MOT Pass Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOT Pass Today

The old girl passed its MOT today, no advisories, but I did find a classic friendly tester and just yards from where I live.

Really pleased I didn't opt out as I now know she is sea worthy :-)

+ i got a look at the very rust free underside!

The cynical/suspicious nature I have suggests its a good idea to register VHI, time will tell I guess. Anyway well done with your non-MOT test pass.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
    1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
    2005 Mustang GT 2014-
    2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

non-MOT pass? do you mean it doesn't mean much as most of it applies to new cars?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
        non-MOT pass? do you mean it doesn't mean much as most of it applies to new cars?
        You don't need a MOT on a classic car anymore.

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

I know but its a cheap check on my DIY skills that turned out to be good... and I know the brakes/steering etc components are sound?

I think its a cheap heath check?

Comment

Yes I guess so. I imagine that some time in the future someone will ask the question why you haven't registered as a VHI and still MOT it for no reason, they might just presume the car is modified and maybe want to inspect it. It might be a better idea to VHI your car and then pay for a non-MOT to give you peace of mind, who knows?

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

I am kind of with Anaconda on this. I think it is best to declare your car VHI and opt out of the MoT. There is always the chance if you stay in the system that you could get caught up in modern legislation that your car will not be capable of complying with. If you feel the need to have an independent inspection surely you can find a classic car enthusiast MoT tester who would inspect your car or any work you have done for a suitable fee. The guy I used to use for MoT's is only too pleased to see the car and help.
              Allan

Comment

Or on the flip side by having no test 'they' in the future could ban you from motorways or limit use in some other way. Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by richard View Post
                  Or on the flip side by having no test 'they' in the future could ban you from motorways or limit use in some other way. Who knows?
                  Look at it this way, If you have the unfortunate event where you get in an accident and kill someone do you really want to say you didn't MOT the car because you didn't have to?

If you think your insurance company will stand behind you if the car isn't MOT'd I think you are dreaming.

They will go through the car with a fine tooth comb. Leaky brakes, No insurance, Worn pads, No insurance, Tyres excessively worn, No insurance, it just makes sense to get an MOT

And after half of dozen poor souls are murdered by non MOT'd cars do you think it will be put back into place?

Peter
                  Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                  We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

What's the point of an mot, mot is only for that day,people rely on once a year road worthy test so I do agree if the car is a fresh import then yes get it checked or mot'd but don't just rely on once a year check.
                    I check my 68 after every run just to make sure all is ok,I do the same as an mot would do
                    just my pennies worth.
                    07 Cali special
                    68 fastback
                    75 grannycoupev8

Comment

Originally posted by missfastback View Post
                      What's the point of an mot, mot is only for that day,people rely on once a year road worthy test so I do agree if the car is a fresh import then yes get it checked or mot'd but don't just rely on once a year check.
                      I check my 68 after every run just to make sure all is ok,I do the same as an mot would do
                      just my pennies worth.
                      But thats you. what about serious issues like chassis rust brake fluid leaks ball joints etc etc
                      unless you have a ramp or pit how do you check all that? there should have been a separate test for classics IMO
                      not as rigorous as for modern cars, but would stop the one tbat buys a classic to avoid tests & then never service
                      or check it. Just my pennies worth
                      For professional valeting http://goo.gl/vXP0j0
                      Metal Polishing & Wheel Refurb http://www.promopolishing.co.uk/
                      American Car sales+ Servicing & Parts http://www.boatwright.co.uk/
                      Dent Removal http://www.dentx-uk.com/

Roll on Freedom 11pm 29th March

Comment

Plenty fail in the Car and Light Commercial Groups:

2014/15 38.4%
                        2015/16 36.8%
                        2016/17 35.4%

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ry.csv/preview
                        1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
                        2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
                        2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

Yes it was any major faults I was looking to find out about with the MOT, I'm sort of thinking if the car checks out its unlikely to develop any in 6 to 8 hundred miles over a year, but I do keep an eye on things. I have already changed all the control arms, shocks, idler arm, sway bar links etc so I don't shy away from maintenance.

He did point out a little up and down play and a slight leak in the power steering control valve so I have a rebuild kit coming as this is my next job b4 I do too much more driving.

If I did go VHI I would probably get a twice yearly written health check so I had some record of being a responsible owner. I do feel opting out would tag me with the only trying to get away with cheap driving brigade, not that I think that is any more than 1 or 2% of classic car owners.

Comment

Originally posted by pmustang View Post
                            Look at it this way, If you have the unfortunate event where you get in an accident and kill someone do you really want to say you didn't MOT the car because you didn't have to?

If you think your insurance company will stand behind you if the car isn't MOT'd I think you are dreaming.

They will go through the car with a fine tooth comb. Leaky brakes, No insurance, Worn pads, No insurance, Tyres excessively worn, No insurance, it just makes sense to get an MOT

And after half of dozen poor souls are murdered by non MOT'd cars do you think it will be put back into place?

Peter
                            If someone dies the Police inspect the car anyway, having an MOT is no relevance to their findings.

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

I am not going to go back on forth on this having a discussion.

Suffice to say I think it is insane not to get an MOT on your classic car. Ending the MOT on classics is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen the government do. I have went through well over 100 cars in the past three years and the MOT failures on some of them have been deadly. Many, MANY of the folks now importing cars are rubbing their hands together at the savings afforded to them by the ending of the MOT requirement. Even the dodgy ones who used to pay for a dodgy MOT can now have a few extra Stellas with the money saved.

Thats my opinion and I am sticking to it.
                              Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                              We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Working...
                              X