Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boss 351 from West London now in SoCal

Apologies for the lengthy post.
    Hi to the group, glad to have found you all. Hope everyone is well and more than coping during these “interesting” times.
    My name is Mark (handle is LondonBoss on forums) and I’m originally from the Uxbridge area but now living in San Diego.
    I’ve owned my Grabber Blue Boss 351 since buying it in West London in 1986.
    I brought the car back to the US a while back and it is currently in “major project” mode with the engine being rebuilt as we speak.
    Looking forward to getting to know you and your cars and hopefully help fill in some of the history blanks for my car (car is also known as the London Boss in the US Boss world).
    Having searched through old posts on here I’m pretty certain a few of you were aware of my car’s existence back in the day.
    Not sure if these guys are still active or in touch with the group but 72Mach1 (Cliff?) - I think considered buying my car before I got it from the same dealer (STS in Shepherds Bush) and GT500 Clone (Paul?) - I hope you may have known of (or possibly even owned) my car.
    I’m really trying to find out any history for this car between 1972 and 1985 when it was featured in “Classic and Sportscar” magazine (and then owned by the dealer I bought it from).
    I was fortunate to spend some time chatting with Kevin Marti a while back and we agreed that the story and people are usually the most interesting thing about these cars so a few tidbits I know about mine - Originally sold in New York, New York (Gotham Ford), non-export car in April 1971. First registered in the UK in 1972. Was resprayed Grabber Blue at some point but with incorrect black hood (sorry, bonnet) treatment and black stripes. Less than 40k miles to date but some may have been 1/4 mile at a time because engine had some typical performance mods including Autolite 4300 replaced with 780 cfm Holley double pumper, Crane cam installed along with Mallory ignition. Camshaft oil-feed restrictiors and double roller installed. Crank bearings have also been replaced (date codes indicate around 1977 timeframe).
    Car is numbers matching (chassis, engine, tranny and rear end) so the restoration will hopefully be respectful but not as fastidious as a lot of my B1 friends (I ain’t shelling out 5k gbp on an Autolite carb for example). As we say in the car hobby “a bum for every seat” eh?
    Enjoy those Ponies now people, I fear we are a dying breed (prove me wrong young Skywalkers!) - Mark

p.s. Picture is the LondonBoss in South Bucks back in the day...

Click image for larger version

Name:	F9ED2A00-BA78-4638-9186-775AB0494207.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1250275

Great to have you here! I’m sure the names you mention still leek, a few look familiar.
    2013-2016 2005 S197 V6 Coupe Black
    2017-2018 2007 S197 GT Coupe Tungsten
    2019-Current 2005 S197 GT Convertible Black

Comment

Welcome. where have you been lurking all these years!!! One of my favourite Mustangs, along with Boss302's and 429's of course

A quick google of the old registration came up with this 12 year old thread on Pistonheads, not sure if you were the author?

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=105&t=558437
      Paul

2003 GT Convertible - Sonic Blue & 2013 GT Convertible - Deep Impact Blue
      2006 Viper SRT10 Coupe - GTS Blue/White First edition #146 of 200

Mustangs gone but not forgotten

70 351-4v Mach 1........72 351-2v convertible........94 GT convertible........05 GT convertible

Comment

I have emailed Paul a link. he is still very much involved with Mustangs. thanks for your story.
        Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
        We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Originally posted by sonicbloo View Post
          Welcome. where have you been lurking all these years!!! One of my favourite Mustangs, along with Boss302's and 429's of course

A quick google of the old registration came up with this 12 year old thread on Pistonheads, not sure if you were the author?

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=105&t=558437
          Paul, “Lurking” is the word mate! I’ve been working all over (oil &gas) so no big mistery, just life eh?
          I didn’t author the article in Classic & Sportscar but I do have copy which is nice to have as part of the car’s provenance. Car was always around South Bucks until I shipped it back to the States. Was never driven much due to me flying here, there and everywhere. Now I’ve “settled” and trying to give the car some of the love and attention it deserves. Watch this space... Mark

Comment

Originally posted by pmustang View Post
            I have emailed Paul a link. he is still very much involved with Mustangs. thanks for your story.
            Much appreciated Peter, thanks - Mark

Comment

hello there...i owned 3 of these...2 yellow ones that had been in uk i think since nearly new...i think there were to do with mocgb owners...a guy called paul bailey had the 2 from my dad a few years back...i owned another black 1 which was imported into uk in 1990 from the states, and put in a uk lock up garage where it sat for over 20 years untouched until i purchased from a mate....i knew of a grabber green one here, and as far as i know there were only 4 in the uk...i never knew of this grabber blue car...been into mustangs for 39 years...nice to know of another that was here, but like all rare cars they go back to where they came from ...the states !!! nice story but cant tell you nothing on yours
              sigpic
              69 MACH 1 351/4V AUTO
              69 428 COBRAJET 4-SPEED (SOLD)
              69 GT500 AUTO (SOLD

Comment

According to the DVLA this has been untaxed since 1987 see

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.u...ound?locale=en
                :Burnout :gears MUSTANG-MAD:gears :Burnout

https://foxresto.com

https://mustangmaniac.co.uk/ mustang maniac

http://youtu.be/ZSYGVPKpol0

Comment

Originally posted by mustang-mad View Post
                  According to the DVLA this has been untaxed since 1987 see

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.u...ound?locale=en
                  Strange but just another example of DVLA data not being accurate. I have the old tax discs in a box somewhere from ‘86 to ‘90. Not an issue for me as the car is no longer in the UK but a good reminder that even if a government agency tells you (in writing) something then I’d still verify - Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X