Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello - and another person on the hunt

Good afternoon folks,

My name is Daren (or Daz, whichever you prefer) and just thought I would place in my first post and say "Hi".

Yes, as title says, I am on the look out for a Mustang. A V8 version of the latest variety - S550.

I did consider an earlier version but I have had a number of imports before (not US imports - Jap Domestic stuff) and whilst there is great support for the US vehicles (some of them), and excellent support specifically for these models, I thought I would play the safe route and go for an official imported one, not one that has travelled across the pond somewhere in the middle of its life.

Don't get me wrong, I love the "classic" Mustangs (perhaps some of you prefer to call them the "proper Mustangs"), but that is a preference I have. I am sure the battles between the new and the old have long been resolved but I remember when the S550 was launched, there was some hang ups that it wasn't quite a proper Mustang.

So I am looking for a pre facelift S550 version V8 fast back and been looking now for 2 months. Ones that come along at the right price, right mileage seem to be sold within 24hrs. It's a bit crazy out there at the moment on the used car market, especially with these.

So a bit about me. I work at Ford Motor at Dunton Engineering premises in Essex and attempt to work out future used car values of our stable of models. Dunton was purely for the R&D and engineering but it has changed now. They have let all sorts in and that has allowed me to move over there.

So yes, I am a vehicle valuation person and if you have taken a Ford vehicle out on PCP, that monthly payment you made was down to our team. I am sorry if we messed up somewhere.

Given my link to Dunton, there's something that is close to some of you on here that I then became involved in last year. I understand that some of you here attended / showed your car at the Sept 2018 Frankie Festival at Dunton ? Well, I have been a Capri nut for most of my life and last year was Capri's 50th birthday. So the Dunton track was filled with Capris last Sept and that was down to me.

OK, I am trumpet blowing but I am quite proud of this feat. I have been a Capri club outsider for 25 yrs because I got fed up with the politics back in the 1990s with "my car is faster than yours" and all that saga. So I bowed out of the scene and formed a club of 2 - my mate and I. You can't really have any politics in a small club of that size.

So I wade on in, in late 2018, to state that we have a home for the 50th birthday and some of the stalwarts, who have been planning a 50th birthday for a few years, sort of got upset that this interloper has strayed on in with the size 13s and trampled all over their plans. I could see where they were coming from but I just thought I was doing something good for the community by placing the Capri on home turf. Anyway, I was told that achieving more than 100 Capris would be impossible, especially from an unknown (ie me).

Well we not only brought a load of Capris back "home", but we had the 2nd largest gathering of Capris ever in the UK in the 21st Century at that event. I can only claim to be the ring master - it was the enthusiasm of that group of owners that made that fact come true. It held the record for 1 week as being the largest 21st century gathering but then was beaten a week later

But back to you guys - I actually took the inspiration for this by seeing 60/70 Mustangs on there the year before. Before 2018, whist I work at the company, I have never been to the Frankie Event. It's strange that on the inside, you see less info than in the right circles on the outside. In fairness, I sort of knew of the event but thought it was a casual gathering of motors and not much else. In my line, I see so many of these things and go to very few because they don't tend to stack up to much.

So when I took a trip to that 2018 Frankie event, under invite for the St Francis Hospice, I was blown away by what I saw on the track that year. Then thought that this would work for the Capris in 2019. And it did - 220 of them turned up.

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me and made a very long intro. I make my apologies that I do create monologues at times, so just beat me up and tell me that you got bored halfway through if they are too long and uninteresting.

Hello and welcome.

I'm sure they'll be people along who are thinking of selling their s550, so you may find what you're looking for before it hits the big wide World.

As you work for Ford, can I ask that if ever you are in a relevant meeting, can you ask why Ford USA have been aware of the Hood / Bonnet paint blistering issue since 2005 and yet as of 2020 appear to have not found a fix for it.
    And now they have a wing paint blistering issue to sort out on the S550 as well.

My 2014 S197 doesn't have the issue, but every time I wash the car I fully expect to see it.

Stuart
    2014 GT/CS

Comment

Thanks Stuart - and thanks for the guidance on potentials on here. Yes, I will keep an eye on here to see what S550 comes along.

In terms of the quality control - it's not the meetings I attend unfortunately. But your point is a profound one.

So if I get this straight - the S197s were afflicted by sub standard bonnet paint and the S550s by wing paint blistering ? It is a bit unfathomable why this is happening, isn't it. They've had a few years - like over a decade - to sort this out.

As you would expect, the European claw into grey imports is always going to be difficult because there really is a "them and us" between the US and Europe, when it comes to US domestic models. But if that same trick is now appearing on the wings of the latest gen, then clearly the issue is there to be resolved still.

Hmmm...that's going to become a problem in the warranty dept, certainly with the later ones, I would expect, because paint is covered for quite a period, I believe.

I don't mind shaking some trees internally but I would like to grasp what we are talking about here in volumes and maybe I'll raise a thread. This is not good for the affected owner, agreed, but the issue (as you all would know) is that if the forum just becomes a melting pot for 50 people who have an issue, maybe 9000 don't. I am not trying to belittle this and that is why I want to know what the magnitude of this issue is.

Comment

Welcome to the forum mate and great choice of car you don’t need to start a thread there’s many lol this one isn’t mine however I was affected by the issues and joined in later
        So, a few weeks ago, i saw another S550 2016MY parked up. With a big smile on my face, walked towards it & noticed that the bottom right of the hood (where hood meets the lights) was bubbling with rust. At about 10 meters, it was quite noticeable. I thought to myself, ' the owner needs to get that looked asap' and then

Comment

Thanks for that guidance and linking up that thread.

Oh dear! I just started reading 1 of the 7 pages. This is looking a bit ugly!! I'll carry on with the rest in a mo.

I'll bow to your good guidance as I have only just wandered on here and still trying to find my feet, let alone throw a few suggestions around. However, if any of you want me to get under the skin of this one (so to speak), I am happy to because this does not help Ford's quality rep and my concern is what is the future used value of these cars (which is my agenda at Ford) if there is a shaky paintwork. So there is a personal hat on some of you with these blemishes but also a Ford hat that might need a poke about.

Sorry, I know it has been done to death on here, I am sure. But if that is the way forward, I would need to more concise thread to understand the state of the vehicles and who has been afflicted. I know that would be just yet another thread on the same problem. But evidence in volume is the only way here. 1 person wandering into the dealer with an issue is just one moaning customer. 200 owners starts to shake stuff about. 1000 owners and there is a problem.

I'll say no more. I might contribute to that thread but will keep silent on the above for fear of upsetting. In my long experience of forums, fewer members read the newbie section because we are just another person that has either bought or looking for a vehicle. That's not to downplay us who have joined - but you see what I mean. The rest of the board often holds more meaningful info.

Comment

Hi Daz, I sorted out the 55th Mustang birthday event for the club at Dunton and also the annual show which was held as the same time as the Frankies event when we were parked up on the test track.

I know you said you was after a S550 but some good earlier models are up for sale which have been well looked after by MOCGB members, one such example https://www.mocgb.net/forums/forum/w...day-to-do-this

To be honest parts are not that much of an issue and for larger parts STS Imports are able to help with shipping from the USA. On the whole they are pretty reliable if you get one that has been well looked after, plus you're having a saving over a S550 in purchase price and road tax and will still give you a smile every time you start her up.
            Editor Round Up
            2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6.4 Hemi Yellow Jacket
            2011 ROUSH Stage 2 Mustang
            1964.5 Vintage Burgundy 164hp 260ci V8 Convertible

Comment

Ah right. Great stuff!

I didn't see the 55th but certainly saw the display for the Frankie Event and it looked great! Hence gave me the inspiration. I wasn't based at Dunton at the time of the 55th, hence not seeing it.

Thanks for the info on the older Mustangs. I have considered these quite heavily as they are cheaper. It's not really the parts that I am worried about. It's that I can't take on another oldie. I realise that 2013/2014 is not old but I have sort of made my mind up to play it a bit straight on this one.

I am clinging onto the bottom of the S550 V8 rung really. But that same money would get me a very nice S197.

I'll take another look and thanks for the link. I was looking at the company in Grays Essex that sells the older ones. I was only casually looking but seemed to have a few nice ones, just from pictures and details.

Comment

At last!!!!

I have found one!!

It has only taken me 4 months to find a S550 V8 that I liked and whilst was right for me, seemed to be right for everyone else, such that most of the ones I looked at were sold before being advertised.

Anyway, I have bought an 18 plate and looking forward to 'Stang ownership. They do drive nicely and just love the growl. I received it last week and after a bit of a battle with the dealer - I won't go into detail but it was not a great purchase experience. Bit of a problem child. But anyway, all is history now and I am looking forward to fastback ownership.

Sorry, the pics aren't great. Just taken next to our caravan in the drive. I need to go somewhere picturesque with it to get some decent ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang-2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1254425Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang-3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1254426

Comment

Welcome to Mustang ownership,not just another car but an icon.

And as you chose the V8 how many cars do you know have an engine that has a name?

As winter approaches might be an idea to look at those PZeros (if you have them) ???

Just one thing please don’t use it for towing the caravan!!

Comment

Hi there - thanks for the welcome note. Yes, I know that this is one of those motors that is referred to by pots. That does make it special.

I also own the other car that is referred to by its engine. A Capri - mine being the 2.8i. I just refer to it as a 6 pot Cologne.

So I was thinking one being the spiritual successor in the UK to the other ? OK, perhaps not. One being built off the back of the success of the other ? Probably more accurate. Anyway, its strange how I jump out of one and into the other, everything is the same - but isn't. That probably doesn't make sense.

The way both drive are not too dissimilar. Yes, they are 40 yrs apart in design and that shows. But from the long bonnet, to the growl, to both wanting to go sideways, heavy front end, weight slightly lop sided towards the front end etc. They have their similarities. But once inside, it is a different place, of course, from the (now) basic layout on the Capri.

A massive evolution from the old Colt, perhaps.

It does have the PZeros and in the wet last week, I did experience how grippy they are. I can imagine in ice, they will be wonderful. Hmmmm....

No, the tug for the caravan is in the distance on the bottom picture. That is the tool for that job.

Comment

Originally posted by Daz-RSK View Post
                      At last!!!!

I have found one!!

It has only taken me 4 months to find a S550 V8 that I liked and whilst was right for me, seemed to be right for everyone else, such that most of the ones I looked at were sold before being advertised.

Anyway, I have bought an 18 plate and looking forward to 'Stang ownership. They do drive nicely and just love the growl. I received it last week and after a bit of a battle with the dealer - I won't go into detail but it was not a great purchase experience. Bit of a problem child. But anyway, all is history now and I am looking forward to fastback ownership.

Sorry, the pics aren't great. Just taken next to our caravan in the drive. I need to go somewhere picturesque with it to get some decent ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang-2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1254425Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang-3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1254426
                      Congratulations mate and a very warm welcome that’s a beautiful pony you have there .

Comment

Thank you.

It kind of took a bit of time to find. But I got there in the end!

I have a few bits that I may do. I do like the sound for the Roush axle backs and I hear there is a good place just down the road from me in Colchester, Essex for aftermarket Pony stuff. May look at an induction kit and just a little breathing on the motor. TBH, I am happy with it as it is and I always have the moto of getting used to the new shoes first before modifying them. I may get to next spring and think that this is all I need, leave alone!

Also, I'll let this year run out and then next year, as I am more of a fan of clubs than forums (always have been - except forums are the more modern way, I realise), I will join up and a be a fully subscribed member.

Let's hope 2021 is a better year for gathering and showing cars.
                        Last edited by Daz-RSK; 18-10-2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Well worth the hunt mate

Comment

great looking car mate welcome

Comment

Working...
                            X