I've just bought a private plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just bought a private plate

As title. Just bought a private plate...got email to say it will take up to 2 weeks to receive cert. of entitlement. Do I have to wait for that before I can transfer it to my car? What do I do then?

Cheers,
    Mark
    Driving the dream. '06 S197 and '71 Mach 1 Retro-mod

'06 - Bama Race V2 tune, Custom twin 4 inch Carbon tipped exhaust system, Stoptech Brake pads, Metallic Orange striping. Pypes stainless shorty headers, Magnaflow ceramic high-flow cats, Hotrod Cams (coming xmas '16), Prothane front, rear and drop link anti-roll bar poly bushes, Ford KR suspension with GT500 top mounts, Tein Htech Gold Lowering Springs, BMR rear Lower Control Arms. BAMA retune, MMD retro mirrors, engine parts hydro-dipped. Roush bonnet scoop, Lower front valance CDC spoiler, GT500 rear spoiler, California special side scoops, Rear quarter window slated vents, Ultra bright headlight, sidelight, foglight bulbs, Airaid Induction kit, Chrome underbonnet strut brace, GT Engine cover, Velocity 20 inch wheels,

When you get the 'Certificate of Entitlement' you submit an application to change the reg on your car to the new one you've bought. When that's completed you get notification that it is and a certificate entitling you to get number plates made for the new registration.
    1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
    2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
    2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffW View Post
      When you get the 'Certificate of Entitlement' you submit an application to change the reg on your car to the new one you've bought. When that's completed you get notification that it is and a certificate entitling you to get number plates made for the new registration.
      OK, cool, thank you, how long does all that usually take?

'06 - Bama Race V2 tune, Custom twin 4 inch Carbon tipped exhaust system, Stoptech Brake pads, Metallic Orange striping. Pypes stainless shorty headers, Magnaflow ceramic high-flow cats, Hotrod Cams (coming xmas '16), Prothane front, rear and drop link anti-roll bar poly bushes, Ford KR suspension with GT500 top mounts, Tein Htech Gold Lowering Springs, BMR rear Lower Control Arms. BAMA retune, MMD retro mirrors, engine parts hydro-dipped. Roush bonnet scoop, Lower front valance CDC spoiler, GT500 rear spoiler, California special side scoops, Rear quarter window slated vents, Ultra bright headlight, sidelight, foglight bulbs, Airaid Induction kit, Chrome underbonnet strut brace, GT Engine cover, Velocity 20 inch wheels,

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy-22 View Post
        https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehi...r-to-a-vehicle

Comment

Couple of weeks after submitting the application to change it. Unexpired tax is transferred from the old reg to the new reg at the same time.

You get a revised MOT also.

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

Couple of weeks after submitting the application to change it. Unexpired tax is transferred from the old reg to the new reg at the same time.

You get a revised MOT also.
            Great thanks chaps....looking forward to getting it on the car! Should go nicely with the USA style plate too.

Comment

Don't forget to notify your insurers of the reg number change at the time it does.

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

Don't forget to notify your insurers of the reg number change at the time it does.
                Yes the wife forgot to do this recently and works for MET. An embarrassing moment when they did a PNC to find out who owned her car when it needed moving as it came back as uninsured.

She had let them know before but didnt notify on the day of change.

Comment

Originally posted by the stang View Post
                  Yes the wife forgot to do this recently and works for MET. An embarrassing moment when they did a PNC to find out who owned her car when it needed moving as it came back as uninsured.

She had let them know before but didnt notify on the day of change.
                  will do cheers

Comment

As title. Just bought a private plate...got email to say it will take up to 2 weeks to receive cert. of entitlement. Do I have to wait for that before I can transfer it to my car? What do I do then?

Cheers,
                    Mark
                    Once you get the cert, use it to make the plates - it doesn't need to be assigned to a car to get plates made, you just need to prove entitlement to use the reg using the cert and some ID.

Might save you a little time, as if you have a way of checking the new number is registered ( Experian, DVLA database. etc etc ) you can put the plates on once you're sure its registered and have told your insurers.

Did a transfer a few months ago, took about 2 weeks once V750 was sent in.

You won't get a new tax disc or revised MOT in the post, just a new V5.

https://dvladigital.blog.gov.uk/2015...-registration/

"The vehicle registration certificate (V5C) with the replacement registration number and retention certificate is issued by post to the registered keeper on DVLA’s records. There will no longer be a replacement MOT certificate issued to the keeper as the original remains valid."

Richard
                    S197 Boss 302 bump steer kit for sale www.mocgb.net/forums/showthread.php?72886
                    S197 rear brake componants for sale www.mocgb.net/forums/showthread.php?73307
                    S197 dash cluster repair / upgrade www.mocgb.net/forums/showthread.php?68512
                    SN95 dash cluster repair / upgrade www.mocgb.net/forums/showthread.php?67883

Comment

Originally posted by turbo_terrific View Post
                      Once you get the cert, use it to make the plates - it doesn't need to be assigned to a car to get plates made, you just need to prove entitlement to use the reg using the cert and some ID.

Might save you a little time, as if you have a way of checking the new number is registered ( Experian, DVLA database. etc etc ) you can put the plates on once you're sure its registered and have told your insurers.

Did a transfer a few months ago, took about 2 weeks once V750 was sent in.

You won't get a new tax disc or revised MOT in the post, just a new V5.

https://dvladigital.blog.gov.uk/2015...-registration/

"The vehicle registration certificate (V5C) with the replacement registration number and retention certificate is issued by post to the registered keeper on DVLA’s records. There will no longer be a replacement MOT certificate issued to the keeper as the original remains valid."

Richard
                      OK Thank you. I want to get the same size plates so will probably need to look around for a place. I assume when the car goes in for MOT, they will have the new reg on the system despite what the cert says....?

Comment

It used to be quick when you could take paperwork into your local DVLA office. They gave you all relevant documents except V5 & tax disc. Obviously that no longer applies. When I did mine was able to drive car same day.
                        You may find on notifying insurance company they charge you a fee for updating paperwork. One of mine did other did not. Fee was £50 on one that did.

Comment

i'll ask then -what is the plate-

Comment

OK Thank you. I want to get the same size plates so will probably need to look around for a place. I assume when the car goes in for MOT, they will have the new reg on the system despite what the cert says....?
                            In theory, the new ( as of this year ) VOSA updated system will tie everything together, in that you could always MOT on a chassis number alone, so as reg plates can change, that has always been the constant regarding the database record. If you reg number doesn't show up, a tester creates a new record, adds the VIN and then it should recognise it, assuming the VIN was correct in the first instance.

I have seen many vehicles especially Mustangs where the Z is recorded as a 2 - the RHD one for sale for 50k as an example has such a typo on the chassis number listed on the V5. How frequently things like this get checked and corrected? Dunno :-/

Taking older MOT certs and explaining the change won't hurt. The tester tests a vehicle 'as presented' and thats what goes on your new cert.

Between April and August this year a new system is being introduced and it's web based rather than a propriatary closed loop system with a modem to phone home as was....there have been some rumblings they are going to start using iPads or similar to do the tests. It's being phased through accross the UK to avoid issues, but annoyingly the 'phasing' is only staggered between companies and not those companies' own multiple sites, ie: we have to change over 70 sites like flicking a switch in 1 day, as opposed to 1 per day for 3 months sort of thing.

There may well be days where you'll want to avoid the likes of KwikFit et al for MOT's if this rollout goes as well as other government projects.

We go live in July, I'll be getting tests on a couple of cars a few weeks prior to the 11 month window just in case!

Richard
                            S197 Boss 302 bump steer kit for sale www.mocgb.net/forums/showthread.php?72886
                            S197 rear brake componants for sale www.mocgb.net/forums/showthread.php?73307
                            S197 dash cluster repair / upgrade www.mocgb.net/forums/showthread.php?68512
                            SN95 dash cluster repair / upgrade www.mocgb.net/forums/showthread.php?67883

Comment

Originally posted by gt.phil View Post
                              i'll ask then -what is the plate-
                              LOL, I wondered if someone would.

V8 VBO

Will look like
                              V8
                              V8O

£399 all inc. from DVLA

Comment

Working...
                              X