My first classic car, 1965 Mustang - Suffolk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first classic car, 1965 Mustang - Suffolk

I have been dreaming about this day ever since I was 15 years old and now 16 years later it finally became a reality! Yesterday I booked off the remainder of the week off work and I had a 5 hour round trip to view a 1965 Mustang and today it was delivered to my front door. The car does need a lot of paintwork as there are excessive chips and internal work to do but structurally and mechanically, to the best of my knowledge I think it is sound. The front LH side of the car seems to have had a knock and it is warped out of place but hopefully I can get it straightened out.

To be honest I really can't contain my excitement or even think straight at the moment as this is a huge life mile stone I set for myself but my current intention is to restore her back to her original pristine glory and make her my every day driver. Ultimately I would like a convertible but they are way out of my price range and I haven't even driven a classic car before yesterday so it is going to be a huge learning curve and I hope it is going to be a fun adventure.

The last thing the gentleman told me before he left was, "Enjoy yourself and immerse yourself into the community, you will love it". So I think I will.

So I would like to introduce myself to the community and introduce another 65 mustang to the roster.

Photo Gallery Link: https://imgur.com/a/ep6DLjd

Post with 0 views. My First 65 Mustang

Welcome,

Looks like a great car... Six-cylinder with deluxe Pony interior, newer (66 style) instrument cluster. Should be a fun project.

Do you know how to work out the build information?

https://www.shastamustangsupply.com/vinid.htm
    Last edited by JCMaunder; 25-07-2019, 02:19 PM.
    We never seem to have enough time to "do it right". But we always seem to have enough time to "do it again"!

Comment

Thank you JCMaunder, I'm having a look at the build information now but something seems a miss, my vehicle code is 65B-F-66-06S-72-2-6 however Colour "F" wasn't as option in 65 but it could have either been 64 1/2 Guardsman blue or 66s Light Blue?
      The engine code is T, so it should be a 200-1V but I believe that the engine was replaced about 5-6 years ago so it could be something different. I will have to check this. It was built in San Jose. Apparently it is considered a hardtop, luxury with only 22,232 built. This is all very interesting

You said that I had a 66 style interior so maybe it was a very late model 65 so it ended up with a 66 paint job option? It came with the original 1965 registers owners manual and it was purchased 5-8-65, so 8th May 65 in american format.
      Last edited by Quiche; 25-07-2019, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Congratulations. An easy way to check colour is to remove one of the alloy step cill plates and look under. Few folks paint under there. Or you can pull the carpet back after removing the whole cover and/or pull a kick panel and the factory colour should be on the floor
        Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
        We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Yep, that seems like a mid to late 1965... built in May. My 1965 rolled out of San Jose too but mine was in September 1964 so my car has some 1964 leftovers! I don't think Ford worried too much about a few mix and match cars! No two Mustangs are exactly alike and that is part of the beauty of these classics.
          We never seem to have enough time to "do it right". But we always seem to have enough time to "do it again"!

Comment

Congratulations and best wishes for the restoration work you are planning. I too have lived with a fantasy for a classic Mustang for many years but I'm afraid I settled for a new S550 a few years ago, but the fantasy won't go away! Maybe I'll have to settle for a track blast in a 60's Shelby GT500 that my kids have treated me to for Fathers Day.

Comment

How about Skylight blue?
              Welcome to the forum and well done on your choice of car. My advice to you is drive it and don't worry about the other stuff yet, give yourself time to enjoy it before you pull it apart. Don't worry too much about originality, if you are going to spend money on it then get it how you want it rather than how it should be when leaving the factory.
              Try and use your original parts where possible as many aftermarket parts are poor quality.
              Anyway its summer time so get out there and drive it.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
              1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
              2005 Mustang GT 2014-
              2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

Actually F is Arcadian blue http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/1...ngcolors.shtml

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

Thank you for all of the welcomes and congratulations,

I think you are right Anaconda, it is very close to Arcadian Blue if not identical. I took out all of the boot covers to clean them up and the internal colour is close to the outside so I don't think it was ever changed.

I want to use as much original as possible but I think some areas really need to be replaced. The carpet is worn to the point that the black has gone completely and it is like an orangy membrane only, there is also a big chunk gouged out of the carpet on the passenger side. I am really hoping that I can recover/patch the drivers side seat as well but it is torn and there is a hole poked in the seat as well for some reason and replace the cushions as well in the front. all in all it just needs a really good clean!
                  Last edited by Quiche; 25-07-2019, 08:08 PM.

Comment

You can buy everything that you need, just do a little research first. You will get plenty of advice on here, well worth the club membership fees alone, not forgetting the club magazine. What you could do is take a couple of pics and send a little article into the magazine, then in a few years time you can look back at how your car was when you first bought it. Doesn't matter its not pristine, all that matters is that its your car.

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

Welcome to the forum - what a great looking, honest coupe!
                      1966 Mustang Hardtop - Trans-Am tribute in the making..
                      1962 Chevy C-20 Fleetside
                      1987 Peugeot 205 GTi track toy
                      1974 Ford Econoline E100

Comment

Looks to be a good find, make it how you want it to be.
                        1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
                        2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
                        2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

Welcome to the forum... Nice car you have there, happy classic motoring.

Phil

Classic American Restoration Services
                          01992 890969..............07590 431511
                          www.totalmustang.co.uk ... www.philsworkshop.co.uk
                          https://www.facebook.com/classicamer...rationservices

Comment

I had my first long-ish drive over the weekend, 58 miles each way mostly through country roads and a 10-15 miles stretch on a dual carriageway, it was an absolute blast. There were a lot of smiles and thumbs up from myself and other drivers and pedestrians.

The chips around the front LH headlight are kind of growing on me. I am thinking of just protecting the bare metal and keeping it.

Comment

Welcome
                              I look forward to seeing the car about. Great to have such a good looker in Suffolk.
                              sigpic
                              You can never have enough black under the hood.

Comment

Working...
                              X