Car Cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Cover?

Unfortunately I donít have a garage! I did toy with the idea of getting a cover a while ago but decided against it after doing some research which resulted in me thinking it could end up doing more damage than just leaving it to the eliments. I have an S550 so rust etc
    isnít an issue. However with winter creeping up on us Iíve been thinking about it again. Has anyone got any thoughts, knowledge or experience? Thanks.

Donít do it
    2013-2016 2005 S197 V6 Coupe Black
    2017-2018 2007 S197 GT Coupe Tungsten
    2019-Current 2005 S197 GT Convertible Black

Comment

My cars live under covers. Unlimited car cover I think it's called. It's kinda furry on the inside so doesn't scratch the paint and even during winter or after big rain storms when I've lifted it to work on the car it's been bone dry underneath
      Instagram link - https://www.instagram.com/chevelle_hell/

Facebook shop - https://m.facebook.com/D.R.E.Ltd/

Comment

If I d the more micro fibre the more the micro fibre holds particles and therefore scratches. Car covers are great for indoor use only in my opinion. But of course itís up to you, have you ever covered any of your other cars?

Comment

Mine is a Stormforce cover, it's NOT waterproof even though it claims to be, for example water drips through the bonnet turn signal recess into the engine bay.
          Plus point is that they fit well and appears to be breathable, suggest you look at a different brand though.

Comment

Originally posted by Musti View Post
            If I d the more micro fibre the more the micro fibre holds particles and therefore scratches. Car covers are great for indoor use only in my opinion. But of course itís up to you, have you ever covered any of your other cars?
            Iíve not used one before. When doing a bit of research it seemed to suggest that they can cause scratching and your car should be cleaned prior to putting it on. I only really drive it at the weekends but still it seems like a pain if when it comes to Sunday evening it has to be cleaned before covering it up again. Donít get me wrong I am a bit of a detailing geek and am happy spending a few hours cleaning my pride and joy but if it is the case that it has to be freshly cleaned every time just prior to covering it up I donít think it would really work for me.
            Last edited by PatrickB109; 08-09-2018, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickB109 View Post
              Iíve not used one before. When doing a bit of research it seemed to suggest that they can cause scratching and your car should be cleaned prior to putting it on. I only really drive it at the weekends but still it seems like a pain if when it comes to Sunday evening it has to be cleaned before covering it up again. Donít get me wrong I am a bit of a detailing geek and am happy spending a few hours cleaning my pride and joy but if it is the case that it has to be freshly cleaned every time just prior to covering it up I donít think it would really work for me.
              I hate covers and always have. For all the reasons above. Even with the best intentions they end up going onto a dirty car and scratch the hell out if it/dirty the cover for all future uses. They are hard to put somewhere when removed/fall on the floor. PITA!

When I have used a cover, indoors!, a nylon fly weight cover kept the dust off.

A carcoon would be the best possible thing but obviously a huge blimp like device on the drive may not work for everyone.
              Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
              We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Unfortunately I donít have a garage! I did toy with the idea of getting a cover a while ago but decided against it after doing some research which resulted in me thinking it could end up doing more damage than just leaving it to the eliments. I have an S550 so rust etc
                isnít an issue. However with winter creeping up on us Iíve been thinking about it again. Has anyone got any thoughts, knowledge or experience? Thanks.
                Moltex are the best I think for outdoor / waterproof, good old halfords second or buy a bubble.
                Classic pre 75 Ford and Chevy addict who Works in Software industry & also part owner of a small LTD Shop that imports Cool / custom pre 1970 American Cars / Trucks https://www.horsepwrkustoms.com

Comment

Exactly that mate, your car has to be clean, and as pete said once the covers removed you should keep it somewhere clean. As you have said yourself you enjoy cleaning the car so buy good product and you wonít have to worry about the car. Polish/wax every other month and you wonít have a problem, also something no one seems to do, Rain-x is a god send for keeping frost off your windows during the colder months!!

Comment

I have had my car four years and it's been kept under a cover all the time, on the plus side the car only gets used at weekends and meetings so it's not a daily driver.

The car always and I mean always goes under the cover clean and waxed, in the four years of ownership has the cover marked the car - yes but you need to know where to look and to be honest the few marks I have got have been polished out. On the plus side the car is always clean and protected from sunlight as well as rain and snow in the winter.

On the downside nothing worse then having a wet cover on the car when you want to use it, might have been raining over night and the next day of the meeting sunny as anything but the car cover is still wet/damp. It helps having two people to put the cover on as well, especially when it is windy but as long as you fold them away correctly they are easy to work with, basically bring the two sides together on the roof and then either roll from the front or the rear.

Worse time of the year for a car cover is October/November when we tend to get more windy weather, nothing like being woken up with a car cover blowing about in the wind where it has lifted off the front or rear of the car, make sure you get one that has support straps which go under the car to secure it.

My car cover came from www.covercraft.com - Weathershield and after four years of use it is just starting to lose the elastic around the rear/front of the car, its still fit for purpose but I am guessing will have to replace next year.
                    Editor Round Up
                    2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6.4 Hemi Yellow Jacket
                    2011 ROUSH Stage 2 Mustang
                    1964.5 Vintage Burgundy 164hp 260ci V8 Convertible

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys, very helpful. I think I have pretty much decided not to get one. I got it coated with Diamondbrite when I got it and keep it topped up with spray on sealants, Iíve found Car Pro Reload is great! So hopefully that coupled with regular detailing/ cleaning will keep it looking tip top. And hopefully one day I will get that house with huge double garage!
                      Last edited by PatrickB109; 09-09-2018, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Cover

Thanks for all the advice guys, very helpful. I think I have pretty much decided not to get one. I got it coated with Diamondbrite when I got it and keep it topped up with spray on sealants, Iíve found Car Pro Reload is great! So hopefully that coupled with regular detailing/ cleaning will keep it looking tip top. And hopefully one day I will get that house with huge double garage!
                        I have been using covers for my Vert for 13 years, I always clean the car before pulling over the cover, my advice buy the best cover you can afford, expect to pay £400+ we have proper winters in Yorkshire, and yes I have chased the cover down the street on stormy days, now its ripped and I am going to buy a new one soon.
                        Big Paul

Something for the weekend :Burnout

Tell them I'm commin and when I come hell comes with me :Cowboy

Comment

One consideration if you're leaving the car out without cover is despite all the wax and sealants is to check all your weatherstrips, rubbers and protection around all windows - in the past not enough attention had been given to this on my car and rain seeping in albeit in tiny amounts through windscreen and driver / passengers doors and sneaking in to the bottom of the doors and bottom of footwells can lead to issues, nothing like spraying the car with a hose to see if any week sports......my Halfords cover large size £50 fits mustang perfectly and does a good first line of defence I think...

Comment

Hi, I always used a Stormforce Fitted Cover on my previous cars (911's - sorry!!), and was really pleased with it. It was great to know that the car was protected from bird poo, leaves, snow etc... and I could just pull the cover off - 2 person job and only when completely dry! and just use the car - so I purchased a genuine Ford Mustang outdoor cover for my GT Fastback. Haven't used it yet (if I'm honest is doesn't seem as good or well lined as the Stormforce covers) so I will post again when I have used it.

Comment

I am currently trying to decide how best to protect mine over winter. Carcoon looks like the best option if I won't be driving it but I'm also tempted by the roll out cover below. It's low enough that it'll be below fence height and I use it in summer even when driving the car with ease.

http://www.carcovershop.co.uk/Rollout-CarCovers.asp

Comment

Working...
                              X