Mishimoto Race Axle Back - Legality Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mishimoto Race Axle Back - Legality Q

Hello, after much dither and delay (and researched opinions), have finally purchased my first mod - the Mishimoto Race Axle Back with black tips. I wanted a more aggressive tone over just the resonator delete. Now I know muffler deletes are legal, as long as they stay within noise limits. Has anyone here had problems getting through an MOT with a similar system? Apparently noise levels are now observed during MOTs and are largely down to operator discretion. Any advice would be great, thanks!
    2018 Mustang GT Auto Custom

I have modified every exhaust on every car I have had (except my Focus). Copied this from the Gov website.
    "It’s illegal to modify the exhaust system to make a vehicle noisier after it has been ‘type approved’ (checked it meets environmental and safety standards).

The police can also take action if your vehicle’s silencer doesn’t work in the way it was designed or if you’re driving in a way that creates too much noise"

Really by the sounds (get it?) of it you can't modify your exhaust system as it will no longer be type approved.
    With regards to MOT my S197 had no silencers and the MOT man loved it, doubt you will have a problem unless you go looking for one. Might be best to keep all your old parts just to be on the safe side.

Comment

Pick the right Mot garage that aren't anal over everything and you'll be fine

Comment

Thanks both. I doubt anyone will have the resolve to pull out a decibel recorder, but you never know. I'm retaining the factory resonator anyway, so that will curb some of the excess volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordonly_410 View Post
          Thanks both. I doubt anyone will have the resolve to pull out a decibel recorder, but you never know. I'm retaining the factory resonator anyway, so that will curb some of the excess volume.
          I’ve got a Corsa Extreme double X pipe and sports cats and upto yet it’s been the loudest I’ve seen at any meets etc ​​​​​​ and no issues with the Mot . The guy told me that it’s illegal for the exhaust to be blowing (not gas tight) and it’s illegal to remove the silencers but not illegal to use a sports system on the road provided it meets the emission requirements. You will have issues with taking the car on track as there’s a maximum DB for entry ​​​​​​. This was at the time of my last mot in June last year

Comment

Skip to 15.42seconds question answered by the old Bill

Comment

Mine is loud, fortunately my neighbours love the car too and are very acceptable! Never a problem with mot..and passes emissions fine

Comment

The Mishimoto system I plan to install once delivered, is a straight pipe rear silencer delete only - hence why some post purchase reflection came to the surface. I accept it's going to be loud, but hopefully not obnoxiously loud with the resonator still in place. I did read somewhere that a silencer still has to be in place somewhere on the system to remain road legal, presuming here leaving the resonator in place ticks this box? Lots of contradicting information!

Comment

Mine still has a silencer..the only thing the previous owner did was change the end cans with no muffling wodding inside..it has a deep burble sound which most random people compliment on when hearing it. It's never had a decibal reading.

Comment

Working...
                  X