 7 hours to go! Worth a punt anyone? Surely if it were a stolen vehicle as has been suggested it might be, Brightwell wouldn’t have touched it with the proverbial?
                    Last edited by mick the hat; 05-11-2020, 01:46 PM.
                    . Cars, photos, wine. What else is there?

Comment

Finally went for 15,853. Odd figure. I couldn’t see what Brightwell charges for buyers premium though?
                      . Cars, photos, wine. What else is there?

Comment

Auction house just sells the car. They aren’t liable for issues with the car. They said it has a VIN issue. That’s enough to tell me to watch and not bid.

Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                        We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

The car didn't make reserve so it's for sale for 17,755. I'd say that's a bit step for a 69/72 Mustang.

https://www.brightwells.com/lot-details/495068

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_B View Post
                            The car didn't make reserve so it's for sale for 17,755. I'd say that's a bit step for a 69/72 Mustang.

https://www.brightwells.com/lot-details/495068
                            Not if it’s a genuine 69.
                            If I was looking for a 69, I’d be over there like A shot looking at the buck tag and pulling thefender back to check the VIN stamp if I was in the market for a 69
                            sigpic
                            Mind if I adjust your shift stick?

Comment

Working...
                            X