Spark Plugs.....thank god thatís done!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark Plugs.....thank god thatís done!

Thought Iíd better do the dreaded plug change on my 2007 S197 while itís off road for winter.
    89000 on originals so didnít hold out much hope of not snapping them.
    Anyway, followed the advice online. Just slightly loosened, carbon remover and left them to soak 24 hours.
    6 out no issue. 2 really tight.
    Another 24 hour soak, and yes the last one snapped!
    Quick search online. Ordered a removal kit and when it arrived it took half hour and the broken one was out, all back together and running a treat.
    The removal puller was worth its weight in gold. So easy.
    Anyway chuffed itís done, so much so I thought Iíd share it here!

Cheers

Happy days. Pretty sure the previous owner had the plugs changed on my car, not sure why as its still only got 42k miles on it.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
    1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
    2005 Mustang GT 2014-
    2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

Thanks mate. Happy days indeed! Itís a fact they wonít be in so long this time.

Comment

I always put copper slip on conventional spark plug threads since when as a lad I had a plug in an alloy head bring out the thread, never lost one in 40 years since, and never had a problem with electrode contamination.
        Don't know if you can with these new-fangled plugs ? just sayin.
        sigpic
        You can never have enough black under the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by cobraboy View Post
          I always put copper slip on conventional spark plug threads since when as a lad I had a plug in an alloy head bring out the thread, never lost one in 40 years since, and never had a problem with electrode contamination.
          Likewise.. For 40 years I have used copper grease on spark plug threads, esp on alloy heads. Never had a problem at all.:-$
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cobraboy View Post
            Yes, Mark, you can... well I do, anyway!

Comment

Yes me too. Except itís not the threads that are the issue, the long electrode sleeve seizes in and snaps. Threads are fine.

Comment

It was mention some time ago about using aluminum gresse similar to copper greese as new engines are aluminum seally do a brand of it unless you want to buy from the states??? dont know how the copper greese reacts with certain alloys????

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Sealey-SCS1...5921175&chn=ps

if you google it so many differant brands out there,
                sigpicUpgrades = Saleen supercharger kit with JDM tune, 3.4 pulley ,Keene bell boost a pump, BBK 62mm Twin Throttle body with spacer, EBC drilled vented & grooved discs up front with red stuff pads all round , Boost gauge and fuel psi gauge ,Oil seperator, Extra 5" fans for heat exchanger, 7 row oil cooler , Braided steal brake hoses all round, BMR rear lower control arms. 481Bhp Total. & all the normal refinements you get with a Saleen mustang. production number 192 of 945 for that year.

Comment

Originally posted by saleen 192 View Post
                  It was mention some time ago about using aluminum gresse similar to copper greese as new engines are aluminum seally do a brand of it unless you want to buy from the states??? dont know how the copper greese reacts with certain alloys????

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Sealey-SCS1...5921175&chn=ps

if you google it so many differant brands out there,
                  That is useful to know.. Thanks=D>=D>=D>
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lobbers View Post
                    Thought I’d better do the dreaded plug change on my 2007 S197 while it’s off road for winter.
                    89000 on originals so didn’t hold out much hope of not snapping them.
                    Anyway, followed the advice online. Just slightly loosened, carbon remover and left them to soak 24 hours.
                    6 out no issue. 2 really tight.
                    Another 24 hour soak, and yes the last one snapped!
                    Quick search online. Ordered a removal kit and when it arrived it took half hour and the broken one was out, all back together and running a treat.
                    The removal puller was worth its weight in gold. So easy.
                    Anyway chuffed it’s done, so much so I thought I’d share it here!

Cheers
                    what removal kit did you use?....... will order one.. best to be prepared!

Comment

Originally posted by johno View Post
                      what removal kit did you use?....... will order one.. best to be prepared!
                      I've got one you can borrow. If you follow the procedure to the letter though it's unlikely you'll need it but borrow it anyway.

I did mine on my 05 GT after about 60k miles 9I bought it with 53k). A couple were tight but using plusgas (FFS not WD40 it's different) it all loosened off ok.

Malc
                      2005 GT 4.6, 2007 GT500, 2013 GT500 (present car).
                      3mustangs by Malc May, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X