Fast Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fast Advice Please

Someone is coming to view my car on Sunday from 100 miles away - i advised that i would need cash as payment- he mentioned bank transfer - i said that would be impossible if the banks are closed (although i do have a card reader for my cards online) - he seems reluctant to bring this much cash - am i making a mistake here, or is there an easier way to accomplish this safely- or do i ring back and insist on cash if he wants to drive the car away ??

A bank transfer online can be done 24hrs a day 7 days a week. Normally in the recipients account within 2 hours.
    1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
    2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
    2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Snowey View Post
      Someone is coming to view my car on Sunday from 100 miles away - i advised that i would need cash as payment- he mentioned bank transfer - i said that would be impossible if the banks are closed (although i do have a card reader for my cards online) - he seems reluctant to bring this much cash - am i making a mistake here, or is there an easier way to accomplish this safely- or do i ring back and insist on cash if he wants to drive the car away ??
      Wow Geoff that was quick.....any clues as to how i would do that please

Comment

You don't do anything, he transfers the cash (either online or via phone) then you just check your balance, once the funds arrive give him the keys.
        Standard practice when buying cars, saves dealing with counterfeit cash or bouncing cheques.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowey View Post
          Wow Geoff that was quick.....any clues as to how i would do that please
          As Dan said.

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

You can do a transfer up to 25,000 via online banking (some banks have a higher limit) the main problem is that the payment could still turned out to be fraudulent and claimed back even once it is in your account. You can take some extra measures to identify the person buying the car and if they are genuine I am sure they would not mind e.g.asked to see a passport or photo I/D plus a recent utility/credit card bill to verify the address.

Might be a bit late in the day now but they could make a deposit payment of 100 and you can ask your bank to verify the payment as genuine.
            Editor Round Up
            2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6.4 Hemi Yellow Jacket
            2011 ROUSH Stage 2 Mustang
            1964.5 Vintage Burgundy 164hp 260ci V8 Convertible

Comment

If they have access to internet banking then they should be able to do the transfer in front of you, just by you providing them with you account number and sort code.

Then if you log into you bank's internet online services you should be able to see the money arrive into your account

most bank's have a phone app that can do all of this with a few click's.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                You don't do anything, he transfers the cash (either online or via phone) then you just check your balance, once the funds arrive give him the keys.
                Standard practice when buying cars, saves dealing with counterfeit cash or bouncing cheques.
                Sorry but the payment can still be claimed back if fraudulent.
                Editor Round Up
                2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6.4 Hemi Yellow Jacket
                2011 ROUSH Stage 2 Mustang
                1964.5 Vintage Burgundy 164hp 260ci V8 Convertible

Comment

As has been suggested if you get some form of ID to prove who they are then a bank transfer is a pretty secure method.
                  If you did accept cash you run the risk of counterfeit notes.
                  Current Mustang Red 1965 Coupe - Previous Mustangs 2008 S197, 1965 Coupe

Comment

I sold a car once and he paid by bank transfer. Normally its quite quick, but this one took around an hour to go through to my acc so we just had to sit and wait.
                    sigpic
                    BrightLightCustoms - LED Lighting and Bespoke Accessories
                    http://www.brightlight-customs.co.uk/

'11 Ford Crown Victoria Police Inteceptor
                    '62 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390, auto
                    '62 Ford F100 Unibody
                    '65 Ford Galaxie 500, 4dr Sedan, 289, auto
                    '68 Ford Mustang Coupe, 200 Inline six, 3 Sp Manual

Comment

Originally posted by G19 View Post
                      Sorry but the payment can still be claimed back if fraudulent.
                      Exactly this ^^^ as far as I am aware any payment can be taken back out of your account if it comes from a fake bank account or other fraudulent reason. Cash paid into your account with buyer present is safest way.

Comment

Originally posted by 68 Coupe View Post
                        I sold a car once and he paid by bank transfer. Normally its quite quick, but this one took around an hour to go through to my acc so we just had to sit and wait.

I bought a car last week, took over four hours to show in the sellers account online.
                        Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Comment

I brought my new daily last week, rang the bank a week before for the heads up / pre-authorisation and it was in the account within 20 mins
                          Current Rides -

2005 GT Auto 4.6 V8 ROUSHcharged (Stage 3)

1965 C Code Coupe 289, all original

Comment

I take dozens of bank transfers

Many banks have a 10k limit for transfers per day
                            Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                            We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

So what happened Steve, has it gone?

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

Working...
                              X