S197 New Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S197 New Battery

Well, I looked around the site but I couldn't find any details on a UK equivalent to the Motorcraft AZ BXT-96R battery that came in my 2008 4.6?
    It measures 230 x 170 x 170 and has 590 amp cold cranking.
    Any help would be much appreciated, mine has given up the ghost.
    Thanks,
    Andrew
    sigpic2008 Bullitt no. 0263. Brenspeed/Saleen stage 3 Supercharger, KR500s and MGW short shifter. Saleen (Stoptech) 14" front brakes with 20mm front wheel spacers, EBC grooved rear discs and stainless steel brake lines. GT500 front lower arms and top bushes, H&R camber bolts. BMR uprated panhard rod bracket and adjustable panhard rod. BMR adjustable LCAs with relocation brackets and polyeurethane top link bush. Eibach Pro Plus springs, Eibach anti-roll bars and Tokico Spec D dampers.

Try this Andrew:

http://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthre...l=1#post329936

Alternatively the battery for a 2001 - 2010 FWD Ford Transit battery will fit too.
    1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
    2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
    2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

Excellent! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
      Andrew
      sigpic2008 Bullitt no. 0263. Brenspeed/Saleen stage 3 Supercharger, KR500s and MGW short shifter. Saleen (Stoptech) 14" front brakes with 20mm front wheel spacers, EBC grooved rear discs and stainless steel brake lines. GT500 front lower arms and top bushes, H&R camber bolts. BMR uprated panhard rod bracket and adjustable panhard rod. BMR adjustable LCAs with relocation brackets and polyeurethane top link bush. Eibach Pro Plus springs, Eibach anti-roll bars and Tokico Spec D dampers.

Comment

http://www.s197.co.uk/s197/forum/php...battery#p61063

Comment

My battery is original and is now 8 years old and I thought I should change it due to its age but when I tested it after the car had been sitting for 6 hours it is showing 12.63V so it would appear to be fine. I will test it again after another 12 hours. I am not getting any issues just thought it's getting a bit old and maybe it would be wise to change it.

It is connected to a conditioner when not in use and water levels are OK. When they fail do they really just have a heart attack and die without warning. I have not bought a battery on any car since the 80's
          Chris

2006 GT Premium, Roush TVS 2300 Supercharged;

Comment

You're lucky, but if it still seems strong, don't replace it for a sake of it. The battery tender has been doing it's job, and there's no reason to suspect that should change now.

As you probably know, the S197 suffered from some unusual battery drain issues. When I first got mine, I didn't have a battery tender and it always started fine, even after being unused for a month at a time. Then, one day, xxxxxx all. Dead as a dodo. As I'd read about the issue, I didn't want to risk it, so a new battery and a Ctek tender were bought and it's been fine since.

Many claim the Shaker stereo continues to drain the charge if the head unit is NOT switched off before shutting down the car. I don't think that's ever been proved as conclusive, but then it there don't seem to be any more logical conclusions :)

Comment

My car is one of the rare ones with the anti tow/anti theft option pack installed and if that is activated the battery is dead in a week. However if I just lock it with the key it stays fine for weeks. I don't have the shaker.
              Chris

2006 GT Premium, Roush TVS 2300 Supercharged;

Comment

battery dimensions

My 2011 GTs battery failed when I left the car for 6 weeks with the Dash cam connected. I usually disconnect dash cam and GPS and turn radio off but for some reason didn't do so that time.

I was concerned at the height issues mentioned here and on other sites, but found this on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o01_s00

Virtually the same dimensions as the OEM part and works fine. Fitted to the car 2 hours before setting off for Le Mans and it functioned perfectly there and back.

Bought by virtue of dimensions and required output only, but was at a bargain price as well. Result.
                Last edited by Mykap; 25-06-2015, 08:44 AM.

Comment

After some research, it appears that the 40R batteries installed in Mustangs have no direct equivalent to European battery sizes. Especially the BXT-40R that was the most common fitments in the S197.

The closest physically would be the type 100 and 96 size batteries, but they won't lie completely flat against the battery tray as the try has angled edging and the widest battery that would sit completely flat against the battery tray will have to be no more than 270mm wide. As 100 and 96 sized batteries are 278mm, while they will physically go in, will not be lying flat against the surface of the battery tray, and instead be supported by the edges only. They're also slightly too high leaving very little clearance between bonnet and terminals.

the best size fit that will be most secure is a size 075 battery at 243 x 175 x175mm. This is not as wide, and the heat shield will be slightly too large, but the strap and securing backet will stil secure the battery properly.

I've just fitted a Bosch S5 size 075 battery in mine, after the original BXT 40R failed a couple of days ago.

Its 600 CCA and 61Ah rated.

I've never heard the engine crank so fast, not even when the original battery was new!
                  Last edited by pookeyhead; 21-07-2015, 12:19 PM.
                  2006 Mustang GT Premium
                  Manual
                  Tungsten
                  Pypes Pype Bomb Axle backs
                  C&L CAI & 98RON tune

Capel 2007
                  Capel 2008

Comment

After great advice on here, this is what was recommended to me and it fits snug into the tray

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Car-Ba.../dp/B005XVUCE0

Comment

May also be worth giving Mike at Modustangs a call. I saw a few dead ones at his place Saturday so guess he might have replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenGooner View Post
                        After great advice on here, this is what was recommended to me and it fits snug into the tray

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Car-Ba.../dp/B005XVUCE0
                        Yep.. that's what I got, but any 075 size battery will fit nicely. Not as wide, so the heat jacket is a bit lose, but a good secure fit, and zero risk of being supported only by the edges like a 096 or 100 size battery, and zero risk of touching the bonnet.

Just make sure it meets or exceeds the Ford spec of 590 CCA and 60Ah. Having said that, CCA is calculated as the maximum cranking amps supplied for 30 seconds at -18C. So in this country I reckon anything over 500 will probably "do", but the Bosch is 600 CCA, and has a 5 year warranty, which is why I chose that, and at 69 plus free delivery, a good price too.

Larry.. you didn't pay 97 for yours did you??
                        Last edited by pookeyhead; 21-07-2015, 06:28 PM.
                        2006 Mustang GT Premium
                        Manual
                        Tungsten
                        C&L CAI & 98RON tune

Capel 2007
                        Capel 2008

Comment

Larry.. you didn't pay 97 for yours did you??
                          Brought mine from a garage and they fitted it, and took the old one, much less hassle that way, think it was around 100 notes
                          Last edited by GoldenGooner; 21-07-2015, 09:27 PM.

Comment

On the US sites the heavy duty replacement is listed as a type 40R

Which is the same dimensions as this transit battery.

278W x 175D x 175H

Not checked the terminals are right way, but looks to be ok in the pictures

http://www.eurocarparts.com/mobile/e...d6c8b91&000020

15% off too at the moment with code EXTRA15

Probably best to measure up the bases though for fit.
                            Last edited by the stang; 21-07-2015, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the stang View Post
                              On the US sites the heavy duty replacement is listed as a type 40R

Which is the same dimensions as this transit battery.

278W x 175D x 175H

Not checked the terminals are right way, but looks to be ok in the pictures

http://www.eurocarparts.com/mobile/e...d6c8b91&000020

15% off too at the moment with code EXTRA15

Probably best to measure up the bases though for fit.

Yep.. that's a type 100 battery, and it is 278mm. The 40R is only 265mm across however... I just measured it. While the tray is 283mm across, it also has angled re-inforcements on the outside edges....

The area between the reinforcements is only 270mm across. I measured it.

A type 100 battery will appear to fit.. WILL fit, but it will not be sat flat upon the base of the battery tray... it will be supported by the edges only. It will clamp down OK and everything, but I'm not happy with having it supported by the edges only.

I've spent days measuring and weighing this up. IMO.. the type 75, while smaller is a safer replacement. While the type 100 is 175mm high, it sits a lot higher as a result of not meeting the base of the battery tray. It probably will not foul he bonnet upon closure, but it will be close. Not a risk I was willing to take.
                              Last edited by pookeyhead; 21-07-2015, 09:27 PM.
                              2006 Mustang GT Premium
                              Manual
                              Tungsten
                              C&L CAI & 98RON tune

Capel 2007
                              Capel 2008

Comment

Working...
                              X