Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your Mustang build dream ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What's your Mustang build dream ?

    OK, so I thought this might be fun as I know I am guilty of it and figured others would be too!

    I have a long mental list of modifications / improvements for my '65 Mustang...some of which are realistic and some I know I'll probably never actually do.

    So, just for fun as I am curious what tech / plans / trends there are out there, given a small inheritance or a complete windfall what would you do ?

    My more reasonable list is:
    - Reflash respray
    - Ridetech streetgrip suspension and full subframe / engine bay bracing
    - 15x7 Alloys
    - New CAM etc to breathe some new life into the 289
    - New Arnivode exhaust or possibly a SS Magnaflow system
    - Fuel cell for improved safety

    My windfall list includes:
    - Full coil over suspension (Street or track, Mike Maier Inc or even a Roadstershop chassis !) and Wilwood disc brake setup
    - Full bare metal restoration
    - 347 stroker installation or something 400hp+ with all wiring etc re-routed to be hidden.
    - T5 transmission
    - GT350 inspired styling with a de-cluttered exterior
    - Possibly 16x8 alloys - not quite sure how they'd look!
    - Full TMI interior upgrade

    So, classic or modern, what would your dream Mustang plans be ?

    #2
    Having owned one for a lot of years I think the best is half way between stock and restomod. With the stuff you are talking of doing it might fall a little foul of the VHI rules. I've done the following over the years

    front suspension
    Shelby/Arndt drop with neg wedge
    2 3/4inch drop total on 620 springs
    1" roll bar
    pro motorsports bump steer kit
    Koni shocks

    rear suspension
    1/2inch anti role bar
    Koni shocks
    1" drop

    Brakes
    Dual circuit brake cylinder
    9" servo
    Kelsey Hayes front disc conversion
    2" wide rear drums

    Body
    re sprayed
    blue/white pony interior
    centre console
    Rally Pac
    montecarlo bar
    export brace

    Engine
    GT40 iron heads
    Edelbrock Performer plus cam
    short headers
    Dr Gas crossover twin exhaust
    Edelbrock performer 4bbl inlet manifold
    Holley Street Avenger carb
    Mallory ignition with Pertronix igniter & MSD coil
    Alloy rad
    electric fan
    dress up kit.

    Overall I feel I have made a car that is now usable and pretty good from a drivable point of view. The steering and suspension is way better and the brakes have a modern feel to them.

    I think the main limiting factor now is the C4 and as I don't like manual I would like a 4 speed auto. The engine topped out at 284Hp at 4750 on the dyno so I would like an engine with a bit more top end rpm, say 5500-6000rpm which should easily make 300Hp. This said I prefer you option of a stroker.
    Allan

    Comment


      #3
      Mixture of both realistic mods and not so realistic mods for S550 2.3

      - Black Stripes with white outer pin stripe.
      - GT front upper & lower grill
      - Anderson Composites carbon fibre deck lid panel
      - Ferrada FR4 wheels and better tyres, possibly the Pilot Sports
      - Eibach lowering springs
      - Eibach spacers
      - Full Militek system with sports cat
      - Revo Remap
      - Revo air filter
      - Revo intercooler
      - Turbosmart blow off valve
      - Short throw gear
      - Bigger turbo 🙈
      - Various other exterior aesthetics
      Last edited by YorkshireStang; 11-01-2019, 07:58 PM.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by ALLAN R View Post
        Having owned one for a lot of years I think the best is half way between stock and restomod. With the stuff you are talking of doing it might fall a little foul of the VHI rules. I've done the following over the years

        front suspension
        Shelby/Arndt drop with neg wedge
        2 3/4inch drop total on 620 springs
        1" roll bar
        pro motorsports bump steer kit
        Koni shocks

        rear suspension
        1/2inch anti role bar
        Koni shocks
        1" drop

        Brakes
        Dual circuit brake cylinder
        9" servo
        Kelsey Hayes front disc conversion
        2" wide rear drums

        Body
        re sprayed
        blue/white pony interior
        centre console
        Rally Pac
        montecarlo bar
        export brace

        Engine
        GT40 iron heads
        Edelbrock Performer plus cam
        short headers
        Dr Gas crossover twin exhaust
        Edelbrock performer 4bbl inlet manifold
        Holley Street Avenger carb
        Mallory ignition with Pertronix igniter & MSD coil
        Alloy rad
        electric fan
        dress up kit.

        Overall I feel I have made a car that is now usable and pretty good from a drivable point of view. The steering and suspension is way better and the brakes have a modern feel to them.

        I think the main limiting factor now is the C4 and as I don't like manual I would like a 4 speed auto. The engine topped out at 284Hp at 4750 on the dyno so I would like an engine with a bit more top end rpm, say 5500-6000rpm which should easily make 300Hp. This said I prefer you option of a stroker.
        That's a nice setup. As you say, it's a nice and drivable without going too far. I agree some of my far flung dream items would fall foul of the 8 point rule...but that won't be an issue as doubt I'll ever do them. A roadstershop style 100k build is WAY beyond me! If money was no object is there anything you'd add? Besides maybe that stroker option?

        Originally posted by YorkshireStang View Post
        Mixture of both realistic mods and not so realistic mods for S550 2.3

        - Black Stripes with white outer pin stripe.
        - GT front upper & lower grill
        - Anderson Composites carbon fibre deck lid panel
        - Ferrada FR4 wheels and better tyres, possibly the Pilot Sports
        - Eibach lowering springs
        - Eibach spacers
        - Full Militek system with sports cat
        - Revo Remap
        - Revo air filter
        - Revo intercooler
        - Turbosmart blow off valve
        - Short throw gear
        - Bigger turbo 🙈
        - Various other exterior aesthetics
        That's a nice mix of style and performance. The lowering springs are nice and easy, the bigger turbo a bit out there! Ha!

        I do love the fact that there is a whole parts catalogue of options out there for these cars. I think that's why I love to day dream about what I would build.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Iddingtons View Post
          That's a nice setup. As you say, it's a nice and drivable without going too far. I agree some of my far flung dream items would fall foul of the 8 point rule...but that won't be an issue as doubt I'll ever do them. A roadstershop style 100k build is WAY beyond me! If money was no object is there anything you'd add? Besides maybe that stroker option?
          Money not being an object I would like to put the car into a good bodyshop to better align some panels and get another good paint job. I am planning on fitting a tru-trac diff as mine is whining rather badly. I don't really want a super shiny blinged out car as I like driving it and the work of keeping it show winning clean does not appeal. I am planning on doing the North Coast 500, which for me (home to home) will be almost 2000 miles. If the car does this without missing a beat then that is the car for me and I'd want no more. So the master plan would be a 4 speed auto and a new diff designed to give good cruising comfort and MPG. With a four speed I might be able to drop the rear end ratio a bit to give a bit more low end acceleration. To be honest the years of ownership have taught me to be very wary of all the modification/performance stuff out there. building a car that is an out and out racer will make driving it on the road a real pain. For instance a lumpy cammed 400Hp small block will sound great and go like stink if its revved but in modern traffic it will be a nightmare giving nothing low down and getting hot and even more lumpy idling in traffic.
          Allan

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by ALLAN R View Post
            Money not being an object I would like to put the car into a good bodyshop to better align some panels and get another good paint job. I am planning on fitting a tru-trac diff as mine is whining rather badly. I don't really want a super shiny blinged out car as I like driving it and the work of keeping it show winning clean does not appeal. I am planning on doing the North Coast 500, which for me (home to home) will be almost 2000 miles. If the car does this without missing a beat then that is the car for me and I'd want no more. So the master plan would be a 4 speed auto and a new diff designed to give good cruising comfort and MPG. With a four speed I might be able to drop the rear end ratio a bit to give a bit more low end acceleration. To be honest the years of ownership have taught me to be very wary of all the modification/performance stuff out there. building a car that is an out and out racer will make driving it on the road a real pain. For instance a lumpy cammed 400Hp small block will sound great and go like stink if its revved but in modern traffic it will be a nightmare giving nothing low down and getting hot and even more lumpy idling in traffic.
            I've looked at the truetrac and they seem like a decent modification to make. I might add one to my dream list! ha!

            The North coast 500 should be great fun. Some really nice roads up there. I went to the Isle of Mull last summer but sadly not in the Mustang.

            I know you're right about a lumpy 400Hp motor being a pain....but gosh I still want one =))

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Iddingtons View Post
              OK, so I thought this might be fun as I know I am guilty of it and figured others would be too!

              I have a long mental list of modifications / improvements for my '65 Mustang...some of which are realistic and some I know I'll probably never actually do.

              So, just for fun as I am curious what tech / plans / trends there are out there, given a small inheritance or a complete windfall what would you do ?

              My more reasonable list is:
              - Reflash respray
              - Ridetech streetgrip suspension and full subframe / engine bay bracing
              - 15x7 Alloys
              - New CAM etc to breathe some new life into the 289
              - New Arnivode exhaust or possibly a SS Magnaflow system
              - Fuel cell for improved safety

              My windfall list includes:
              - Full coil over suspension (Street or track, Mike Maier Inc or even a Roadstershop chassis !) and Wilwood disc brake setup
              - Full bare metal restoration
              - 347 stroker installation or something 400hp+ with all wiring etc re-routed to be hidden.
              - T5 transmission
              - GT350 inspired styling with a de-cluttered exterior
              - Possibly 16x8 alloys - not quite sure how they'd look!
              - Full TMI interior upgrade

              So, classic or modern, what would your dream Mustang plans be ?
              Much the same as yourself for my '67 Mustang or in short, THIS!! >>

              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNgI...4KmTX-AoT&t=0s

              :-bd
              New Stuff is NO Good!


              1967 Ford Mustang Dark Moss Green 289 4 Speed

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Iddingtons View Post
                OK, so I thought this might be fun as I know I am guilty of it and figured others would be too!

                I have a long mental list of modifications / improvements for my '65 Mustang...some of which are realistic and some I know I'll probably never actually do.

                So, just for fun as I am curious what tech / plans / trends there are out there, given a small inheritance or a complete windfall what would you do ?

                My more reasonable list is:
                - Reflash respray
                - Ridetech streetgrip suspension and full subframe / engine bay bracing
                - 15x7 Alloys
                - New CAM etc to breathe some new life into the 289
                - New Arnivode exhaust or possibly a SS Magnaflow system
                - Fuel cell for improved safety

                My windfall list includes:
                - Full coil over suspension (Street or track, Mike Maier Inc or even a Roadstershop chassis !) and Wilwood disc brake setup
                - Full bare metal restoration
                - 347 stroker installation or something 400hp+ with all wiring etc re-routed to be hidden.
                - T5 transmission
                - GT350 inspired styling with a de-cluttered exterior
                - Possibly 16x8 alloys - not quite sure how they'd look!
                - Full TMI interior upgrade

                So, classic or modern, what would your dream Mustang plans be ?
                Hi,
                I'm intrigued by your reference to a 'fuel cell' what would this be exactly ?

                cheers

                Simon

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Buff View Post
                  Much the same as yourself for my '67 Mustang or in short, THIS!! >>

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNgI...4KmTX-AoT&t=0s

                  :-bd
                  Nice!!



                  Originally posted by nomiskx View Post
                  Hi,
                  I'm intrigued by your reference to a 'fuel cell' what would this be exactly ?

                  cheers

                  Simon
                  To replace the standard fuel tank - which is incredibly exposed to a rear impact in the early cars. Don't get me wrong - I don't think there has been many recorded incidents of an explosion or anything but as my daughter goes in the back it would offer some piece of mind!

                  Little video explanation of the technology here:

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP_gAea_bMc

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Thanks for the explanation and video... I have a race car obsessed 4 year old in the back of mine ... has anybody fitted a fuel safe in a 67 fastback ?

                    Simon

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X