So the Mustang is coming to the UK ......again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the Mustang is coming to the UK ......again

Just got todays copy of Auto Express, on pages 12 and 13 they state Ford US have stated officialy that the next model of Mustang due in 2014 will definitely be coming to the UK in right hand drive form to mark it's 50th anniversary. They go on to say that the new 2014 will be lighter and smaller than the current model and will get independent rear suspension. It goes on to say that the base engine will be the 2.5litre 4 cylinder ecoboost turbo rated at 300bhp, but there will be other models up to and including a 500bhp 5.4litre, all with six speed manual or curent auto box with torque vectoring (traction control ?)

Jost Capito states the new models wil be "a world car" and so will be available in Australia and Japan too.

My thoughts are...... as has been said before on this forum...... I would prefer the Mustang to stay as it is now,a rare beast on these shores, ie currently sold predominantly in the US, as I don't want to see every Tom ,Dick and Harry driving one down every high street in the UK.Even with the 4 cylinder,I'm thinking with this countrys over enthusiasm with taxing Co2, that it won't sell well here, even if by the 2011 models standards it is now deemed good enough to worry an M3 and the fit and finish are up to Euro standards.Just my thoughts.....

In the UK, Lets call it the new Capri...... (only joking)

It was here in January 2010 too:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=21403
    Last edited by GeoffW; 08-06-2011, 11:21 AM.
    1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
    2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
    2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

A number of us were invited to take part in a focus group and gave feedback in relation to Ford's plans.

They did share their intent that if a launch was going to happen, it would be done 'properly' with full support. Glad to see they don't appear to be going ahead with one of their engine options.

The question remains, how long would they officially be selling a RHD Mustang, given the very short lifespan of the Probe, Explore and Cougar. Also in mind is the impact to the current experts in selling Mustangs in the UK, can their service and value add that they provide give them sufficient abilities to compete with Ford.

The great thing, is that Marketing budgets will be available officially in the UK, and that means we may get support from Ford finacially for events.

Mark

Webmaster - Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain.
      1994 - Indy Pace Car 938/1000
      1995 - Cobra R 61/250

Comment

But that was speculation, this seems to be confirmation?
        Cardomain Site
        Colorado Stangs
        UnitedStangs

Full bolt ons and a Mongoose kit

Comment

Originally posted by 05-redfire-GT View Post
          I don't want to see every Tom ,Dick and Harry driving one down every high street in the UK.
          The Mustang Owners Club's coffers will be bulging if that happens, but won't 'Round Up' be boring?! ;))
          And I can only begin to imagine the reaction of some of the more militant classic Mustang owners when they start showing up at events.... :)):-"
          Andy

Mustang books, shirts, hats, wallets, key blanks, keyrings, decals, belts, buckles & lots more!:

eBay Store: Andy's Speed Shop Europe | facebook.com/mustangbooks

Comment

Might be able to eventually buy parts locally instead of importing stuff though :-?
            1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
            2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
            2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

It would make FAR more sense to restyle the Mustang into a Capri and sell it here. People would buy it where they won't necessarily buy a "Yank Mustang". BMW have proven that where a car is made is irrelevant (the Z4 used to be made in the US) as long as the car maintains its identity.

"New Capri" owners could then flick the V at VW Sciroccos which sold out on the original concept and all the other sell-out merchants.

However, I still think all these manufacturers grossly under-rate the tight-fistedness of modern buyers who simply won't pay vast amounts of VEL duty to own such a car. The VXR8 sold in tiny numbers and was being flogged off for 23k at the end. In addition, Pistonheads have threads underlining that big petrol engines are now a liability on the forecourt and people want low VEL vehicles, however they are powered to cut down the crippling cost of motoring.

Worth noting that even at 23k the VXR8s still sold relatively slowly.

If the Mustang really is going to be smaller, I see no reason why a modern restyle into a Capri would preclude smaller engines and diesels even without adversely affecting the Mustang heritage as the car was about style rather than advanced performance.

I'd still import one rather than pay the VEL though and I imagine the plan may still crash and burn when they see how the Camaro succeeds or fails (though I think that is staying LHD).

Comment

It would make the American shows like Billing interesting :-?
                When I used to go in my (UK) Jeep I would park in the public area as I didn't consider it qualified to park with the LHD cars.
                However, on entering I would come across rows of PT Cruisers (RHD) who's owners considered themselveves to be American car drivers.....

I pity the marshalls at these events trying to decide whether RHD (UK) Mustangs can park with the others.
                BTW, LHD Mustangs converted to RHD are still American in my opinion!
                2001 - Go not show!
                5.4 - 32v Cobra power...
                Hellion Twin 61mm Turbo's

Comment

Originally posted by 05-redfire-GT View Post
                  base engine will be the 2.5litre 4 cylinder ecoboost turbo
                  No. Just, no... :-q
                  2009 GT in Vista Blue; C&L CAI with Bama tune - Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust - Hawk Pads and Powerslot Discs - Strut Tower Brace - 8" Shorty Ariel

Comment

wont happen. the mustang officially sold in the UK once before and tanked. it was either the fox platform or the mustang II that was an official RHD UK model. didnt do too well then, wont do too well now.
                    1998 SVT Cobra
                    1989 Thunderbird Super Coupe

Comment

And when this happens what will occur with our car tax break?
                      Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                      We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Of course, they won't be "proper Mustangs".........

Comment

Originally posted by cobra_neill View Post
                          wont happen. the mustang officially sold in the UK once before and tanked. it was either the fox platform or the mustang II that was an official RHD UK model. didnt do too well then, wont do too well now.
                          That ws 30 years ago, and the landscape has changed considerably.
                          RHD tooling gives them, UK, Japan, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and a few other countries I forget.

I would n't suggest it won't happen, as from the people we spoke to atthat event, they appeared pretty confident it was likely to happen.

That aside, the whole cost, sales volumes and support is a big consideration to sales volumes.

Mark

Webmaster - Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain.
                          1994 - Indy Pace Car 938/1000
                          1995 - Cobra R 61/250

Comment

Originally posted by Webmaster View Post
                            That ws 30 years ago, and the landscape has changed considerably.
                            RHD tooling gives them, UK, Japan, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and a few other countries I forget.

I would n't suggest it won't happen, as from the people we spoke to atthat event, they appeared pretty confident it was likely to happen.

That aside, the whole cost, sales volumes and support is a big consideration to sales volumes.

Mark
                            all I'm thinking is that people who buy these cars to be different will move to other models, what with the reputation some american motors left on the UK buyers market I know a few people that wouldn't ever drive my higher spec, more optioned, faster, better looking Crown Victoria over their older Astra. All because the Vic was made in the USA/Canada. they wont even give it a chance, said person actually hired a toyota yaris to a night out instead of getting a lift from me in mine.

as far as a 4cyl mustang goes... been there done that, never again. haha.
                            1998 SVT Cobra
                            1989 Thunderbird Super Coupe

Comment

New Mustang?

They still make mustangs? who knew?:)

only kidding, takes the fun out of it if it is sold normally! the local Ford garage can't look after the Focus properly let alone a perfomance Ford!
                              Maverick

Comment

Working...
                              X